The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
John Prine Live performance tribute video
Old 14th April 2020
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
John Prine Live performance tribute video

Last Tuesday (the 7th of April) at 10 pm I got a call asking if I was available to help create a tribute video for John Prine from the live performance capture we did back in 2017. By 6 pm the following day, we created and finalized the video. It was published at 10 am the following day (April 9th) and has been viewed over 800,000 times to date.

Needless to say, it was an honor and a privilege to have worked with him and to be part of this resent production venture.

John Prine Tribute

Love and light, John Prine. You shall be greatly missed, yet your music and memories will live forever.
Old 14th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great job!
Any chance there will be more of John’s performance at Newport?
Old 14th April 2020 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
There is discussion about that. We have plenty of footage and audio captured of that wonder set with all sorts of musical guests coming on to perform with John Prine.

That final Sunday set at the 2017 Newport Folk Festival was quite the all-star event. The guest artists onstage included Justin Vernon, Margo Price, Roger Waters, Lucius, Nathaniel Rateliff and Jim James to name a few.

The thing that's such a drag about his death is the fact that he battled cancer in the late '90s, (which changed the sound of his voice,) then went through another surgery in circa 2013 to remove cancer in his left lung to then die from 'Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome.' A heartbreaking story for sure.

The live broadcast mix took a "minute" to get balanced since there wasn't an actual sound check, yet it hasn't stopped me from listening and reliving this joyous event. I trust you shall feel the same way I do about it.

The original live broadcast is still available to listen to via the link below...

John Prine And Friends, Live In Concert: Newport Folk 2017

Bonnie Raitt has said, "he was the closest thing we’d come to meeting Mark Twain in our lifetime."

John Prine shall be missed, but never forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie ➡️
Great job!
Any chance there will be more of John’s performance at Newport?
Old 14th April 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks for doing this.

Funny story: in the late 1970s my sister and I performed at a folk festival in western Illinois, and all the performers and many attendees stayed at a campground on-site. The group in the tent next to us had a campfire going, and they stayed up all night long singing John Prine songs, and I don't think they repeated a single one. And that was 40 years ago. I can't imagine how many more songs he wrote after that, and so many of them were keepers.
Old 16th April 2020
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
My pleasure, Brad.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Such a great story to tell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh ➡️
Thanks for doing this.

Funny story: in the late 1970s my sister and I performed at a folk festival in western Illinois, and all the performers and many attendees stayed at a campground on-site. The group in the tent next to us had a campfire going, and they stayed up all night long singing John Prine songs, and I don't think they repeated a single one. And that was 40 years ago. I can't imagine how many more songs he wrote after that, and so many of them were keepers.
Old 16th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
How can I watch this video without starting an AssBook account?
(A google search turns up no other access.)
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I feel your pain. Some folks do not like Facewaste.

The Newport Folk Festival wanted to push the Facewaste publishing of the video.

There is a YouTube link that I can share with you. Click on this link...

John Prine ~ "That's the Way the World Goes Round" - Live from Newport Folk Festival 2017

Let me know what you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 ➡️
How can I watch this video without starting an AssBook account?
(A google search turns up no other access.)
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➡️
I feel your pain. [...]

Thank you!

What I think is that John Prine had a way of turning even the staunchest "music snobs" into lovers of his music (without 'em ever even seein' it comin').
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
No, thank you for wanting to see this video tribute.

Like I in an earlier post, Bonnie Raitt has said, "he was the closest thing we’d come to meeting Mark Twain in our lifetime."

Quote:
Thank you!

What I think is that John Prine had a way of turning even the staunchest "music snobs" into lovers of his music (without 'em ever even seein' it comin').
Old 17th April 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Well, you know what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna eat a lot of peaches. Spanish Pipedream and Sam Stone (There's a hole in Daddy's arm where all the money goes) are vibrant from the days of Vietnam. Heard 'em both on BAI, and that was way back in another life in another place. But the point is that John Prine has been with me ever since and will be as long as I am breathing, and eating peaches. Thanks, Steve! Thanks so much.
Old 17th April 2020 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I see what you did there. Nicely done!

