Quantcast
Stem mixes and how they can be implemented into an audio production. - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stem mixes and how they can be implemented into an audio production.
Old 2 weeks ago
If you change the FX; you change the mix. You change the song. Print the FX in the stems. Print the proccessing in the stems. You can always re-process the stem. Or reproccess the mix as a whole. For me S.T.E.M.s [Stereo Tracks Extracted from Mix] is really just a way to preserve the vibe, sound, energy, tones. The literal foundation, of a mix. Cementing each element just so that the balance as a whole can be reworked. Thats all STEM mixing is.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Exactly!

Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer ➡️
If you change the FX; you change the mix. You change the song. Print the FX in the stems. Print the proccessing in the stems. You can always re-process the stem. Or reproccess the mix as a whole. For me S.T.E.M.s [Stereo Tracks Extracted from Mix] is really just a way to preserve the vibe, sound, energy, tones. The literal foundation, of a mix. Cementing each element just so that the balance as a whole can be reworked. Thats all STEM mixing is.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
exactly NOT!

everyone who's ever been into film mixing is familiar with the concept of 'stems': they can refer to a stereo bus but don't have to: in fact,

a stem is a group of sounds which belong together and which get routed to 1-channel to 8-channel wide buses

(theoretically even higher, depending on platform though)

___

and in terms of 'changing the mix', obviously, this is the whole purpose (on the request of the artists or producer mostly)! - i was specifically referring to the difference in sound between:

- situation 1 in which one changes the (mono) stem of the lead voocal which doesn't include any efx but leaves the (stereo) efx stem unaltered.

versus

- situation 2 in which one tweaks the entire (stereo) stem which includes the the vocal efx.

imo situation 1 leads to better results as the room/efx of the vocal doesn't get affected while in situation 2, the efx can get dull, overly bright, squashed or attenuated, depending on how the main contributor (lead vocal in our case) gets tweaked...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 12:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Apples and Oranges my friend, apples and oranges.

When I started this thread, I wanted to explain how I do things. And, how it has helped the cause and effect of my production ventures.

Furthermore, all my stem mixes are in stereo. None of my stem mixes are mono.

There's no doubt that others may have another mindset or dynamic on how they may want to mix a live broadcast. This is how I do it.

Corey Spencer understands exactly what I am referring to, and I appreciate it kindly.

Like I've stated before, YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
exactly NOT!

everyone who's ever been into film mixing is familiar with the concept of 'stems': they can refer to a stereo bus but don't have to: in fact,

a stem is a group of sounds which belong together and which get routed to 1-channel to 8-channel wide buses

(theoretically even higher, depending on platform though)

___

and in terms of 'changing the mix', obviously, this is the whole purpose (on the request of the artists or producer mostly)! - i was specifically referring to the difference in sound between:

- situation 1 in which one changes the (mono) stem of the lead voocal which doesn't include any efx but leaves the (stereo) efx stem unaltered.

versus

- situation 2 in which one tweaks the entire (stereo) stem which includes the the vocal efx.

imo situation 1 leads to better results as the room/efx of the vocal doesn't get affected while in situation 2, the efx can get dull, overly bright, squashed or attenuated, depending on how the main contributor (lead vocal in our case) gets tweaked...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
compañero!

my posts were not meant as a critique (except for the exclusive attribution of the term 'stem' to stereo); i much rather want to illustrate that there are (almost) always different ways to skin the cat:

my stems are anything from mono to stereo to l-c-r to 'quad' (vs 4-bus- wide but containing l-c-r plus lfe) to 5.1 but then, my preferred platform allows for say 5.1.4 production by assinging channels to 5.1 subgroups/stems plus an additional 4-bus-wide 'quad' stem.

[in that sense, our approaches indeed vary a bit - in terms of our demands and expectations of the results (and also of a range of artists for whom we have the pleasure of working), i don't think we differ much]

keep rocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➡️
Apples and Oranges my friend, apples and oranges.

When I started this thread, I wanted to explain how I do things. And, how it has helped the cause and effect of my production ventures.

Furthermore, all my stem mixes are in stereo. None of my stem mixes are mono.

There's no doubt that others may have another mindset or dynamic on how they may want to mix a live broadcast. This is how I do it.

Corey Spencer understands exactly what I am referring to, and I appreciate it kindly.

Like I've stated before, YMMV.
📝 Reply