The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonosax SX-M2D2 - how practical?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by locojohn ➡️
how? I was unable to find that infornation in the manual!
See page 19 of the latest manual.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
how? I was unable to find that infornation in the manual!
For each output you can choose the source as mono, stereo, rev stereo (L and R reversed), MS, Channel, Ch 1 or Ch 2 to L,C or R.
Lives for gear

It is unclear, though, if there's a way to adjust stereo width when decoding to M/S in the M2D2. Presumably when using an M/S rig you would put the "mid" mic in input 1 and the "side" mic in input 2, which is the normal approach. But unless it's possible with the limited internal mixer, I don't see an obvious way to adjust the stereo width in headphones or the other outputs. You can of course just record the individual channels and decode to MS in post, adjusting the width to your liking.

I haven't needed to use the mixer so haven't experimented with it, but it doesn't look like there's a way to adjust the mix of the two individual mic channels against each other (i.e., add more of channel 2 vs. channel 1 to bring in more of the side mic) -- you can only adjust the mix of the mics (together) with the other inputs (AES and USB). But I may be misinterpreting...the manual doesn't provide a lot of detail on how the mixer works in actual practice.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh ➡️
It is unclear, though, if there's a way to adjust stereo width when decoding to M/S in the M2D2. Presumably when using an M/S rig you would put the "mid" mic in input 1 and the "side" mic in input 2, which is the normal approach. But unless it's possible with the limited internal mixer, I don't see an obvious way to adjust the stereo width in headphones or the other outputs. You can of course just record the individual channels and decode to MS in post, adjusting the width to your liking.
You’re correct. There’s no way to adjust the stereo width of MS for any outputs.
If the input channels are unlinked you can adjust the relative gain of the input channels to adjust stereo width. Once you have the desired stereo width you can link the input
channels and any further level adjustments
will be the same for both channels with the relative gains unchanged.

Options for linked vs unlinked can be chosen in Settings-Controls.

Last edited by Folkie; 4 weeks ago at 12:30 PM..
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thank you! It makes it easier to come up with a decision of purchase
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you! It makes it easier to come up with a decision of purchase
A Sound Devices Mix-pre series recorder is much easier in this regard: once you link the channels you can use the channel 2 knob as a stereo width control. On my MixPre 6 when I do M/S recordings I often end up using the stereo mix, since I've adjusted it to taste in the field while recording, but the ISO files are there as backup in case I want to tweak further (which I sometimes do).

With the M2D2, if I were recording M/S I think it would be simpler to work with the iso wav files in post, decode to M/S, and adjust width at that point.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
A Sound Devices Mix-pre series recorder is much easier in this regard: once you link the channels you can use the channel 2 knob as a stereo width control. On my MixPre 6 when I do M/S recordings I often end up using the stereo mix, since I've adjusted it to taste in the field while recording, but the ISO files are there as backup in case I want to tweak further (which I sometimes do).

With the M2D2, if I were recording M/S I think it would be simpler to work with the iso wav files in post, decode to M/S, and adjust width at that point.
That makes sense! As it is still possible to monitor the decoded M/S mix on M2D2 in stereo?

How would you compare the quality of recordings between the M2D2 and MixPre-6?

I've been considering MixPre-6, but SX-M2D2 + iPhone seems to be a very attractive compact option indeed! I believe the audio quality is the best in this case, which is a main reason for me going that way.

Best,
Andrejs
Lives for gear

Quote:
That makes sense! As it is still possible to monitor the decoded M/S mix on M2D2 in stereo?
Yes, you can monitor it via the headphone output as explained by Folkie above.

Quote:
How would you compare the quality of recordings between the M2D2 and MixPre-6?
A hotly debated topic on gearslutz; to my ears the Sonosax sounds better: I hear more depth in the recordings but (to my ears) the differences are not enormous. They are noticeable, though. I use the MixPre mainly for field recording for video and the M2D2 for music.

