Quantcast
How's your world looking? - Page 47 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How's your world looking?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1381
Lives for gear
 
JayTee4303's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I got the Jeep fixed. Rust had frozen so much that the lug nuts and brake rotor laughed 6 foot steel levers, but 7 footers and a gear puller broke em loose. LR backup and running lights inop, but the turn signal works.

Video from five shows is on hard drive, audio yet to go. I need a clip from one to promote Friday's gig.

The yard's a mess, but I'll get on that this afternoon, after I finish up in the control room.

A DL/lights gig in September cancelled, Covid concerns, but they're happy to get 50% back, because I promised them the deposit too, if I can fill the date. Booking agency bills in full, holds half till after the gig.

Pretty crazy... but better than 2020.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1382
Lives for gear
 
fred2bern's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
My world looks like this:

It was last week.
Cheers from Switzerland. Fred.
Attached Thumbnails
How's your world looking?-09-imgext.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1383
Lives for gear
 
hbphotoav's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
IF ONLY I could convince my regular Sunday AM gig to treat the "brand new" 400-seat 2-story tall, square-ish concrete/drywall/glass/hardboard (with one 4' wide "band" of 1" compressed fiberglass "treatment" installed set back level with the wall) to deploy fabric and hardwood diffusion like your room's... I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1384
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Get a few givers to make "designated gifts" restricting use of their funds to installing the treatment.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1385
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
in the meantime, the concert before which i had expressed my concerns took place: unfortunately, the result was disappointing, as expected - to such an extent that the promotor felt compelled to apologise to his sponsors and patrons...

(the performance was great: fatoumata diawara is an excellent performer and possibly one of the more influential young african artists butthe guest technician definitely did not have the low end and the volume under control: 106dBA leq at foh/rear end of the venue...)

for this reason i am all the more pleased that i will be mixing the next concert again and even more pleased about the two pianists who will interpret a very different repertoire:

joachim kühn plays ornette coleman
stefano bollani - piano variations on jesus christ superstar

___


no pic of igor lewit in lucerne from last week but here's a pic from another piano concert, featuring iiro rantala and david helbock:
Attached Thumbnails
How's your world looking?-31_offbeat_helbock_rantala.jpg  

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 4 weeks ago at 12:46 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1386
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav ➡️
IF ONLY I could convince my regular Sunday AM gig to treat the "brand new" 400-seat 2-story tall, square-ish concrete/drywall/glass/hardboard (with one 4' wide "band" of 1" compressed fiberglass "treatment" installed set back level with the wall) to deploy fabric and hardwood diffusion like your room's... I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven...
The way to sell the idea to your Sunday AM community is to make it a dual function installation…once the fibreglass treatment is in place, they can then commission a local artist to paint a suitable ‘work of art’ upon this (not overly expensive) ‘blank canvas’

You’ve thus made acoustic treatment an opportunity for visual aesthetic enhancement…involving and including the community in the artistic decision-making to drive their enthusiasm…and you’ve got yer fibreglass !
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1387
Lives for gear
 
hbphotoav's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks ➡️
Get a few givers to make "designated gifts" restricting use of their funds to installing the treatment.
Great idea... but I'm a "hireling" at this one... been around for years, but left membership almost 25 years ago to help start a church with their former youth pastor... then left that one after 15 years to help start another one...

So... now I just show up and mix in a concrete bowl in the morning, have lunch, and go be an Anglican (mixing there as well) for the afternoon/evening. The church we rent from in the evening has treated the room with huge black stage curtains, carpeted floor, and a lot of cushioned chairs. It's a joy and a blessing to mix there.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1388
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Sounds like it would be appropriate to discuss getting it put in the budget with the music leader. They are going to spend their budget on something. Might as well take care of the untreated concrete issue.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1389
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav ➡️
Great idea... but I'm a "hireling" at this one... been around for years, but left membership almost 25 years ago to help start a church with their former youth pastor... then left that one after 15 years to help start another one...

