The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New AoIP Millennia 16ch. Preamp
Old 7th April 2020
Deleted 141eef3
New AoIP Millennia 16ch. Preamp

Hi all,

I don't believe I'm duplicating a thread anywhere discussing this already, apologies if so.

I was just browsing Audinate's catalog of Dante-enabled devices currently on the market and was surprised to notice this new unit from Millennia, model HV-316:

https://www.audinate.com/products/da...llennia-hv-316

It seems the timing was very unfortunate with the product announcement occurring not long before all the current worldwide disruption. And, presumably, supply chain delays will further impact its actual availability.

All that said, I'd be curious to hear any thoughts/opinions from experienced Millennia users, folks who may have seen a pre-production unit in person, etc.

Highlights appear to include:

16 channels in 1RU
A/D conversion up to 192kHz
Dante
Redundant power supply - designed for heavy use
Remote controllable (obviously)
Attached Thumbnails
New AoIP Millennia 16ch. Preamp-91b4350deac049dd0afd3f073c924468.jpg  
Old 7th April 2020
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
nice!

let me add that there has been a dante (and a madi) card for the hv-3r and hv-3d for quite some time.
Old 13th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They were showing these off at NAMM in January. Pretty slick unit. Also has options for MADI out and I believe Analog as well. Specs as mentioned to us were good. Basically expect a MM preamp with a good ADC. I’m quite interested, personally as a part of a prospective Dante rig here. But with the pandemic, it’s going to be awhile until I’m buying gear again.

-Ben
Old 13th April 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 141eef3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle ➡️
But with the pandemic, it’s going to be awhile until I’m buying gear again.
Yeah, it's a bit weird to have more time on my hands to research and plan big purchases, with this simultaneous uncertainty factor pushing any of the actual decisions off further and further into the future...

Thanks for the thoughts, Ben, I really appreciate it. By any chance, as part of the demo, were you able to see and get a sense of the remote control software?
Old 13th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I didn't look at it carefully, but it basically looked like the remote software that they already have for the HV3D systems. Just with a lot more channels open.

--Ben
Old 14th April 2020
Deleted 141eef3
Makes sense, thank you Ben.
Old 30th March 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
HV-316

Just got my first unit. I did a quick test with a 58. Seems to sound relatively the same as my other Millennia units. Important note!!! if you order one of these, get them to disconnect the fan at the factory. The fan is very loud and makes the unit unusable in all but big loud out side venues. The jumper for it is buried deep inside the unit so you have to pretty much disassemble the whole thing to get to it. I talked to Millennia and they are aware. Sounds like they will be making changes soon. Probably a switch or software control. They say it doesn't need the fan unless the ambient temp is about 117F.

DC
Old 30th March 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Nice to see Millennia join the ranks of top-tier preamps on the Dante platform.

D.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1wggp99 ➡️
Just got my first unit. I did a quick test with a 58. Seems to sound relatively the same as my other Millennia units. Important note!!! if you order one of these, get them to disconnect the fan at the factory. The fan is very loud and makes the unit unusable in all but big loud out side venues. The jumper for it is buried deep inside the unit so you have to pretty much disassemble the whole thing to get to it. I talked to Millennia and they are aware. Sounds like they will be making changes soon. Probably a switch or software control. They say it doesn't need the fan unless the ambient temp is about 117F.

DC
Hi, willing to share your opinion about the new HV-316? I'd like to buy one for my classical Location recording rig and I was wondering how the Preamps sound compared to the HV-3D in the analog realm and what the Dante converters sound like. Thanks!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelinkroom ➡️
Hi, willing to share your opinion about the new HV-316? I'd like to buy one for my classical Location recording rig and I was wondering how the Preamps sound compared to the HV-3D in the analog realm and what the Dante converters sound like. Thanks!
Just received my replacement HV-316 with factory disconnected fan ( Thanks John ). I'm currently just recording pop/rock live off the floor ( Covid times) so its hard to hear the nuanced differences between the HV-316 and my HV-3D 8ch units running into Lynx Aurora n converters. I'm very familiar with my 8ch units and in this context they sound similar enough that I wouldn't think about it any further.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1wggp99 ➡️
Just received my replacement HV-316 with factory disconnected fan ( Thanks John ). I'm currently just recording pop/rock live off the floor ( Covid times) so its hard to hear the nuanced differences between the HV-316 and my HV-3D 8ch units running into Lynx Aurora n converters. I'm very familiar with my 8ch units and in this context they sound similar enough that I would think about it any further.
Thanks a lot!
Old 1 week ago
Since John has come on the market with a few units that have abandonned the high voltage rail design, HV-37, HV-35 (500 series), HV-35P and HV32P. I assume the HV-316 has no + and - 25 high voltage rail. Since A to D converter chips run on very low voltage this may be of no concern anymore, but if you compare e.g. the 500 series and the original HV3C design, you see you loose couple of dB's in noise when the + and - 25V rail is not used.
Old 1 week ago
I'm wondering if they have abandoned the old Analog Devices MAT 04 quad transistor set for the front end. AD makes much better stuff these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
I'm wondering if they have abandoned the old Analog Devices MAT 04 quad transistor set for the front end. AD makes much better stuff these days.
Analog Devices MAT 04 seems to be not available anymore according the AD website.
📝 Reply