Quantcast
Videos of musicians and ensembles adapting to new situation - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Videos of musicians and ensembles adapting to new situation
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
A question about "what happens to the livestream when the internet connection drops out momentarily...or for a few minutes" ?

Let's say a concert is being livestreamed to Facebook on the Vimeo platform, and the subsequent on-demand playback is viewable on YouTube or from the host venue's Vimeo video archive.

During the live concert upload, a dropout in internet connectivity breaks the data stream...and (for the livestream viewers) either the image freezes, or it defaults to a title slide or similar, until the connection is reinstated and the streaming recommences.

Is the continuing audio/video stream being cached or stored by the host platforms ( Facebook/Vimeo/YouTube) even during a period of dropout...and thus reinstated when the video has been uploaded fully....or does an internet streaming dropout mean that content is lost for that period also, unless saved locally...say to a hard drive or a parallel cloud-based storage?
I do work for a venue that has done live-streaming (mainly to Facebook) for years. When there's an internet hiccup during the show, which happens more often than not, the show has had to be re-streamed later to get it onto FB in one piece. This isn't all bad, though. The "live" live stream is always a little bit out of sync due to the lag induced by the video-switching software, and the redo allows you to slide the audio back a couple frames to restore sync.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Brent and 2manyrocks, I'm pretty sure this was re-uploaded later from the ATEM switcher/storage ....the sync looks to be ok ?

For those interested the main pair (which in this case gets flooded with piano due to that instrument's proximity !) is an AB overhead pair of KM183's, outrigger flankers are MKH8020 omnis and the 'orchestra area stereo spot pair' was an ORTF Superlux S502 to the side of the conductor's right shoulder, about 8' up (removed during interval)

On crescendos it gets a little 'crunchy'...I suspect due to the Mackie mixer's summing bus' architecture running out of headroom ? The playback stream starts at around 16:00 and there's also a substantial interval (denoted by the "concert resumes shortly" slide)

May 29th 2021: Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.2 and Tchaikovsky 5th Symphony program:

https://arts.adelaide.edu.au/music/e...concert-series
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I didn't watch all of it carefully, but I didn't see any sync issues that jumped out at me. If the audio is appropriately delayed to the video via the ATEM control software, there shouldn't be a sync issue in the recorded file.

Spec wise, it looks like the ATEM records in H.264 at whatever quality was streamed up to 1080p. I think the general argument is if it was good enough for streaming to YT, the recorded file is good enough to upload to YT. Another perspective is it would be better to shoot in 4k in prores or other similar format for editing later. But there is the added time and cost of video editing.

On my monitors, the video appears to have a color cast tending towards tungsten. I looked at the video on color calibrated monitors on two different systems here. My suggestion is to set the white balance in the cameras before streaming and recording. The white balance could be edited..but I believe best practice is to set white balance in camera to start with. In my experience, the colors will never quite pop the way they should unless the white balance is spot on. It's also less trouble in editing if the white balance is just set well in camera to begin with.

The camera horizons are not quite level to my eye. Most video cameras have a built in horizon tool to check level these days.

The other thing is there's a lot of vertical height in the frame inherent to using spherical lenses. I would suggest shooting this in anamorphic perspective to reduce the vertical height if it can be confirmed that the particular combination of cameras being used with the ATEM or whatever streaming device is in use will desqueeze and show the footage in proper perspective in the stream.
📝 Reply