The MixPre is more practical in terms of usability and flexibility (and it has tripod mounts built in, which is handy for field recording), but I like the simplicity of the M2D2, prefer its display (you can match gain levels of the inputs precisely and easily without having to go to different channel menus), and the sound quality of the M2D2 is brilliant.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, you can monitor it via the headphone output as explained by Folkie above. [...] The MixPre is more practical in terms of usability and flexibility (and it has tripod mounts built in, which is handy for field recording), but I like the simplicity of the M2D2, prefer its display (you can match gain levels of the inputs precisely and easily without having to go to different channel menus), and the sound quality of the M2D2 is brilliant.
Thank you for your time and explanations, Brad. Very much appreciated!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
@ Plush Am I I crazy thinking this would be the ultimate interface for home use? Not cheap, but a whole lot less than other hi-end converters like say Lynx Hilo.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexi ➡️
@ Plush Am I I crazy thinking this would be the ultimate interface for home use? Not cheap, but a whole lot less than other hi-end converters like say Lynx Hilo.
I think you’re absolutely right.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
For its performance and features it IS cheap.

But nothing Swiss is bargain basement.

Buy it today directly from the Swiss factory. Or from Trew Audio in LA.

www.sonosax.ch
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmusic ➡️
A question about the SX-M2D2 dynamic range. I read that the SX-R4+ dynamic range of 135dB is limited in the USA version to 114dB because of patent issues. Is the SX-M2D2 also limited in the US version?
Because M2D2 is a more recent design, it achieves its dynamic range (135dB) by using only one AD chip unlike SX-R4+'s dual AD chip design. At least that's my understanding.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexi ➡️
It can probably be. Price is really good for the features & Size is fantastic.

But in the end, it depends on your needs.

- Only 2 in.
- No midi I/O on the box.
- Only one stereo unbalanced out / one headphones out.
- Stability of drivers/compatibility ? but i think it should be pretty good.

If most of what you do is record up to two inputs and listen back, it's a beast.

I'm on the fence of buying one for myself, for video work/interviews and run and gun recordings where i don't need 10+ inputs.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino ➡️
- Stability of drivers/compatibility ? but i think it should be pretty good.
It's a class-compliant device: on Mac or Linux (or Android/iOS) it works out of the box, no drivers needed. On Windows you need the ASIO driver and initially I had a few problems with setting the sample rate (e.g., the M2D2 was set to 96khz but the driver was stuck at 48k) but I think that was a DAW-specific issue. It's working flawlessly now for me now. There were a few bugs that have been fixed with firmware; I haven't encountered any issues since the last firmware update in January.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
- Only one stereo unbalanced out / one headphones out.
It has digital I/O as well.

Andrejs
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm on the fence of buying one for myself, for video work/interviews and run and gun recordings where i don't need 10+ inputs.
One thing to think through is how you're going to carry it. If you use a bag, no worries -- check out the Sonosax users group on Facebook or the JW Sound Group forum and you'll see a number of bag solutions that people are using, including some nice (but pricey) custom designs. If you want to physically mount the M2D2 on a camera or a tripod/magic arm, you'll need some sort of case for it -- there are files for a 3d-printed mounting accessory on the Sonosax website, but unless you have a 3d printer or have a friend with one, printing a one-off copy will be expensive. I priced it at one point and it wasn't worth it; it would be great to pool a bunch of orders from users to see if we could get a group discount from Shapeways or another printer.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi, I can print one for you. 25 Euro + shipping.
Erich
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It has digital I/O as well.

Andrejs
I was listing the potentiel drawbacks. The digital I/O is a really nice feature I need !

Quote:
I haven't encountered any issues since the last firmware update in January.
This is really good news, but expected from Sonosax.

For carrying, i'll think about it (got a sound devices 702, will try to find how to fit everything inside a bag). For camera mounting, i'll download the sonosax file, and may modify it to fit my needs before printing.

Need to sell some stuff, and then i'll probably buy this
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have no doubt that we’re talking about the top, best, unequaled 2 ch AD and mic pres in a box.
Why does it all have to be TA3? We get it, you integrate but if it was twice as big I would have no qualms. Excellent to hear about the use stories here.

Last edited by Andrew Bacon; 3 weeks ago at 01:07 AM.. Reason: Sonosax
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hi all,

I thought I'd add my positive experience with the Sonosax M2D2, hopefully to add some confidence to those folk who might be slightly apprehensive to make the jump.

I'm coming from a slightly different and less sophisticated set-up than most members here; I'm a long time user of all-in-the-box audio interfaces, mainly consisting of RME and Apogee amongst others, and for context, I'm first and foremost a musician (rather than engineer) recording anything from sacred choral/organ music through to acoustic ensembles, rock/indie and electronic music - so..most of my spare cash goes on instruments!

My constraints have always been lack of mobility with my set-up; compromising recording quality on the move, and/or having loads of outboard gear which makes mobile recording a bit of a faff!

For a long time I have procrastinated over getting a new interface that will work with my iPad Pro, OSX and Windows machines, and at the same time, also wanting to get significantly better microphone preamp. I had resigned myself to the usual stable of products, all of which didn't really cut it for me and presented lots of compromises around it being truly mobile at the sound quality I was looking for (and also, without having to sell a kidney to pay for it).

So...enter the Sonosax SXM2D2+. What can I say other than Wow! It seems to have everything:
- truly amazing mic preamps (I literally cannot get my head around how good they make my modest mic selection sound). AND...there are 2 of them!!
- It runs off Lithium-Ion vape batteries - why don't more manufacturers do this? It's brilliant and makes perfect sense. I've always felt trying to draw power for 48v from a battery powered host device whilst working mobile is just robbing Peter to pay Paul. This thing runs for ages from 1 interchangable battery (in fact, you can swap out the battery without the device turning off!)
- It's USB C and class compliant - no messing with lots of adaptors, USB C to USB C straight into ipad/phone or computer.
- I can use SPDIF through the AES input to record my keyboards etc (love that i can do this!).
- The internal routing of the Sonosax is really flexible, and allows easy routing in the box. Need to capture something from another app? No problem, just set the routing in the M2D2 and away you go - I literally feel I can use this device for any application.
- The menus of the M2D2 are logical and easy to get around. After an hour or so messing around with I had no problems doing everything i needed to with ease.
-TA3 connectors - for me, having these makes perfect sense. I bought some adaptors and barely notice they are there. I'd pick this over having a bus-powered device any day of the week. The M2D2 has a very small footprint and when you get your hands on it the TA3 connections with adaptors for me, is preferable to XLR and a bigger device.
- No MIDI - I initially felt this might be a constraint for my needs but quickly overcame this. I use a Nektar Panorama P6 as a controller and as this is class compliant I can plug this straight into my iPad (via a USB hub) and power from a small battery pack on the move. For non-class compliant MIDI devices, a simple MIDI to USB adaptor works fine for my needs - job done
- Unbalanced outs - I understand that this might be an issue for some, but for me works fine with my ADAM A7's.
Latency - I thought this would definitely be where the device fell down, but how wrong I was. I am currently using this with my old Windows machine running a number of large orchestral sample libraries (such as Spitfire Audio, ProjectSAM etc). I honestly couldn't tell much difference from my RME interface - latency is incredibly low, and as a fairly accomplished pianist I am very aware of how annoying latency can be. I've checked this several times and with monitoring when recording from microphones also, all works flawlessly (still can't get my head around how Sonosax has achieved this).

Suffice to say...my other audio interfaces are now gathering dust!

It has to be said that this device is a steal for the price. A top quality audio interface and world class microphone pres for less than £1300, that works with everything from a phone to a Windows machine. It is a no brainer...and for me, wipes the floor with any other similar device I can think of on the market.
📝 Reply