The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
recording solo piano with Faulkner 2 mic array
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
recording solo piano with Faulkner 2 mic array

I am thinking about recording a solo piano using a Faulkner 2-mic array. (Note: Faulkner 2-mic Array is Two figure-of-eight microphones placed parallel to each other, pointed straight ahead, and spaced 20 cm or 7.87 inches apart.)

Anyone care to share your experiences with using such an array on piano? I am particularly interested in your thoughts of where to place the array relative to the piano and/or what you think are the merits of various placements.

Thanks.
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Isn't the point of the Faulkner phased-array setup to eliminate a bad side wall reflection?
So the positioning would be dependent on what is wrong with the room.
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are you planning to use condensors or ribbons ?

By way of a partial reply, check out the posts between 114 and 117 by Plush in this following thread:
"Resolution" magazine profiles Plush

He mentions (and shows in a photo) using a pair of Rode NTR ribbon mics in the Decca Tail location, which involves spacing them at around 8-9 inches. So, perhaps inadvertently, he's given you an answer !

Last edited by studer58; 14th September 2020 at 05:50 AM..
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Addict

I have not videos nor public recordings on piano, but I used this technique on harpsichord with success:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et45O43SufY

I would use any position between Decca tail and a regular AB position, possibly more towards the diagonal as this tends to sound best imo.
||: setup, listen, correct :||
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
That is my first call for piano spots: usually with the samar vl37. Decca tail position.

One trick is to angle them out slightly to widen the pickup to fit whatever room image you're going for
Old 22nd September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I know it's off the original topic...but it's great to be able local concerts again with an appreciative audience in attendance ! Here's a blast of Shostakovich piano I recorded this week....
Attached Files

Prelude and Fugue.mp3 (5.75 MB, 626 views)

Old 10th October 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum ➡️
I am thinking about recording a solo piano using a Faulkner 2-mic array.
This video uses two forward facing Rode NTRs (bidirectional) on piano except they appear to be spaced about 36cm apart.

https://youtu.be/lEgRsHjoF4c
Old 10th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOp ➡️
One trick is to angle them out slightly to widen the pickup to fit whatever room image you're going for
I used a pair of Milab DC196s in Faulkner stereo many times recording chamber music in difficult spaces and often found myself angling them out just a touch, maybe to a subtended angle of about 30° I suppose (never measured it) but the difference was worth it.
Old 10th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum ➡️
I am thinking about recording a solo piano using a Faulkner 2-mic array. (Note: Faulkner 2-mic Array is Two figure-of-eight microphones placed parallel to each other, pointed straight ahead, and spaced 20 cm or 7.87 inches apart.)

Anyone care to share your experiences with using such an array on piano? I am particularly interested in your thoughts of where to place the array relative to the piano and/or what you think are the merits of various placements.

Thanks.
In an amusing twist of meta-self referencing, we also have Plush demonstrating on video an alternative piano pickup recommended by Tony Faulkner himself...admittedly when the piano is an accompanying instrument to the violin, not solo piano. Faulkner references the Decca tail pickup using Omni mics, rather his own fig 8 phased array.
You can see it (at 4:47 ) in the following video : https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=CkbkoP8tCMk

If the dual fig 8 mics were used on piano also, in this video demonstration, rather than the similarly spaced Omni pair, you could expect even more isolation of bleed from the violin...which may or may not be desirable ? Anyhow, I'm conscious that this is now diverging significantly from the OP's original question about solo piano, so no more horse flogging on this one....

Last edited by studer58; 10th October 2020 at 02:08 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Assuming that the mic pair are outside the distance where proximity LF boost would come into play (for directional mics like fig8), the main difference you might expect between similarly located Faulkner AB fig 8's and Decca Tail omnis (at similar if not identical 8" spacing) would be bass extension... and perhaps a curtailment of ambience pickup with the fig 8's ?
📝 Reply