Sonosax SX-M2D2 - how practical? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonosax SX-M2D2 - how practical?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogutopia ➡️
Hello dears,
I wonder if one could use the sound from the m2d2 directly to the ProCamera iPhone app? So one would be filming and receiving a great sound simultaneously.
Thanks in advance!
It should work, based on this support article. https://cocologicshelp.zendesk.com/h...al-microphone-
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Brad, thanks Folkie!!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogutopia ➡️
Thanks Brad, thanks Folkie!!!
FYI, I was able to verify this morning using the ProCamera app: it works with the Sonosax M2D2. It recognized it automatically and chose it as the sound input automatically. Obviously this isn't a very mobile solution because you have mics, cables, Sonosax, and phone to deal with but would work well for doing video and audio of a concert where the phone is on a tripod.

It does feel a bit like pairing a Rolls Royce with a Citroën Visa, but if the emphasis is more on brilliant sound than brilliant video this will work.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Oh, you are right bradh, thanks for helping me out, I always think better that than the opposite!:-)
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Modular adda setup?

I acquired the m2d2 a few months ago and can attest to its fantastic sound quality both as a video audio recorder into an iphone, to be synced with camera audio, as well as an audio interface in my music studio. I was, as a previous poster in this thread, impressed with the m2d2:s stability in Cubase but it wasn't like my RME pcie Madi I previously used to own.
I used to have a bigger music studio with Antelope convertors recording bands and such... during the pandemic I had to downsize. I now only really require 4 in/4 out.
Was thinking of getting a second m2d2 together with an RME aes pcie card. That would give me 4in/4out over AES. Best sound fidelity from m2d2 conversion and the stability and quality drivers of the RME. And it's modular... I need more channels I just get another m2d2, right?
If this is some of the best conversion to be had today then this is surely an interesting concept, or not? Any reason this wouldn't be a good idea?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Vinci ➡️
I acquired the m2d2 a few months ago and can attest to its fantastic sound quality both as a video audio recorder into an iphone, to be synced with camera audio, as well as an audio interface in my music studio. I was, as a previous poster in this thread, impressed with the m2d2:s stability in Cubase but it wasn't like my RME pcie Madi I previously used to own.
I used to have a bigger music studio with Antelope convertors recording bands and such... during the pandemic I had to downsize. I now only really require 4 in/4 out.
Was thinking of getting a second m2d2 together with an RME aes pcie card. That would give me 4in/4out over AES. Best sound fidelity from m2d2 conversion and the stability and quality drivers of the RME. And it's modular... I need more channels I just get another m2d2, right?
If this is some of the best conversion to be had today then this is surely an interesting concept, or not? Any reason this wouldn't be a good idea?
Hi, unfortunately rme aes has to be slave - so this will work only with one m2d2. You wont get rme aes properly synced to the 2nd..
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by etiefenthaler ➡️
Hi, unfortunately rme aes has to be slave - so this will work only with one m2d2. You wont get rme aes properly synced to the 2nd..
Yes, I was worried the clock sync between multiple m2d2:s and the rme would be challenging. Was hoping the clock might be embedded in the aes stream somehow and picked up by the m2d2:s at the rme card. Thanks for clarifying. But the unit is so small that I wouldn’t have complained if they made room for WC at the expense of a slightly bigger size.

(Edit) After reading the SX-R4+ thread ,and some of Plush’s comments there, it seems like not having WC is a deliberate exclusion due to signal/clock integrity of the Sonosax design. Just don’t want to come off as someone expecting things to be there - when they ,for good reason, have been excluded.

Last edited by da Vinci; 1 week ago at 09:18 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Vinci ➡️
I guess the feature set was designed around it's intended use, which I'd guess was far from use as a one of many interfaces in a studio, hence it's lack of wordclock.

I guess their SX-AD8+ with Dante/Ravenna option would be closer to that usage.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
Hello Massimo,

YES SIR!

I just made a move to Acousence 191 a/d converter.
It arrived here this week from Adebar Acoustics in Wiesbaden, Germany.

Will report in about how it compares to what I have here:
DAD AX24
Sonosax SX-R4+
Sonosax SX-AD8+
RME AD8 QS
Mytek 96
Thank you in advance!
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I'm also looking forward to that large comparison. Especially Sonosax SX-M2D2 vs Mytek ADC 96

I have a question about the no 44,1 kHz issue:

What exactly happens if I set the Sonosax SX-M2D2's clock to slave and connect it via AED/EBU to an interface (Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ in my example) that's running at 44,1 kHz?

And is 88,2 KhZ possible?

Thank you all

Phil
📝 Reply