The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How's your world looking?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Does any sort of personal immunity (natural or vaccinated) prevent one from being a transfer vector to spreading it ?
We now have an early release publication on the effectiveness of mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) on the prevention of infection under real world conditions. They followed 3950 health care workers in the US. The vaccines had 80% effectivity in preventing infection 14 days after the first shot and 90% effectivity two weeks after the second shot. (Note that this is about infection, not just whether they develop COVID-19 symptoms).

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n888

PS: There is also research on viral load in those that do still get infected after vaccination (With the Pfizer vaccine). People that get infected after vaccination see a 4 times lower viral load compared to unvaccinated people. This would indicate a reduced chance of infecting others.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....06.21251283v1

This is all very good news.

Alistair
Gear Addict

Quote:
(currently known blood clots with AstraZeneca, as well as possibly unknown ones you mention)
iirc there are no known blood clots with AZ, only suspected.

even if actually proven link, the blood clot chance with AZ is less than many over the counter painkillers.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoskit ➡️
iirc there are no known blood clots with AZ, only suspected.

even if actually proven link, the blood clot chance with AZ is less than many over the counter painkillers.
True, but it's an ongoing "watch and act" situation worldwide re AZ...and varying age cutoffs are being suggested, as conservative safety buffers. Theyré also not yer regular blood clots, like deep vein thrombosis, embolism, blocked veins etc...but a rare yet nasty syndrome, tied up with brain clots, low platelet count etc.

Apparently a simple blood test can identify the specific condition quite quickly, and an appropriate medical response is being refined to sidestep bad consequences.

In general, populations aren't good at translating % risk statistics to everyday life: witness those who have airline flight aversion vs jumping into a car without a second's thought

Last edited by studer58; 4 weeks ago at 03:13 AM..
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler ➡️
But, the dirty little secret to the heard immunity equation is that none of these vaccines are approved for use by children yet.
There is good news on that front. Pfizzer has published a press release on their clinical trial for adolescents aged 12 - 15. The vaccine seems to have 100% effectivity in this age group. They will be submitting the data to the FDA and EMA soon. They have also started clinical trial in kids aged 6 months to 11 years.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...esults-pivotal

Quote:
So, we're probably never going back to life as normal and will be wearing masks in public for the rest of our natural lives.
I don't think so. Once everyone that wants to get vaccinated has had the opportunity to do so, things change IMO. (From an ethical point of view I mean but also from an epidemiological point of view). But before that, yes we still have to be careful so as not to infect people that haven't had a chance to get vaccinated yet.

Quote:
The wife and I have been having some serious conversations about whether to get our 16 year old daughter vaccinated or not. I'm sure the schools are going to require it to go back to in person school next fall. But, we are also both leery of some sort of hidden long term side effects. God help us is we find out that it causes infertility or birth defects in some detectable subset of the population.
Well... keep in mind that you would be choosing between a possible risk versus known risks of COVID-19. Risk of hospitalisation or death (small but real) or risk of long COVID-19, including in younger people on the one side, versus a known but tiny risk of side-effects from a vaccine or a potential risk somewhere in the future. Based on everything we know so far, the odds are very much in favour of vaccination. That is the less risky route.

I am on the science side. So much so that I am participating in a clinical trial and have had my two shots of a new not even yet approved mRNA vaccine. (Potentially they were placebo's but considering the immune response I had, I am quite sure I received the actual vaccine. I will know in a couple of months).

Alistair
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Getting a good herd immunity via vaccinations world-wide needs to be the gold standard to shoot for...if for no other reason that we need to clear the decks so that emerging mutations can be targetted, as the next campaign in the war.

While there are relatively unchecked 3rd waves in places like Brazil, South Africa, India etc, the potential for new strains to evolve is ever-present.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
For the time being, it's on the individual. But right now there's also no mandated exclusion of services or travel or prohibition on working that hinges on your vaccination status. I'm sure that the government is tracking everyone's vaccination status and will find some way to exclude them from various important government programs and public access functions. They just haven't figured out how to do it yet.

One of the other things that the experts have been harping on is that vaccination doesn't end having to maintain physical distance or capacity limits nor having to wear a mask. I guess they want to use those as sticks to push everyone to get vaccinated so that we can reach the magic 85% of the population vaccinated to reach herd immunity.

But, the dirty little secret to the heard immunity equation is that none of these vaccines are approved for use by children yet. (Technically, they are not even approved by the FDA for use in adults yet either, rather they have received "emergency use authorization"). About 24% of the U.S. population is under 18 years of age. So even if every adult in the country got vaccinated, we wouldn't reach that herd immunity number until the vaccines are approved for use in children. And I suspect that as many as 30% of the adult population won't receive the vaccine because they don't think it is effective, or don't trust the government, or whatever.

