Quantcast
New Book Coming on Decca Recording Technique - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Book Coming on Decca Recording Technique
Old 4th September 2020
New Book Coming on Decca Recording Technique

Hi everyone,

Wanted to let you all know that 3 ex-Decca engineers are about to release their book on the topic of recording techniques at the label:

Classical Recording: A Practical Guide in the Decca Tradition (Audio Engineering Society Presents) https://www.amazon.com/dp/0367312808..._cRxuFbTAX53M8

I’m really looking forward to it, I’m sure many of you will be interested as well!
Old 4th September 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Just placed a preorder. Thanks.

I you are local, you can borrow it when I'm done. It will stay in the library though, I think.

D.
Old 4th September 2020
Deleted 141eef3
Very welcome news, thank you for letting us know!
Old 4th September 2020
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The Legendary John Dunkerley REPRESENTS.

Gave them the business with a pre-order.

Bravo!
Old 4th September 2020
Lives for gear

I'm not a fan of the technique, but I am a huge fan of Dunkerley and I'm jumping on this. Many thanks for letting us know about it!
--scott
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the heads-up, Kevin! Preorder placed!
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Note for AES members - this book is part of the "Audio Engineering Society Presents" series, published by routledge/focal.

If you place your order through the AES Member portal you can receive a 30% discount (even in Australia dollars, which are already at a 30% discount on USD )

(Note: Using the supplied link, Amazon US indicates they will not ship to my Australian address; Amazon AUS only offer - presently - the Kindle edition!)

Last edited by panatrope; 21st September 2020 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: availability
Old 21st September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pre-ordered. Looking forward to reading it.

Tom
Old 6th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
While we're twiddling our thumbs waiting for the Decca book, here's another reason to stay alive until 2021....

https://www.routledge.com/Recording-.../9781138554702

If you click the 'Read more' tab under the Table of Contents, you'll see the 344 pages might be giving you much more than you bargained for (in terms of the history of recorded guitar) and perhaps less also (in terms of how to record it) ?

We'll have wait until April 20th next year to find out....now, back to Decca lore !

Edit **...as panatrope mentioned above, if you order through Routledge/Taylor & Francis rather than Amazon, you get free global shipping on the Decca book:
https://www.routledge.com/policies/shipping-policy

Edit 2: you might be interested in this (2010 ?) interview video with Tony Faulkner which has recently resurfaced, wherein he talks about compression, mastering, a Gearslutz incident long past, phased arrays, surround recording and much more:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v8qkjoWJwSI

Last edited by studer58; 6th October 2020 at 12:41 PM..
Old 15th October 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Really looking forward to this book coming out! I’ve been very fortunate to have been taught classical recording technique by all three authors as part of the Tonmeister course, and assisted John on some recordings. Their knowledge combined is truly exceptional, and they are incredibly lovely people too!
Old 16th October 2020
Deleted 141eef3
I received my copy earlier this week, and have been reading it slowly and carefully with the attention it deserves, but already I can unequivocally say that this book (in my opinion) absolutely belongs in the same company as the most substantial, well-written, and important books in the field: Tonmeister Technology, Acoustics and the Performance of Music, Richard King's recent volume, etc.
Old 18th October 2020
Gear Maniac

Amazon says that mine is shipping Nov 2. Looking forward to this one!
Old 18th October 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Which version are you all getting? Hardback or paperback?

I'm staggered to see something like £80 difference between the two - I have the paperback version ordered and I'm really looking forward to reading it but I'm left wandering, what would the extra cash buy me, other than a more rigid outer cover? Is that supposed to be for university texts or library copies?
£120 for a 410 page books just seems a little excessive to me, but perhaps the niche nature of the content makes is a low seller?!?

Dave
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJones ➡️
Which version are you all getting? Hardback or paperback?
I'm tempted towards eBook/Kindle version this time, mainly for speed of delivery...though it's barely any money-saving at all over the paperback version. Given that it's 400+ pages, I might regret later the eBook version...any user suggestions for folks here familiar with both book formats ?
Old 18th October 2020
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The author told me to buy the paperback version.
Old 22nd October 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I got mine! I'll delve in later today.

D.
Attached Thumbnails
New Book Coming on Decca Recording Technique-62508373318__562cb7d0-2b06-484c-a358-08f22e8e0ee9.jpg  
Old 22nd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️

D.
Wow. You must REALLY like it...

H
Old 22nd October 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Haha! Yeah, a triple post no less. Had trouble getting the picture to load,

Oh, and I AM happy to have it as well.

D.
Old 22nd October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️

D.
From where please?
Old 22nd October 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Amazon.

D.
Old 23rd October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A bit off topic (no, not really...) some photos from the golden years Decca team at work on the 60's Wagner recordings: the thunder machine, the offstage steerhorns, Jimmy Lock adjusting The Tree, the Culshaw crew on site

https://lee.classite.com/music/general/REC1.htm

Also, it clearly wasn't only Decca who used the Tree...here's a DG session from 1975 with Solti using an M50 Tree. Seems low enough that Sir Georg could've reached up and touched them !

Also (maybe due to the camera angle) the outrigger/flank mic looks a lot closer to the Tree than I would have imagined it to be ?

