Quantcast
Superlux S502MKII - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Superlux S502MKII
Old 1st June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Based on the reports here, it seems as if the original version might be more reliable than the MkII ? I recommend simply buying 2 of the original, with the expectation that these will give you sufficient parts to create 1 effective mic out of the pair.

In my experience, and reflected with the MkII version, the failure seems to occur right out of the box, or within the first few months of use, so adopting the 'buy 2, expect 1 working' model could even see you with 2 functional mics, in a best case situation ?

I realise this sends a very poor message to the mfr...that poor quality control actually generates a doubling of sales ! There's going to be zero incentive for them to change current practices...and that's assuming there are even existing stocks of the original version left to buy ?. I wouldn't suggest the same 'buy 2' process for the latest version, it's simply not cost effective...and only serves to ingrain their current bad quality control practices.

Last edited by studer58; 1st June 2020 at 02:05 AM..
Old 1st June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Buy one ,return it to Thomann for a German repair.
I t worked for me
Though I never use the bloody thing even after making all the right cables for it....
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
... or, I suppose, one could buy the "known good" CM4 pair, spend a bit of money on a rigid ORTF mount, and, if handy with iron and solder, build a 2-pair "single wire" cable, and proceed.

Worked for me...

HB
Old 13th September 2020
I was not sure if I should write this here.... but anyways: The Superlux S502MKii is compatible with the Schoeps capsules. I'm not sure if this even legally OK.... However with the Schoeps MK4 capsules the systems sound pretty damn good...
(Did I mention that I'm a Schoeps fan :-))
Old 13th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby06 ➑️
I was not sure if I should write this here.... but anyways: The Superlux S502MKii is compatible with the Schoeps capsules. I'm not sure if this even legally OK.... However with the Schoeps MK4 capsules the systems sound pretty damn good...
(Did I mention that I'm a Schoeps fan :-))
interesting ... can you post a link to the correct caps needed
Old 13th September 2020
Any Schoeps capsules work (MK2, 2h, 2s, 21, 22, 4, 40, 41, 5, 8).but certainly just the mk4 (https://schoeps.de/en/products/colet...cardioids.html) make sense in an ortf setup.
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you have Schoeps capsules, what's the point of putting them on the poor Superlux preamp ?
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you have already two M 4 capsules mounted on CMC5/6 bodies, you can get a compact ORTF stereo microphone like the Schoeps CMCTC 64 for less than 1/20th of its price.
Old 14th September 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest ➑️
If you have already two M 4 capsules mounted on CMC5/6 bodies, you can get a compact ORTF stereo microphone like the Schoeps CMCTC 64 for less than 1/20th of its price.
--> Yes that's the point... and there are a lot of people that have already 2 MK4...
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Just got a MkII works great!

I've cutted the XLR connector, replaced it with cable to fit it in an also shortened Rode blimp, and now I have a perfect small and portable ORTF setup.

It's a bit of work, but an ultra cheap alternative to Shoeps/Ricote combo.

mkIi is also quieter, Wich is great.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How are the capsules aligned? mine were of, where s502.mk1 was correct.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heva ➑️
How are the capsules aligned? mine were of, where s502.mk1 was correct.
Capsules are ok!
πŸ“ Reply