The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reso 48-100V smart phantom power. Sound Examples.
Old 18th February 2021 | Show parent
DAH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I listened to 4006 vs 21 and 41 samples. 4006 wins in terms of 3d space and depth. Hint: check the linearity of the phase response. Noise level is not be all end all.

Last edited by DAH; 27th February 2021 at 04:30 AM..
Old 26th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sound of both microphones are quite close in terms of quality...well done
Old 28th February 2021
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Reso ➑️
Hi everyone!

Direct-powered microphones (such as DPA4003, 4041S, and similar) are known for its top-notch sound performance, impossible for P48 models. But they have also important cons:

- Incompatible with P48 when you need it.
- Requires special multi-wire cables.
- You are always tied to the PSU (or special pre).

I'm developing these microphones. https://web.facebook.com/resolabs/

It seem we've found a solution of the problem. We've designed a mic powering architecture capable to achieve the speed and clarity of direct powered mics without special cables, but by using a high voltage phantom power 100V. But that's not all. The amplifier designed the way that literally the same microphone work at P48 too, providing the performance of the best P48 mics. (Magic?) This made possible by long research, meticulous design and modern high-speed semiconductors.

The system is called Reso Xpower, this is how it works:

-The microphone has a regular XLR-3 connector.
-Being connected to P48 pre it works at max performance possible for P48 mic in terms of sound and specs. (for instance Reso X41P has 124dB dynamic range).
-When you need the top transient accuracy and dynamic range, you can connect the external P100 phantom power source. The microphone will automatically change its mode to getting best performance possible depending on powering used.
-No special cables, only XLR-3 connectors. The P100 PSU can be connected as an insert in any spot of mic line ( e.g. close to preamps).
-100% safe for all P48 environment. This is a vital issue. PSU has a safety system. When mic is disconnected - high-voltage is blocked. If the wrong mic connected - the current protection blocks it from damaging.

Sound examples. Steel guitar, two pairs of X41P on the same bar, P48 vs P100.
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/5CFM/5BdJY7ryq

All the Reso mics are equipped with P48/P100 since the start, but for instance Schoeps CMC-4,5 (6?) could be modded for P48/P100 too.

The PSU is designed, prototyped and tested, but has not been serial produced yet.

I'm very curious what you think.
i have four b&k 4007's which i don't get to use as often as i'd like to, for a multidude of reasons, the most important one being self noise though... - would your modification change anything in terms of self noise?

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 28th February 2021 at 03:04 PM..
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
Hello, thanks for the question. In the case of 4007 the bottleneck for noise performance is a capsule. The powering system is unable to improve it by anyhow. Anyway, 4007 is a good hi-SPL microphone that has its own use. As for the main system there are more suitable solutions, like our Reso X21 which is based on 1/2" nickel capsule, 50 mV/Pa, <15 dBA noise. We've designed a set of grids and 40mm sphere, which allow this mic to cover the tasks of Mk2, 2H, 2S + sphere carefully modeled after sound M-50. In this case, 100V does the difference too.
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
thx for elaborating!
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hello Dan, today I listened to the soundfiles that you posted in this thread, and consider me impressed!

How are things going forward? I understand that Covid19 hasn't made the launch easier, but is there some progress?

I live in the Netherlands, and is there the opportunity to test the X21P?

I could do some comparisons with various other high-end SDC's...

Maybe we could then send them through to others here in Western-Europe?

Best wishes,

Lucas
Old 10th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, if the Reso mics are as quiet as this thread, then they are all the more interesting...
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is the Reso initiative indeed dead? That would be really sorry, because they seemed very interesting...
Old 2 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd buy 2 40mm spheres for 1/2 B&K unless it is in Shoeps' price range.
πŸ“ Reply