Quantcast
Sony PCM D100 in 2020... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony PCM D100 in 2020...
Old 17th March 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Sony PCM D100 in 2020...

Hello, all! Watched a video on "The Youtube" last night that rekindled my interest in these units.

Is the Sony PCM D100 still the top of the crop in this form-factor, despite it's age?

I always think I'm going to head out with a stereo pair, and stand, and all the etc etc, but never do, and so love to have a high quality and self contained unit. I have a Tascam DR100mkIII, and it's fine, but I don't use it as much as I'd like, and the sound quality is definitely a factor in my lack of excitement.

I checked BandH and saw that the handheld Nagra units (LIO, SD) are no longer available, but didn't really look at the used market yet.

Thanks, all!
Old 18th March 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Lastima ➑️
Hello, all! Watched a video on "The Youtube" last night that rekindled my interest in these units.

Is the Sony PCM D100 still the top of the crop in this form-factor, despite it's age?

I always think I'm going to head out with a stereo pair, and stand, and all the etc etc, but never do, and so love to have a high quality and self contained unit. I have a Tascam DR100mkIII, and it's fine, but I don't use it as much as I'd like, and the sound quality is definitely a factor in my lack of excitement.

I checked BandH and saw that the handheld Nagra units (LIO, SD) are no longer available, but didn't really look at the used market yet.

Thanks, all!
The Tascam with a nice pair of microphones would sound better than the Sony. But, the Sony's onboard mics are of a higher quality to the DR100mk3 ones. I had both, still have the D100 because as a self-contained unit is much better, the battery life is fantastic, and a portable recorder should be portable.

https://www.classicalguitartones.com...assical-guitar
Old 18th March 2020
Lives for gear

Paul Virostek, who runs the Creative Field Recording website, has in the past few weeks posted a series of excellent and informative interviews with professional field recording engineers, several of whom mention that they still use and love the D-100. However, what caught my eye is that at least a couple of them are also using the smaller (and cheaper) Sony PCM-A10 combined with the LOM Micro Üsi omni mics.

See https://www.creativefieldrecording.com/

Note that these people are all field recordists who record ambient sounds to sell to film/video and other markets; they're not primarily recording music.
Old 18th March 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I find the Sound Professionals binaural kit and the Olympus LS-11 to be a potent and ultra-light kit.
Old 18th March 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Aah! I had an LS-10 (which I bought primarily via the advice of the esteemed John Willet - thank you John!) that finally pooped the bed last year. Really loved that unit.
Old 20th March 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Sorry for your loss - I do wish it was bus powered as it would then be a nice overnight drop candidate using the built-in mics. The binaural I use is Plug-in Power FYI...
Old 23rd April 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The only thing that pisses me off and stoped me buying one is that Sony didn't add timecode to the D100, with that it would be a very cool multiuse (field recorder, camera mic, player etc.) unit. Otherwise I don't think it justifies the price...
The quality of the combination considering inbuilt mic/portability is still unmatched IMHO.
Cheers
Old 7th July 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi all, I have been listening to done videos shot on Sony recorder and some on Tascam. The Tascam uses a shure Mic, not sure what the Sony uses, or the model numbers

videos are off audio systems playing music. The Sony videos capture the In room ambience, from the listener's seat, while the Tascam though sounding good, had this impression of being more close to the speakers, not from the listener's seat, without room reflections. So it doesn't strike me as real.

I am more interested in capturing the In room ambience from the listener's seat. Is this based on the recorder (Sony) or the microphone? What's the best way
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Are your examples recorded in the same room, in the same position, playing the same music? Otherwise you can't make a proper comparison.
Tascam uses omni-type mics, for Sony I can't find anything on polar pattern but could be cardioid, because it features XY positioning.
If that's the case, then your verdict of direct versus ambience - Tascam/Sony- would be the other way around!
So I'd do more testing, in equal conditions.
Note that the Sony can pivot it's mics in 3 positions, Tascam uses a fixed mic position. With Sony's 120 degree mic position, you could capture a more 'roomy' type of audio, but that depends on other factors as well.
Old 9th July 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
They are all in various rooms done by two different people. What is an omnimic. And when you say roomy, what exactly do you mean?

I am interested in recording with the room ambience that a listener feels in his seat when listening to an audio system, and am open to suggestions. The more portable, the better. The mobile phone does this, but with less resolution, while a Sony or Tascam have higher resolution. But I do not want the very close in sound that loses out all the natural effects of space that we feel in the listener's seat
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Roomy is sound engineers' slang for a recording with more room - which you like - but many sound engineers don't.
Omni and cardioid is about the microphones' pickup pattern: Omni would pickup more room, more indirect sound, where cardioid would pickup a more direct sound.

But there are more factors at play, more ways to skin a cat.
The balance between direct and indirect sound - which relates to how 'roomy' a recording sounds can also be manipulated by:
1. changing the distance between you and the performance or loudspeaker.
2. you pointing the mic/device away, up, or even backwards to the performance.
3. Hard surfaced spaces sound more 'roomy' than, let's say theaters, or recordings made in outside.
4. by adding reverb and delay afterwards .
5. by mixing in 'roomtone': a recording made in the same location when no artists play.

Downside to a roomy recording, is: less detail & definition, need more gain (= more noise), more disturbing factors like possible talking or coughing people.
That's why I wrote down numbers 4-5, those can be used by sound engineers to make a recording more lively.
Old 9th July 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks. The Tascam person is using a shure Mic
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Unfortunately it's still the best on the market in terms of on-board mic sound quality. But it's very outdated, overpriced and lacks XLR options.

This is an area of the market that is really lacking a high quality expandable unit. I've informed Sound Devices and Zoom but nothing has been announced or teased.
Old 10th July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 ➑️
Unfortunately it's still the best on the market in terms of on-board mic sound quality. But it's very outdated, overpriced and lacks XLR options.

This is an area of the market that is really lacking a high quality expandable unit. I've informed Sound Devices and Zoom but nothing has been announced or teased.
Sorry not clear what you are referring to? The shure Mic?
πŸ“ Reply