Dig that sign attached to the mic stand too....'Rauchen verboten'
Couldn't be anywhere else than Vienna in the 70's....

https://artsandculture.google.com/as...7gHsc3L0jCOWPA

If you're inclined towards more picture sleuthing of the era, the link between these two sources is the photographer, Elfriede Hanak

Last edited by studer58; 23rd October 2020 at 02:39 AM..
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Also, it clearly wasn't only Decca who used the Tree...here's a DG session from 1975 with Solti using an M50 Tree. Seems low enough that Sir Georg could've reached up and touched them!
The photo also says this was from his Vienna session recording of Wagner's Die Meistersinger, which was released on Decca. (In fact, I can't think of any Solti release on DG...). Not surprising, as all the old Polygram (now Universal) labels can't keep anything straight these days...

Got my notice of the book's arrival this Sunday!
Old 23rd October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In the picture below, both the talkback speaker and recording warning light are identical to that used in the Solti pic in post #21 ...which confirms Mike Hughes contention that it was indeed a Decca session, and not for DG

One more vintage Tree photo, this one from the Sofiensaal, September-October 1968, at a session with the Wiener Oktett...taken from the booklet accompanying the box set "Decca Sound...The Analogue Years"...and again captured by Elfriede Hanak, this time from an elevated position.

It's relatively unusual to see pictures of the Tree used by Decca for ensembles smaller than a symphony orchestra...complete with flankers/outriggers (clearly not needed for the octet).

Note the absorptive screening behind the horn, with spot mic somewhat in its focal area...often in concert situations such a baffle might be reflective in nature, to throw the sound forward to the audience. Here the aim seems to be in preventing it reflecting off the rear hall wall, and to give a drier and tighter sound at the spot perhaps ?

The Tree is quite elevated in height...hard to guess, but it looks higher than 10 feet ? Equally, the height of the double bass spot is perhaps greater than expected ?
Attached Thumbnails
New Book Coming on Decca Recording Technique-wiener-oktett-sofiensaal-decca-tree.jpg  

Last edited by studer58; 23rd October 2020 at 02:26 PM..
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
Definitely a Decca session, though perhaps you were making a joke, sorry I didn't catch it!

Quote:
A bit off topic (no, not really...) some photos from the golden years Decca team at work on the 60's Wagner recordings: the thunder machine, the offstage steerhorns, Jimmy Lock adjusting The Tree, the Culshaw crew on site

https://lee.classite.com/music/general/REC1.htm

Also, it clearly wasn't only Decca who used the Tree...here's a DG session from 1975 with Solti using an M50 Tree. Seems low enough that Sir Georg could've reached up and touched them !

Also (maybe due to the camera angle) the outrigger/flank mic looks a lot closer to the Tree than I would have imagined it to be ?

Dig that sign attached to the mic stand too....'Rauchen verboten'
Couldn't be anywhere else than Vienna in the 70's....

https://artsandculture.google.com/as...7gHsc3L0jCOWPA

If you're inclined towards more picture sleuthing of the era, the link between these two sources is the photographer, Elfriede Hanak
Old 23rd October 2020
My book came yesterday as well!

John's been my mentor for much of the last decade, and as a result i've seen some unfinished bits of this in my studies with him. And that said, with some idea of what to expect, I am still thoroughly blown away by how much information there is in this book, and how precise and well-documented it is. Heights, distances, sound descriptors.... There's even SRA proofs in some sections!

I knew this was going to be a stellar book and for me it's exceeded all expectations. The authors have gone so far above and beyond what is offered in other similar texts, specifically in terms of mic technique and listening cues. I think even if you're not going to use a Decca tree or Decca piano tail or any other Decca-specific technique, there's still a lot to be gained here in terms of just general recording theory, in terms of how to listen, how to conceive a spot mic'ing plan, how to approach delays in large setups, how to approach studio vs live projects, etc. There is a lot of Decca technique information, obviously, but also a lot of practical and general information about these and many other situations we remote engineers find ourselves in regularly.

My hats off to the authors, great work on this text.
Old 30th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You lucky guys, receiving your print copies already....thought I'd side-step the waiting line by ordering the eBook version instead...but turns out I still have to wait until mid November before it's liberated for download !
Old 30th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
You lucky guys, receiving your print copies already....thought I'd side-step the waiting line by ordering the eBook version instead...but turns out I still have to wait until mid November before it's liberated for download !
Please let us know how that eBook version looks/works. It's the Wild West out there: I've bought e-books that had multiple typos and missing words on every page, e-books whose graphics were completely messed up, with figures on the wrong pages and references to them going nowhere, and others where the publishers took the time to format and proofread them correctly. Once you go beyond just text it gets tricky...for most books that rely heavily on illustrations or photographs I end up buying the print version, with the exception of software manuals (which go out of date so quickly that buying a print version is silly; the e-books often get updated as new versions of the software are released).
Old 31st October 2020
I’d like to add my voice of praise for this volume. It’s superbly written and so detailed, and the material on antiphonal church choirs (i.e. in stalls), which forms the bulk of my work week-to-week at the moment, is supremely helpful, and lacking in other such volumes I have read. I’m already trying some of it out! It’s also really opened my eyes to the idea that one needn’t always have one main pickup, as such. A fascinating book which I’m dipping into and re-reading.

As someone who went to university to study Music and only really got into sound recording afterwards, it’s great to have some of the benefit of the Surrey Tonmeister course teaching in the form of volumes written by some of the lecturers.
Old 31st October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Got mine, paperback, Amazon. Yay Focal Press!
Old 31st October 2020
Gear Head
I’ll add to the growing chorus—this is an incredible book, and a necessary purchase for anyone in this field. I stayed up late last night after my copy came in, simply browsing through and digesting bit after bit of incredible, grounded knowledge. Absolutely fundamental part of the literature now.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…