Rode NTG5 quality control issue with constant RF interference - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rode NTG5 quality control issue with constant RF interference
Old 10th December 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Rode NTG5 quality control issue with constant RF interference

Hi

I was just about to pull the trigger and buy the Rode NTG5 after a long long research on the great www. It seemed to land in a sweetspot between great quality andl ower price (if I had the cash atm I would go Schoeps or Sennheiser).

BUT - maybe the quality is not so great after all -

Then I checked just once more and to my great dismay I found a video that adresses what seems to be a common issue with NTG5 (according to the comment section, where people seem to have the same problem). See link to video bellow.

This saddens me, of course, because I thought I had landed on something great. But on the other hand I am glad that I have not bought a product that COULD end up being faulty all of the sudden.

My question: have you guys had problems with or know of people who have encountered this problem with the NTG5? Is it "safe" to buy it?

Now, I am aware that products can fail - of course :-) But it seems like a lot of people have the same issue with the mic.

Hope that you can help me out!
Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KAbpL1COfU&t
Old 11th December 2020
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I once had a problem several years ago with rf interference with a pair of Neumann km184s (early version), and it turned out that my specific problem was due to inexpensive xlr cables. I changed over to canare cable with neutrix connectors and the problem disappeared immediately. Not saying there is no ongoing issue with that specific mic, but cheap cables can exacerbate that problem. You can also consider using an rf choke.
Old 14th December 2020
Gear Guru
When the original NT-2 was developed in the mid 1990's Rode reported rf interference from a Canadian buyer. It turned out to be caused by the wire leads of the .022uf WIMA MKP-2 roll-off caps wired on the output pins, the wire leads cause rectification.

Those were replaced by surface mount mono ceramic caps soldered across the pcb pads. No more rf. I'm pretty sure Rode considered this when they designed the NTG5. Use a good cable and maybe use some snap on ferrite chokes.
Old 14th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Audio Engineering Society Fellow and interference expert Jim Brown has some papers on problems like this:
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm
Old 14th December 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the replies! So there is actually an easy fix for the poor guy in the video (and all the other folks who have commented about the same problem). Thats a relief! I didn't know about this sort of thing. What I do not understand then is that many of them say that their ntg5 started doing it from one moment to the next - after months or years. Is the problem in the video even RF interference? (I just used the same wording as the guy who uploaded the video and addressed the problem).
Old 26th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks for raising topic for this problem! Sadly, i've got it too... And still haven't figured it out. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance
S.
Old 26th January 2021
Gear Guru
Contact Rode about that issue, they should know about it by now.
Old 26th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sennheiser MKH had RF probs sometimes.
Crystal needed retune
Old 27th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seva Zolotko ➑️
Thanks for raising topic for this problem! Sadly, i've got it too... And still haven't figured it out. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance
S.
If you think you have a pin 1 problem, make an XLR cable with the case jumpered to pin 1 inside the female XLR and PLEASE mark it as such. You will find this cleans up UHF interference issues with a lot of microphones with pin 1 issues, most notably the Neumann KMS105.
--scott
Old 28th January 2021
Gear Guru
A possible quick fix is to use a snap on ferrite bead clamp, available from Mouser or Digi-Key. They come in various diameters mounted in a plastic box that snaps over a cable. Mount them about 2 inches back from the preamp input.
Old 31st January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I own two NTG5s (best bang for buck shotgun by a mile imo) but I haven't had any issues with mine so far after 6+ months. Even if I did have an issue though, the mics come with a 10-year warranty so I won't be worrying.

I will say though: I did have a fault on a Rode NTG-3B many years ago (low level odd swishing/hissing sound) that required it to be sent back for repair. Had it back and fixed within 10 days though.
Old 31st January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 ➑️
I own two NTG5s (best bang for buck shotgun by a mile imo) but I haven't had any issues with mine so far after 6+ months. Even if I did have an issue though, the mics come with a 10-year warranty so I won't be worrying.

I will say though: I did have a fault on a Rode NTG-3B many years ago (low level odd swishing/hissing sound) that required it to be sent back for repair. Had it back and fixed within 10 days though.
Ah, didn't know about the 10-year warranty - this puts a bit more easy to my mind in regards to getting it! Though it would be "not so nice" if it starts misbehaving in the middle of a job or somewhere out in the wild.
Old 2nd February 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
My ntg5 was replaced by local dealer (issues with my motu mk3 hybrid and EDIROL R-4 Pro) and my second ntg5 have the same problems. On my motu mk3 and my friend's emu. Sennheiser 416 on the same units works like a charm.
Old 2nd February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzogg ➑️
My ntg5 was replaced by local dealer (issues with my motu mk3 hybrid and EDIROL R-4 Pro) and my second ntg5 have the same problems. On my motu mk3 and my friend's emu. Sennheiser 416 on the same units works like a charm.
Try a cable jumper if you even SUSPECT a pin one problem.
--scott
Old 2nd February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentzen ➑️
Ah, didn't know about the 10-year warranty - this puts a bit more easy to my mind in regards to getting it! Though it would be "not so nice" if it starts misbehaving in the middle of a job or somewhere out in the wild.
For any paid work you'd probably want two anyway, it's always best to have a backup on hand (that's the reason why I bought two).
Old 3rd February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
For any paid work you'd probably want two anyway, it's always best to have a backup on hand (that's the reason why I bought two).
True!

So, buy two of the perhaps faulty mics, instead of one

just kidding - I get what you are saying
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well... it's a good thing I bought a spare because one of my NTG5s turned faulty mid-shoot on Sunday. I had to ask for another take when the director was happy to move on which I didn't enjoy. Less than a year since purchase. Disappointing .

I'll be contacting Rode support tomorrow morning...
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well... it's a good thing I bought a spare because one of my NTG5s turned faulty mid-shoot on Sunday. I had to ask for another take when the director was happy to move on which I didn't enjoy. Less than a year since purchase. Disappointing .

I'll be contacting Rode support tomorrow morning...
Sorry to hear that, mate I hope that they will sort out the problem asap and they will soon make a new NTG that sounds as good as the NTG-5, but is not prone to faulty behaviour.

I will NEVER buy an NTG-5 now - too bad, I thought it was "the one".
Pretty lame that RODE is not really taking care of this issue.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
RF capsules can have issues, but their advantages out weigh occasional tuning blips
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 ➑️
RF capsules can have issues, but their advantages out weigh occasional tuning blips
That's true, but the MKH416 is solidly reliable and keeps working for decades under terrible conditions.
--scott
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
MKH 416 only failed me twice in 40 yrs field work
Both times in the face of extreme TV propagation, once opposite a NHK transmitter in Tokyo and the other under Radio Romania Transmitter in Bucharest.
Strangely my Trams plus Micron Radios worked well in each situation....
πŸ“ Reply