No thank you for taking the time to view and post about this wonderful tribute video and for remembering how special this individual was to so many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum ➡️
Well, you know what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna eat a lot of peaches. Spanish Pipedream and Sam Stone (There's a hole in Daddy's arm where all the money goes) are vibrant from the days of Vietnam. Heard 'em both on BAI, and that was way back in another life in another place. But the point is that John Prine has been with me ever since and will be as long as I am breathing, and eating peaches. Thanks, Steve! Thanks so much.
Old 17th April 2020
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Here's an image of Johnny Handsome himself and Johnny with various guest artists that joined him on stage during that 2017 performance my crew and I captured.

Attached Images include..

01 John Prine

02 John Prine and Nathaniel Rateliff

03 Margo Price and John Prine

04 One-half of Lucius, Roger Waters, Jim James and John Prine

05/06 Roger Waters and John Prine
Attached Thumbnails
John Prine Live performance tribute video-09-johnny-handsome-.jpg   John Prine Live performance tribute video-09-john-prine-nathaniel-rateliff-nff17.jpg   John Prine Live performance tribute video-09-margo-price-john-prine-nff17.jpg   John Prine Live performance tribute video-09-one-half-lucius-roger-waters-jim-james-john-prine.jpg   John Prine Live performance tribute video-09-roger-waters-john-prine-nff17.jpg  

John Prine Live performance tribute video-09-roger-waters-john-prine.jpg  
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➡️
05/06 Roger Waters and John Prine
Please tell me there's decent audio of THAT!
Attached Thumbnails
John Prine Live performance tribute video-09-roger-waters-john-prine-nff17.jpg  
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Well, the Roger Waters and John Prine performance together along with everyone else for that matter is part of that Newport Folk Festival 2017 live set. The original live NPR broadcast is still available to listen to via the link below...

John Prine And Friends, Live In Concert: Newport Folk 2017

There maybe more stuff coming out in the near future that could included, Justin Vernon, Margo Price, Roger Waters, Lucius, Nathaniel Rateliff and Jim James.

FYI, both Justin Vernon and Roger Waters appearances where super top secret. It was tight-lipped until their performances were announced during the Prine live set.

The stage flooded with dozens of other guest performers during the closing rendition of 'Paradise.'

I attached the set list for your convenience. Roger and John performed 'Hello In There' with Lucius on backing vocals.
If you're just interested in the Waters/Prine performance you can jump to 53:00 in the timeline.

Quote:
Please tell me there's decent audio of THAT!
Attached Thumbnails
John Prine Live performance tribute video-09-john-prine-set-list-2017.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
FYI, the new John Prine and Friends, Live at Newport Folk 2017 preorder was released yesterday!

Joining John on stage during this once-in-a-lifetime set included Justin Vernon, Jim James, Margo Price, Nathaniel Rateliff, Lucius, and Roger Waters.

It was quite an honor to record, mix and produce this John Prine and Friends, Live at Newport Folk double vinyl album. Like I've said, many times before, I am only as good as the audio individuals I surround myself with. I couldn’t have done it without my killer Aura-Sonic team. On this particular project, they include, Steve Kolakowsky; Tim Boyce; Andy VanDette; Kenneth McGee; Kazutaka Noda; & Robert Carvell.
Attached Thumbnails
John Prine Live performance tribute video-09-163239539_10159167069459308_4114171782305100916_o.jpg   John Prine Live performance tribute video-09-164003272_10159167079659308_8837211514046120939_o.jpg   John Prine Live performance tribute video-09-164205052_10159167082194308_5262864476807084123_o.jpg   John Prine Live performance tribute video-09-163523430_10159167164649308_1319010085556638289_o.jpg  
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…