KS Digital C8-Reference for Classical? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KS Digital C8-Reference for Classical?
Old 9th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
KS Digital C8-Reference for Classical?

Hello Fellow Recording enthusiasts,

We recently moved to another house where I use Bay Window / Sun lounge (2m x 4m) for listening and mixing music (of recordings I made) however the current loudspeakers (ADAM S2.5A, 200W 9" woofer) I'm using are rather large (to large) for the environment.

I tried during Christmas holidays some Focals Alpha 50 which sounded pretty however doesn't have bass and enough stereo depth to my likings so I returned these.

Now after surfing the internet I came across the KS Digital C8-Reference speakers of which I think they could fit my requirements due to compact size, coaxial speaker design which helps in less then good acoustic conditions and still a very good frequency range due to the 8" driver.

Anybody heard these KS Digital C8-Reference speakers and if so what's your opinion?

I record mainly Acoustic, Baroque and Classical music...so sound-stage is very important to me.

http://studio.ksdigital.de/en/produc...reference.html

Happy New Year!
Old 9th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For a recently released speaker this one has generated a lot of interest....and apparently has superior imaging:

DMAX Audio Introduces the Super Cubes 5 Active Near-Field monitors.
Old 9th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
coax speakers are hard to beat in terms of stereo image or more precisely, localisation of sound sources within the stereo or surround soundfield - however, reverb/ambi may sound a bit different at first...

i got to use ks c8's recently in a video studio: other than the lack of lf (typical for a speaker of this size), i had no complaints - wouldn't wanna use them without a sub though (but this goes for any speakers which cannot picture the lowest two ocatves properly).
Old 9th January 2021
dtf
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have worked with them during recording sessions a few times and was quite impressed. Artists seem to like them as well. I have worked on B&W for many years, so I found the transition a bit diffficult, especially in regard to judging timbre. But I found them very good at adapting to different environments/rooms and would not mind having them as part of my set.

Best,
Dirk
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sub is required you think?

I'm not listening very loud and the room is also small.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Dirk,

The new acoustics I'm in make me think of buying the compact coax speakers from KS Digital.
Do you think they have enough low-end or is a sub required?

Last edited by Gaston69; 9th January 2021 at 10:05 PM..
Old 10th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're sitting very close to them, they will become effectively near field speakers....so you'll have to decide whether you'll get that LF component via cross-referencing with headphones, or by using a sub bass speaker....or just ' imagining' what's missing from the near-fields. Time aligning your sub bass, either via DSP or simply with placement location will be necessary

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t.racks_dsp_4x4_mini.htm
Old 10th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am guessing that it shouldn't be too hard in your part of Europe to audition a pair of Geithain RL906? A friend of mine settled on the Geithain monitors after all the usual suspects - Neumann, Focal, etc. When I heard them, I was pretty impressed. Might be worth a listen?
Old 10th January 2021 | Show parent
Mastering Moderator

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf ➡️
I have worked with them during recording sessions a few times and was quite impressed. Artists seem to like them as well. I have worked on B&W for many years, so I found the transition a bit diffficult, especially in regard to judging timbre. But I found them very good at adapting to different environments/rooms and would not mind having them as part of my set.

Best,
Dirk
I have read some people complaining about the noise from the amp when idle (with no signal) with both the C8 and the larger C88.
Anybody noticed this?
I am asking as this could be a no-go for classical (or restoration) work. Same goes if used at close near-field range of course.
Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hello Jim,

Geithain RL906 are most likely out of my budget...I don't want to spend more then approx. 1800,- for a pair (or max. 2000,-)
Old 10th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’m using a C8. Love it. Imaging is superb and I don’t miss the lower octaves at all. I auditioned a lot of speakers before deciding on these. Can’t beat them for the price.

The noise from the amp is there if you put your ear on the speaker, but it is so low that it becomes a total non issue unless you’re 20cm away from the cone.

