Quantcast
How's your world looking? - Page 50 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How's your world looking?
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
fact/current state of knowledge is that vaccinated people transmit less of the virus...

..and wearing a mask is the least of my worries, even when doing hard work!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Wearing a mask per se doesn't bother me except it fogs up the viewfinder on one of my cameras. FWIW, it's less of an issue with my other cameras fitted with larger aftermarket eyecups.

I tend to think masks are here to stay for large group situations indoors for the forseeable future.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
fact/current state of knowledge is that vaccinated people transmit less of the virus...

..and wearing a mask is the least of my worries, even when doing hard work!
If vaccination alone was sufficient, then the replication rate would be declining in all countries where the vaccination rate is steadily (even if slowly, now) rising. That is clearly not the case in many parts of Europe. A FOPH vaccination certificate is no proof of an inability to pass on the disease. Mask wearing, avoiding crowded and non-air-vented spaces, vaccination are all contribution methods for reducing spread...nothing has changed there.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks ➡️
Wearing a mask per se doesn't bother me except it fogs up the viewfinder on one of my cameras. FWIW, it's less of an issue with my other cameras fitted with larger aftermarket eyecups.

I tend to think masks are here to stay for large group situations indoors for the forseeable future.
Try RainX on the eyepiece glass.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
If vaccination alone was sufficient, then the replication rate would be declining in all countries where the vaccination rate is steadily (even if slowly, now) rising. That is clearly not the case in many parts of Europe. A FOPH vaccination certificate is no proof of an inability to pass on the disease. Mask wearing, avoiding crowded and non-air-vented spaces, vaccination are all contribution methods for reducing spread...nothing has changed there.
pls note that i didn't say vaccinationen alone stops the virus/i'm with you that together will all other methods it helps to slow down transmission...

...which is why i'm not getting why some folks complain about the most simply yet highly effective measures such as wearing a mask!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, I reckon the mask’s overall comfort…and its seemingly paradoxical role of droplet containment and allowing lung air exchange could use a rethink ?

I’m not going to cut a Rycote fluffy zeppelin frame apart for experimental purposes, but in principle it seems to embrace the attributes which would make for an effective mask too ?

Perhaps a compressed version of its multilayer construction (without the enclosed ‘still air’ afforded by the cage structure) is the right track for a mask substitute…?

Or some kind of fine multiple layer mesh (similar to that which covers your typical SD omni mic) which affixes directly to the nose and mouth ?

We’re stuck with oral/nasal filtering (currently… masks) for the foreseeable future…where’s the R’nD to give us the ergonomically improved 21st C version which doesn’t cause some folks to experience significant discomfort when worn all day or during above-average exertion ?

What’s needed is a reverse-engineering of the naso-pharyngeal system…which warms, filters and moisturises air between nose intake and lung gas exchange.

Industry and the automotive sector have invented multiple sundry filters, traps and path diverters over past 150 years…this just represents an evolution tweak to that !

I don’t consider our current n-95 surgical or cloth mask, no matter how close fitting…to be any great ‘statement of the art’ in droplet/vapour control….it’s merely sufficient-to-competent (and cheap !)

Who knows….it might even give us a better mic windscreen as a trickle-down tech evolution !

Last edited by studer58; 6 days ago at 10:10 AM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Droplets are way bigger than molocules, @ studer58 , but there are indeed differences in efficacy between masks. Cloth masks are the worst: a decent two layer one is maybe 30-35% better than nothing. It may not seem especially worthwhile to an individual, but considered on a population-wide basis it can be the difference between an Ro that's worrisome vs. one that's catastrophic. Also, it's important to distinguish raw risk from worst-case cost. The cost of a serious COVID infection is extremely high: a weeks-long process of something akin to drowning. Given an easy way to lower the odds of that happening to me by 3X, I'll take it. I wear glasses, so I had to figure out how to keep them from fogging. Double-sided mask tape on the bridge of my nose works pretty well for me. This is the how I mask at work, since it's a big facility and I'm rarely close to anybody.

Simple non-woven surgical masks are about twice as good as cloth ones because they augment finite-size filtration with electrostatic particle attraction. Just don't leave them in a very hot car, lest the membrane depolarize. I prefer to avoid disposables, but that's what I wear in crowded public spaces.

A N-95 mask is so-named because it's about 95% effective. If you're in a situation where you will be exposed, not just might be, that's the PPE you need. We keep a small stock in the house in case one of us gets sick.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Yes, I reckon the mask’s overall comfort…and its seemingly paradoxical role of droplet containment and allowing lung air exchange could use a rethink ?

I’m not going to cut a Rycote fluffy zeppelin frame apart for experimental purposes, but in principle it seems to embrace the attributes which would make for an effective mask too ?
Who knows….it might even give us a better mic windscreen as a trickle-down tech evolution !
I am looking forward to the release of the Rycote 'Dead Cat' covid mask. It should be particularly popular with hirsute audio engineers who feel the look of their beards is spoiled by the current style of masks. Of course, it will be available in a range of colours. No doubt the Antipodean versions will be produced by Rode.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If the latest variant takes over from Delta, as Delta did to its predecessor, and is able to do this due to enhanced airborne transmissability....then as David Rick shows above, the efficacy of masks is going to be the biggest factor in community and individual safety, well ahead of double or triple vaccination (assuming current vaccinations remain protective against the Big O ?)

The following interview (with the South African doctor who raised the alarm there last week) suggexts that a different suite of (much less severe) symptome awaits with Omicron....we can but hope that it proves to be thus...

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational...ptoms/13653002
https://abcmedia.akamaized.net/rn/po...11129_0735.mp3
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…