So, we're probably never going back to life as normal and will be wearing masks in public for the rest of our natural lives.

The wife and I have been having some serious conversations about whether to get our 16 year old daughter vaccinated or not. I'm sure the schools are going to require it to go back to in person school next fall. But, we are also both leery of some sort of hidden long term side effects. God help us is we find out that it causes infertility or birth defects in some detectable subset of the population. We're done having kids, so it's not a huge deal for us. If it cause her to not be able to have children or they had some sort of birth defect...Scorched earth wouldn't even begin to describe it.
As a now retired pediatrician, who was and is very familiar with the vaccine development approval, and safety procedures, I have no concern at all about
the current COVID vaccines with US emergency approval. My daughter and I just got our second doses. My wife has had her first. I can’t imagine any plausible mechanism for birth defects being caused at sometime in the future. There is no plausible mechanism for the vaccine to alter your DNA so no genetic defects can be caused by the vaccine. Also there have been no problems with women who have gotten COVID vaccine during pregnancy.
Given the available evidence, I was not and am not worried that I, my wife, or my daughter have gotten COViD vaccine. To the contrary, I am very glad that we have been vaccinated. I see no reason to worry about your daughter getting the vaccine.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Getting a good herd immunity via vaccinations world-wide needs to be the gold standard to shoot for...if for no other reason that we need to clear the decks so that emerging mutations can be targetted, as the next campaign in the war.

While there are relatively unchecked 3rd waves in places like Brazil, South Africa, India etc, the potential for new strains to evolve is ever-present.
The CDC is now saying that we may not reach the magical herd immunity numbers.

I guess the restrictions and lock downs and distancing and bans on dancing are going to be in place for the rest of time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/h...y-vaccine.html

Quote:
Now, more than half of adults in the United States have been inoculated with at least one dose of a vaccine. But daily vaccination rates are slipping, and there is widespread consensus among scientists and public health experts that the herd immunity threshold is not attainable — at least not in the foreseeable future, and perhaps not ever.

Instead, they are coming to the conclusion that rather than making a long-promised exit, the virus will most likely become a manageable threat that will continue to circulate in the United States for years to come, still causing hospitalizations and deaths but in much smaller numbers.
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2021...on-dancing-ban

Quote:
Under an executive order that went into effect on Saturday, facilities and venues can now host weddings of up to 250 people. But those who go must remain seated and socially distanced. Standing and dancing at receptions aren’t allowed, and that includes cocktail hours.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I guess the restrictions and lock downs and distancing and bans on dancing are going to be in place for the rest of time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/h...y-vaccine.html
And, the article suggests, maintaining a regular regimen of getting vaccine updates, with the vax mfr's and researchers (hopefully) keeping one step ahead of the variant emergence patterns ....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This Sunday in my southern Australian city we have a 30 voice choir giving a public concert, to a covid-spaced seated audience of around 90-100. Both singers and audience mask-less, all legit with the city's health authorities. A nice if small landmark return to normalcy for us. About 5% or less of the national population has been vaccinated thus far.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
About 5% or less of the national population has been vaccinated thus far.
What's the deal?

Why is it taking Australia so long to get the vaccine rolled out? Is it resistance to getting vaccinated by the population? Does the government not have the funds? Or just not enough access? Seems like Australia is dragging behind the rest of the industrialized world by a good margin.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What's the deal?
From what I understand it is mostly supply issues. The Australian government ordered AZ vaccines quite early. Concerns about the blood clot issue slowed things down. They are also having problem with reaching expected production capacity at the local production facility.

Alistair
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow ➡️
From what I understand it is mostly supply issues. The Australian government ordered AZ vaccines quite early. Concerns about the blood clot issue slowed things down. They are also having problem with reaching expected production capacity at the local production facility.

Alistair
That's about right, plus states vs federal govt can't decide on logistics of rollout, which groups to vaccinate first etc. Pretty inept all round but the speed is slowly picking up now. It's fortunate we're a sealed off island like NZ with few to no local cases...so the sense of urgency is diminished. Still, no excuse for the inefficient rollout however...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I wouldn't put much stock in the US CDC's forecast based on their track record thus far.

One of the metrics to watch is the hospitalization rate according to Dr. Scott Gottlieb. With increased vaccinations among the older ages most at risk, the situation is improving in the USA.

I know of two adult choir groups that put on public performances in Tennessee and in Kentucky in the past week. About 40 singers in one performance and about 100 in the other one. There was an audience for each performance that appeared to be socially distanced. Most performers were masked, but not all. No filters on the brass or wind instruments. A little aggressive to my personal taste, but they did it.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…