Only gripe I have is that there’s no digital input, but it’s really great. Very happy with them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hello Flextone,

I'm glad to hear some positive news as there aren't to many reviews and it seems that C8 is a it of an older design however what I am hoping for is that it is a best kept secret. I ordered a pair (with 30 day money back guarantee) to find out if they would fit the bill in my small listening room.
Old 10th January 2021
0VU
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hi Gaston,

The Genelec Ones have are very much worth a listen if they have anything in your budget range. After well over 20 years lugging my ATC SCM20ASLs (the die-cast ones) to location sessions, the Ones have finally prised me away.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi 0VU,

I gave my pair 8040 to my son who is really Happy with it and although I think sound nice I never like them for mixing. The Ones are probably totally different in terms of sound however they exceed my budget far...
Thanks for the Tip! Much appreciated.

Last edited by Gaston69; 10th January 2021 at 10:09 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston69 ➡️
Hello Flextone,

I'm glad to hear some positive news as there aren't to many reviews and it seems that C8 is a it of an older design however what I am hoping for is that it is a best kept secret. I ordered a pair (with 30 day money back guarantee) to find out if they would fit the bill in my small listening room.
I meant C8 Reference, for the record.

Congratulations! Let us know what you think, I went from genelecs to these too. Different sound, less harsh but precise and analytical. It’s great, and highly regarded by pros here in Germany. You made a good choice.
Old 26th March 2021
Lives for gear

Bump! Any update?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hello Flextone,

You write that you have ordered these monitors.
But so much time has passed, and there is no feedback from you. Are you disappointed in the C8 Reference? You didn't like them? Did you keep them for yourself or did you bring them back?
Share your experience with others.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomStudios ➡️
You write that you have ordered these monitors.
But so much time has passed, and there is no feedback from you. Are you disappointed in the C8 Reference? You didn't like them? Did you keep them for yourself or did you bring them back?
Share your experience with others.
Hello,

The ordered was placed however it toke such a long time that I cancelled the order and bought a pair of second hand Amphion Argon S3 with a ICE power 1200 Watt Amp. These are currently fulfilling my needs in the small room I am working in. I use in addition also SoundID/Sonarworks
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hello,

The ordered was placed however it toke such a long time that I cancelled the order and bought a pair of second hand Amphion Argon S3 with a ICE power 1200 Watt Amp. These are currently fulfilling my needs in the small room I am working in. I use in addition also SoundID/Sonarworks
Oh, it's weird that your order took so long. TOMANN has never had a problem with this before.
So I hoped to learn at least something from real users about the C8 reference.
There is really no detailed information all over the internet, it is getting kind of SECRET. And the KSD company itself, apparently, is not so important about the volume of sales. Everyone advertises their products a lot - and KSD on the other hand. The policy is not entirely clear.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomStudios ➡️
Oh, it's weird that your order took so long. TOMANN has never had a problem with this before.
So I hoped to learn at least something from real users about the C8 reference.
There is really no detailed information all over the internet, it is getting kind of SECRET. And the KSD company itself, apparently, is not so important about the volume of sales. Everyone advertises their products a lot - and KSD on the other hand. The policy is not entirely clear.
Thomann provides excellent service and delivers quick, after all it was KS Digital not supplying to Thomann in a timely manner. By the way I still would like to test the C8 loudspeakers…I like coaxial speakers (based on a pair of Tannoy’s I owned in the nineties)
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thomann provides excellent service and delivers quick, after all it was KS Digital not supplying to Thomann in a timely manner. By the way I still would like to test the C8 loudspeakers…I like coaxial speakers (based on a pair of Tannoy’s I owned in the nineties)
Agree.
I also see more advantages in the kaoxial system. There are no phase problems. There are no holes in the box. Much less problems with any room. But since I have a good acoustic finish in the room, I do not want to use correction programs. Because programs often do worse when changing their EQ. (this is just my own opinion).
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I believe there’s a pair of c-88 in the GS classifieds..
I’m not related with the sale in any way.

I’m on atc’s, but I do like the ks digital monitors..

Cheu
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Amphion for classical mixing - how are you liking them?

I got the 3LS, didn't like them with ICE-amps, moved to Class A/B, also had Class A on them but they need too much juice. However they do show the differences between amps clearly.
📝 Reply