The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rode nt55 vs Shure ksm141 for classical piano recital/studio
Old 15th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianisticchef ➡️
... I wished I would've got more recommendations from hypothetically more experienced sales reps to narrow down the "range", and then I could move on to the "2nd step": give those products a try. I did not ask any of the reps to make a decision for me, but merely hope to learn from their knowledge/experience (just like what I did here in the forum). However, Sweetwater rep tried quite hard to convince me that all I need was one Zoom Q8 camcorder even though I explained a few times that video recording is not my main purpose, but audio recording is, and I do care the sound quality a lot. You do not think I asked too much from them, right?
Understand that sales people do not necessarily have expertise in precisely the applications you may be researching... and that their job is to sell stuff.

That said, after completing my own research, when I've asked questions about the product(s) I'm wanting to purchase, my SW sales guy (for the past decade or so) has been helpful, courteous, and not pushy. Talking to a salesman is generally my final step of several.

Back when I was selling hifi gear retail in the late '70s, I liked chatting with customers so much that I was often reminded by my boss that it was the customer's job to do research, and my job to recommend products they could buy from our store that met their expressed wants and needs... and that my weekly stipend came from sales, not chat.

I don't think you asked too much... but I also think they were simply doing their jobs.

HB
Old 15th April 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianisticchef ➡️
Where did you get "cold rolled steel hex bars"? In hardware store? Or I need to find blacksmith to make one for me?
As Tony said- I googled and found a metal shop. I had to file the ends myself, but they shipped 3/8" hex rod really cheaply (about 5 or 10 years ago).

I've also been looking into the smallrig camera bars (thanks for the reminder!) and you could do well there too.
Old 16th April 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF ➡️
Ten minutes on Google should find hex rods to go with the Sabra-Som sliding mounts. BH Photo has the 4-way short Sabra-Som stereo bars in stock to remove the sliding mounts for a wider bar. You may need to buy some longer 3mm bolts than the knurled bolts which come fitted in the Sabra-Som sliders. The hex rods I sourced in the UK were marginally thinner than Sabra-Som's original hex rod.

An alternative route is to use camera carbon-fibre rods and the sliding accessories used for lens support, etc.. You can find them on Amazon, EBay, Smallrig.

K&M do a useful metal wide stereo bar as well.
Yeah, I googled and found them. Easier than I thought. Thanks.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav ➡️
Understand that sales people do not necessarily have expertise in precisely the applications you may be researching... and that their job is to sell stuff.

That said, after completing my own research, when I've asked questions about the product(s) I'm wanting to purchase, my SW sales guy (for the past decade or so) has been helpful, courteous, and not pushy. Talking to a salesman is generally my final step of several.

Back when I was selling hifi gear retail in the late '70s, I liked chatting with customers so much that I was often reminded by my boss that it was the customer's job to do research, and my job to recommend products they could buy from our store that met their expressed wants and needs... and that my weekly stipend came from sales, not chat.

I don't think you asked too much... but I also think they were simply doing their jobs.

HB
As an amateur photographer, I called B&H reps numerous times during the last 10 years, and no issues at all, and luckily had my rep who was also helpful, courteous, and not pushy. (He left couple years ago.)

I do believe that most of SW sales reps are "helpful, courteous, and not pushy". Just unlucky this time, I guess, as my call happened to be caught by someone at the wrong time. I should indicate that the impatient pushy rep was the 2nd SW rep I've talked with. The 1st rep, Taylor, was nice and helpful, but I did not have time to finish our conversation as I was within an intermission in my works. Two days later, I called SW again, and you know the rest.

(Please don't take me wrong. I don't work for B&H, nor mean to convince you that B&H is better than SW. Simply share my experience with you...)

I will adjust my "SOP": to make "Talking to a salesman" one of my final steps.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOp ➡️
As Tony said- I googled and found a metal shop. I had to file the ends myself, but they shipped 3/8" hex rod really cheaply (about 5 or 10 years ago).

I've also been looking into the smallrig camera bars (thanks for the reminder!) and you could do well there too.
Thanks.
📝 Reply