So... now I just show up and mix in a concrete bowl in the morning, have lunch, and go be an Anglican (mixing there as well) for the afternoon/evening. The church we rent from in the evening has treated the room with huge black stage curtains, carpeted floor, and a lot of cushioned chairs. It's a joy and a blessing to mix there.
Sorry, in my reply above I'd misread that you'd already had some fibreglass treatment applied...presumably it isn't adequate to tame the internal reflections though ?

To sell them on the fabric & diffusors idea, could you bring in some temporary 'approximation materials' for a Sunday session....and let them hear the improvement ?

If it improves intelligibility for a significant number, that might be the persuader for them. Have some costings/quotes ready on hand....so you can capitalize on any immediate enthusiasm for the idea !

If a substantial number of them are wearing hearing aids...I suspect the contrast/improvement might be even more marked...if they're hearing mainly reflected sound ?

If the audience is mainly youth/non-hearing aid folk, you might sell the idea with the possibility that such acoustic treatment could turn the space into a feasible quasi-recording studio for the players during weeknights ?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1390
Lives for gear
 
hbphotoav's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks ➡️
Sounds like it would be appropriate to discuss getting it put in the budget with the music leader. They are going to spend their budget on something. Might as well take care of the untreated concrete issue.
They just finished a multi-million dollar "new" build, and are about to launch a "sanctuary re-do" that will likely be close to that. They know they need treatment... they've known for ever (I started talking about it in the mid-90s)... so... we'll just see. Other than the morning mix gig and a spouse in the choir, I got no real dog in that hunt.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1391
Lives for gear
 
hbphotoav's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Sorry, in my reply above I'd misread that you'd already had some fibreglass treatment applied...presumably it isn't adequate to tame the internal reflections though ?

To sell them on the fabric & diffusors idea, could you bring in some temporary 'approximation materials' for a Sunday session....and let them hear the improvement ?

If it improves intelligibility for a significant number, that might be the persuader for them. Have some costings/quotes ready on hand....so you can capitalize on any immediate enthusiasm for the idea !

If a substantial number of them are wearing hearing aids...I suspect the contrast/improvement might be even more marked...if they're hearing mainly reflected sound ?

If the audience is mainly youth/non-hearing aid folk, you might sell the idea with the possibility that such acoustic treatment could turn the space into a feasible quasi-recording studio for the players during weeknights ?
All really good points and ideas, Studer... but the battle is decades old in the church as a whole. We've "done it right" on a couple of temp occasions, and the raves we heard somehow didn't make it to the "buildings and properties" and finance committees. I've been pushing that boulder uphill since the mid-'90s (when they decided to do a rock band college Bible study in the "big" room (hardwood, brick and stained glass). I'm still chiming in when asked, but there are others with more investment than I currently have there.

The aforementioned 'glass was the pittance applied in a "new" room, built for contemporary worship. The "main room" is to be re-worked over the next two years or so.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1392
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Yes, it's an all-too familiar situation....only those who hold considerable sway with the committee of management can usually swing things in the right direction....

Odd though, because everyone who comes into the space (except for perhaps silent individual prayer or mental reflection) inevitably uses their hearing faculties and would have audibility enhanced by appropriate room treatment...which is a big social plus, and a win for everyone.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1393
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
So what are they spending their money on to redo things and leave the concrete? Are they going to convert it into a rock climbing wall for the youth?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1394
Lives for gear
 
hbphotoav's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks ➡️
So what are they spending their money on to redo things and leave the concrete? Are they going to convert it into a rock climbing wall for the youth?
Heh. No... they are moving the "big room" toward being more video-friendly (upgrading 30+ year old stage lighting, replacing a 20 year-old loudspeaker "solution", and finally attempting to address the fact that it's a hard room, excepting the carpet.

As to the concrete box in which I mix R&R church most Sundays... that will likely be completed sometime after I'm mixing the Angel Band with Gabriel. Thanks to a very nicely installed, aimed and tuned d&b V-rig, it's hard, yes... but it could be a very lot worse. It's workable.

