Quantcast
Solo piano omni mics smallish room - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solo piano omni mics smallish room
Old 25th June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Question Solo piano omni mics smallish room

6.5 foot grand piano in a smallish room with some realtraps treatment. A last minute recording request so not huge time to experiment. Will stereo omni pair work well? Or is it usually stereo cardioid?

Thank you.
Old 11th July 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What did you do...? How did it sound...?

A pair of omnis (I regularly use a pair of DPA4061 miniatures) inside the lid can work just fine, with proper placement, and the lid down, or on short stick, if the room klang still gets into the recording.

Sorry this is late... would like to know what and how...

HB
Old 11th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav ➡️
What did you do...? How did it sound...?

A pair of omnis (I regularly use a pair of DPA4061 miniatures) inside the lid can work just fine, with proper placement, and the lid down, or on short stick, if the room klang still gets into the recording.

Sorry this is late... would like to know what and how...

HB
Thanks for the input. I've just noticed this is a double posting, not sure how that happened.

Anyway if you check the other thread of same title there is an mp3 of my recording and details of what I used.

I'd like to invest in some miniature mics at some point. Next time I will try the lid on shortest stick.
Old 11th July 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A Ha. I missed the earlier post... My general grand piano mic'ing (especially on reinforcement gigs) is a single DPA4061 taped to the frame at the point the low and high strings cross, with the element about 3cm above the frame member. When I do a "stereo" coverage, I do a gaff tape "bridge" across the frame 20-30cm "back" from the hammers, with the 4061 elements at 1/3-2/3 across the width, lid up or down, depending on the situation. Nice "natural" presentation of the piano, with very little EQ or feedback suppression needed. It's not a "Elton John" kind of sound... just what the instrument sounds like, with very little interaction with the environment. When I'm in a decent space, I use a pair of SDCs in a 20-30cm AB placed "up and out" from the open lid to taste.

I was taught the DPAs "trick" by my pal Rich Mays (Sonare), who explained that the 4060/61 were extremely "flat" response and, being inside the "box", any "small mic self-noise" was inconsequential. I've never had an instance over the decade I've been doing this of a pianist or choir director being anything but complimentary of the sound.

Anyway... cheers!

HB
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…