Quantcast
Schoeps cmc1 vs cmc6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Schoeps cmc1 vs cmc6
Old 17th January 2020
  #1
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Schoeps cmc1 vs cmc6

Hi! Anyone had a chance to compare the new schoeps cmc1 preamp with a cmc6 preamp on classical recordings? Do the new cmc1 sound the same or better? I am buying a pair of mk21 to use as a stereopair and would like to keep them as discrete as possible. (Without compromise in the sound )
Old 18th January 2020
  #2
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
By odd coincidence I also have been planning to purchase a matched pair of CMC621's..and just found out about the new CMC1 as well. I will be using them for close micing of acoustic guitar.
I am also dying to know if there are any differences.
According to Schoeps...they have a little bit higher soundpressure level, better RF ..with no sound quality differences.
I would suspect that the smaller body size might even help with openness as there is less body interfering with frequencies, as well as the capsules polar design.
As always....when a new product is introduced, I am a bit scarred to make the leap of faith. Except, my gut says it is Schoeps..and when Schoeps makes a change it is for real and for good cause.
Possibly the two of us together can work to find out more. I will PM you.
Old 5th May 2020
  #3
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
BUMP
Old 5th May 2020
  #4
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
I did call and talk talk to Schoeps USA distributor. They seem to think that the advantages are size and not of sonic value.
Old 13th May 2020 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThousandMics ➡️
I did call and talk talk to Schoeps USA distributor. They seem to think that the advantages are size and not of sonic value.
I just ordered the CMC6 pair. It was around $300 cheaper than CMC1s. At this level it’s better to pay up and get what you want if you want the smaller package.

There always seems to be some anxiety ridden decision that has to be made when buying anything. Ugh!!

I think the larger size will be easier to track in the studio and less likely to be trampled or stolen. Not sure if I made the beat decision but it’s done.

The CMC1 will probably hold its value better if you ever have to sell cause it’s so new and everyone who likes schoeps seems to have CMC6.

Not sure if I made the right decision but I wrestled with it and it’s done.
Old 13th May 2020 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh ➡️
I just ordered the CMC6 pair. It was around $300 cheaper than CMC1s. At this level it’s better to pay up and get what you want if you want the smaller package.

There always seems to be some anxiety ridden decision that has to be made when buying anything. Ugh!!

I think the larger size will be easier to track in the studio and less likely to be trampled or stolen. Not sure if I made the beat decision but it’s done.

The CMC1 will probably hold its value better if you ever have to sell cause it’s so new and everyone who likes schoeps seems to have CMC6.

Not sure if I made the right decision but I wrestled with it and it’s done.
I think you did make the right decision Drockfresh, fear not.
If there is not a sonic advantage, then why pay the extra amount? The smaller size will only make a difference to those in Motion Picture industry.
Where did you purchase your Schoeps from?
Old 13th May 2020 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThousandMics ➡️
I think you did make the right decision Drockfresh, fear not.
If there is not a sonic advantage, then why pay the extra amount? The smaller size will only make a difference to those in Motion Picture industry.
Where did you purchase your Schoeps from?
I ordered from Atlas Pro Audio. Nathan was awesome to work with.

I had looked at a used deal on tapersection but these mics *really* hold value

I also heard from Schoeps who confirmed the CMC6 will continue to be made because

“the CMC 6 still has its advantages. E.g., in the studio, the larger size often is easier to handle.“

So all is good. Feel waaaay better and can’t wait to get to work !
Old 15th May 2020
  #8
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
And if you really need a small size, schoeps offers a ton of great accessories to make the size smaller. The active cables are great for that- separate the capsule from the body.

--Ben
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle ➡️
And if you really need a small size, schoeps offers a ton of great accessories to make the size smaller. The active cables are great for that- separate the capsule from the body.

--Ben
A late reply..... Sorry.
we have 12 CMC1, 16 CMC 6 and 10 CMC 5.
They all sound very similar. I wouldn't mix CMC 5 and CMC 6 because they use a different low cut filter. But the CMC1 and CMC6 sound, at least to me, absolutely identical. The CMC1 can handle a little higher SPL.
For polarflex I like the small size of the CMC1 much better...
Schoeps just sounds fantastic
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
38 Schoeps amps? That IS impressive.

D.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
38 Schoeps amps? That IS impressive.

D.
And I love them all
However recently we got 3 Neumann KM 133, which are also very impressive
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #12
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
privately owned or are you using a broadcasting/radio studio's gear?
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Our own mics…
We record orchestras and choirs… (But not only that..:-))
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 282 views: 63884
Avatar for tnestelaar
tnestelaar 31st October 2014
replies: 816 views: 40236
Avatar for Dohreetoh
Dohreetoh 18th August 2021
replies: 3306 views: 63192
Avatar for Synth Guru
Synth Guru 21st August 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump