Pipe organ recording equipment and technique - Page 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pipe organ recording equipment and technique
Old 11th August 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgeltonmeister ➡️
Although a bit off-topic, I have thought about going into the concert video field, as so many cameramen have become sound-engineers, but such investment I would finance with selling off more microphones and things out of my vintage collection of equipment.
It's a good idea to have at least 1 camera on the organist's hands...a single long held shot of the organ in the venue, perhaps with the organist's back to the camera, doesn't make for very riveting viewing !

A small HD or 4K handi-cam video camera is really inexpensive and quite sufficient for the organist view, if used relatively close to them with sufficient lighting. Ditto for the distant long shot...or even a GoPro could suffice for that.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgeltonmeister ➡️
Although a bit off-topic, I have thought about going into the concert video field, as so many cameramen have become sound-engineers, but such investment I would finance with selling off more microphones and things out of my vintage collection of equipment.
A very good English organist is doing quite a few videos on his You Tube channel, and does the video editing and decent sound recording himself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpZ0xW6VVIA
he is quite prolific, and uses the "Hauptwerk" organ sounds, as well as "proper pipe organs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Allison ➡️
A very good English organist is doing quite a few videos on his You Tube channel, and does the video editing and decent sound recording himself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpZ0xW6VVIA
he is quite prolific, and uses the "Hauptwerk" organ sounds, as well as "proper pipe organs
Always interesting to see others work in a complete different ways. Four Neumann KM184 plus a pair of TLM170 would not be my very first choice for recording organs, but if that was what I had to use, no doubt I would come home with something decent sounding. More interesting for me to see what Richard McVeigh is using for camera equipment, there I am a complete layman. Thanks for your post Peter.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Check Organum Novus 3 cd set
Incredible new release
Incredible playing by Randall Harlow
(Innova Records)

https://www.amazon.com/Organon-Novus.../dp/B08HRCNG5K
Attached Thumbnails
Pipe organ recording equipment and technique-organum-novus-cover-shot.jpg  
Old 11th August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, very nice; repertoire, instrument and recording
Excellent recording Hud !
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here's a look into an early 1971 quad (surround) organ and assorted instruments recording session in SF's Grace Cathedral: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archiv...ng-1971-06.pdf
Written by Robert Orban, pages 25-27. It doesn't strike me as a particularly well planned session, with mic selections somewhat defeated by the large acoustic space ?

Last edited by studer58; 3 weeks ago at 02:36 AM..
📝 Reply