If you'd ever like a tour, hit me up via FaceWaste.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1395
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
If you could sell the youth guy on the rock climbing wall idea, then the adults would want a nice thick curtain to cover it up. Thus getting what you suggested to them eons ago when it would have cost much less to install.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1396
Lives for gear
 
fred2bern's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
This week looked like this...

Radiostudio Zürich... Probably my favorite venue for chamber music in Switzerland. It looks '70 but the sound is fantastic.

Cheers from Bern, Fred.
Attached Thumbnails
How's your world looking?-imgext.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1397
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Where I've been for the past 5 weeks, (plus another week on location in NYC). Massive set for a film of a new opera, takes up nearly all of a large aircraft hangar. Probably the largest amount of lighting gear I've ever seen in one place besides a rental co. warehouse. Shot mostly to playback, jumping in small bits all around the score (being mixed from multitrack live during shooting), with lighting and sync sound projections following my TC. One of the biggest and most brain-melting projects I've ever done. 75 of us have been together on this set for this whole time, testing every few days, masks all the time. So far so good--last test for the last 2 days of shooting tomorrow--wish us luck! And then we mix for real!
Attached Thumbnails
How's your world looking?-img_8911.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1398
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Outstanding Phil! That's great news.

How long will you be in NYC?



Quote:
Originally Posted by philper ➡️
Where I've been for the past 5 weeks, (plus another week on location in NYC). Massive set for a film of a new opera, takes up nearly all of a large aircraft hangar. Probably the largest amount of lighting gear I've ever seen in one place besides a rental co. warehouse. Shot mostly to playback, jumping in small bits all around the score (being mixed from multitrack live during shooting), with lighting and sync sound projections following my TC. One of the biggest and most brain-melting projects I've ever done. 75 of us have been together on this set for this whole time, testing every few days, masks all the time. So far so good--last test for the last 2 days of shooting tomorrow--wish us luck! And then we mix for real!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1399
Lives for gear
 
JCBigler's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
In about 8 hours, we have the very first Broadway tour (Escape to Margaritaville) since the shut down over 17 months ago loading in here locally. I'm back as the house audio head for the venue that I used to work full time for, but this time as an IA department head. We are techning and rehearsing the show here for two weeks before they move out on the National tour. This is going to be the first real money I've made since the shutdown and subsequent lay off, and it signals the start of the regular season for the arts groups here. So far, all the regular groups: the Broadway series, the ballet, the symphony, the opera, and all of the smaller community theatre groups are planning for normal regular seasons with full seating capacity. We're all keeping our fingers crossed that things hold together and we don't have another shut down. I'm worried about October-November.

This tour, as do the rest of the Broadway shows, has a plethora of COVID mitigating strategies including: requiring vaccinations for every worker in the building as well as their audiences, masks for every worker in the building as well as their audiences, no communal food service, constant cleaning and sanitization of anything that any person could touch, plexi barriers around the FOH sound and lighting positions, physical distancing of the audience from the FOH positions. We'll see if it works.

This is one of the very first Broadway tours to hit the road and resume public performances. I think Wicked in Dallas was the first out of the gate, and opened a couple weeks ago. We may be 2nd or 3rd, I think.

And I still have no official word on when or if my tour will resume.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1400
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler ➡️
... but this time as an IA department head.
So they're going out, but you don't know if you're going?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1401
Lives for gear
 
JCBigler's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
So they're going out, but you don't know if you're going?
This week, I'm just working as local crew. I'm not going on tour with this show.

The tour that I was on, Blue Man Group, will be going out at some point. But I don't have specifics as to when, and I have not signed a contract for it. I expect that I will hear more in a month or two once the New York show opens.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1402
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➡️
Outstanding Phil! That's great news.

How long will you be in NYC?
We did the NYC shoot in June. We wrap (in SF) tmw. Last test (for principal photography) was today--we all passed! Woot!
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump