The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best new reverbs?
Old 5th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek ➡️
How long tails you mean ? 3 sec or 10 sec ?
Talking 10 sec range and greater. The M7 hardware can be set up to 30sec. More for effect.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon ➡️
Talking 10 sec range and greater. The M7 hardware can be set up to 30sec. More for effect.
For such spaces I find Valhalla and Black Hole the very best
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef ➡️
He became a “plug-in man” only after spending years writing software for Lexicon hardware. I would think he knows as much as anyone alive about the differences (if any) between what plugins running on personal computers can do and what hardware reverb can do.

I mean, I suppose it’s possible that he’s exaggerating to make a point. But I see no reason to assume that the basic point he’s making isn’t true. I certainly don’t know as much as he does about it — and I think that’s true of nearly everyone in this thread.
My post was aimed at the poster of the comment, king2070lplaya.
My post shows who I am responding to.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
For such spaces I find Valhalla and Black Hole the very best
I'm so glad to hear you say that! I have a lot of "high end" reverb plugins from Exponential, UAD, Fabfilter, Acon, LiquidSonics, etc, but when I need an extraordinarily long and exposed tail I find exactly the two you mentioned the most effective.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon ➡️
It is. How good is it? We can swap between the plugin and hardware with no difference for normal use (or in our situation, multiple hardware M7 units.) Comes in handy when you don't want to move a rack of Bricastis.

Only time a difference is noticeable is extremely long tails. At that point, the Liquidsonics and the Bricasti differ -- most likely because Liquidsonics hasn't sampled tails at those lengths and it is pushing the hybrid nature of the plugin to extrapolate.
So you would really say that Liquid has identical sound with Bricasti including all the controls (within normal halls, spaces, chambers etc ?) Just trying it again now. And sincerely - after those few years - I feel that it sounds quite nice and full ... Still somehow, when you stop the sound, the Lexicon Random Hall decay sound just magical, Seventh Heaven a bit more "technical", while the real instrument sound may be a bit more full with Bricasti

I wonder which Bricasti/Seventh Heaven preset and setting would be closest to the Random Hall ?

I am also trying the Liquid Sonics Illusion - sounds also quite interesting. Trying to hear the difference between this and Seventh Heaven. Anyone has both ?

Last edited by ISedlacek; 6th January 2022 at 12:40 AM..
Old 6th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So you would really say that Liquid has identical sound with Bricasti including all the controls (within normal halls, spaces, chambers etc ?)
Yes. We keep the M7 link plugin on the same track as the SeventhHeaven and just copy the settings to make them the same.
Quote:
I wonder which Bricasti/Seventh Heaven preset and setting would be closest to the Random Hall ?
Honestly don't know (and wouldn't care.) Why make one plugin sound like another plugin you already have? I have the Lexicon plugin bundle.. when needed, it is used.

As for Illusion, don't have it. Just Cinematic Rooms Pro, Lustrous Plates Surround, and Seventh Heaven Pro. As far as I can understand the Liquidsonics vs Reverb Foundry division (since both companies are by the same guy) is Liquidsonics is based around impulse responses (their Fusion-IR engine) whereas Reverb Foundry is algorithmic. To find an approximation for Random Hall, I would look at HD Cart from Reverb Foundry. (not saying it's there as I don't have/use HD Cart but that's what it is meant for and was supposed to be in the vein of the Lexicon hardware.)
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
So you would really say that Liquid has identical sound with Bricasti including all the controls (within normal halls, spaces, chambers etc ?) Just trying it again now. And sincerely - after those few years - I feel that it sounds quite nice and full ... Still somehow, when you stop the sound, the Lexicon Random Hall decay sound just magical, Seventh Heaven a bit more "technical", while the real instrument sound may be a bit more full with Bricasti

I am also trying the Liquid Sonics Illusion - sounds also quite interesting. Trying to hear the difference between this and Seventh Heaven. Anyone has both ?
Why not just use Lexicon if you want Random Hall?

I use Relab's LX480 and it is fine, also the "cleaner" version in the PCM Native is fine, too.

I prefer Relab VSR S24 over all of this... for anything - small rooms, realism, cinematic big halls, anything...

It is simply a superb reverberation machine... Clear, 3D, doesn't interfere with the source signal, you can use a tonne of if and it still works!

I liked Valhalla Room, but it was always "too obvious" to me or too interfering with the source... I found the same lushness, but more clarity in VSR24... I absolutely love Valhalla Delay and Supermassive, though - I combine them with VSR24 for otherwordliness when needed... Supermassive has some nice small rooms in it - like the "Reverb2000" preset. But none are as clear, natural and open as VSR24... Valhalla Delay on the other hand is something precious... they should update Room to the similar quality as the Delay.

I hope Relab will release the new version, soon, because there is some funny GUI behaviour in the new Win11 / Nuendo11 environment...

But this is all very subjective. People make great sounds with very different tools.

I tested Seventh Heaven and never liked it much.

Last edited by The Listener; 6th January 2022 at 09:23 PM..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener ➡️
Why not just use Lexicon if you want Random Hall?

I use Relab's LX480 and it is fine, also the "cleaner" version in the PCM Native is fine, too.

I prefer Relab VSR24 over all of this... for anything - small rooms, realism, cinematic big halls, anything...

But this is all very subjective.

I tested Seventh Heaven and never liked it much.
Well Lexicon is very nice and after one day of trying Seventh Heaven in detail, I again feel that this reverb sounds rather a tiny bit "technical" in the end for me (especially when you listen to its a bit linear decay, while Random Hall has it rich, spacey and poetic - even with shorter decay than Bricasti.) The only thing is that when using Random Hall the instrument gets a bit "eaten" by it but I found and interesting option to use another reverb before that which will enlarge the space (like Acustica Silver) and then the result seems to be more impressive ...

For fun I may post few samples of acoustic instruments with the mentioned types of reverbs

Last edited by ISedlacek; 6th January 2022 at 10:10 PM..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well Lexicon is very nice and after one day of trying Seventh Heaven in detail, I again feel that this reverb sounds rather a tiny bit "technical" in the end for me (especially when you listen to its a bit linear decay, while Random Hall has it rich, spacey and poetic - even with shorter decay than Bricasti.) The only thing is that when using Random Hall the instrument gets a bit "eaten" by it but I found and interesting option to use another reverb before that which will enlarge the space (like Acustica Silver) and then the result seems to be more impressive ...

For fun I may post few samples of acoustic instruments with the mentioned types of reverbs
Check out reverb foundry hd cart as well. Same guy as Liquidsonics.

I loved this part 2 interview with Michael Carnes. Really interesting read about lexicon design philosophy. https://www.audiotechnology.com/regu...-carnes-part-2
Old 13th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Should you be interested, here is a quick small reverb test - few tones of handpan and violin with different reverbs - PCM Random Hall, LX480, Seventh Heaven, Illusion, Taichi, HD Cart, Neoverb, Acustica Silver. The aim was - dreamy spacey sound. All the reverbs set approximately the same: Large Hall 3,5 sec, 100% wet etc. My personal impression: I like PCM Random Hall and Acustica Silver the best (most natural, dreamy, pleasant sound), others sound a bit "synthetic" to me (especially when you hear only decay). I can still do more trying for few days till all the demos expire.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...fS?usp=sharing
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I put my stuff together a few $K at a time over many years. Only a few pieces cost more than $2K, EQ's, speakers, computer cards. So I ended up with M5000, Pair of PCM 70's and Eventide 7600. Few other mid range delay and effects units. Could not justify an M7 because I am doing Rock and Roll, and Techno.

Not doing any Jazz or classical stuff, if I was, the M7 would become a critical piece for realism.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum ➡️
I ended up with M5000, Pair of PCM 70's and Eventide 7600. Few other mid range delay and effects units.
nice selection!

Quote:
Could not justify an M7 because I am doing Rock and Roll, and Techno.
all my gear is agnostic of genre but i get your (financial) point.

Quote:
Not doing any Jazz or classical stuff, if I was, the M7 would become a critical piece for realism.
in terms of 'realism', the quantec yardsticks plus the sony (and yamaha) sampling reverbs imo very clearly beat the briscasti but no doubt it's a desireable device.
Old 14th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
nice selection!

all my gear is agnostic of genre but i get your (financial) point.

in terms of 'realism', the quantec yardsticks plus the sony (and yamaha) sampling reverbs imo very clearly beat the briscasti but no doubt it's a desireable device.
Went and looked at my rack. Also have a PCM96, Roland Dimension D, PCM41, and stomp box SDD-3000. Not hooked up an Electrix MoFx. Using the stomp box ties up my IBP and a ZOD or Firefly DI.

In general, it was about getting good enough without breaking the bank for a home studio. That blend is enough to keep from from digging into plugs most of the time. Plug's I tend to bounce to capture what I hear and use up another track vs an aux send.

Still resisting ITB as much as I can.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Should you be interested, here is a quick small reverb test - few tones of handpan and violin with different reverbs - PCM Random Hall, LX480, Seventh Heaven, Illusion, Taichi, HD Cart, Neoverb, Acustica Silver. The aim was - dreamy spacey sound. All the reverbs set approximately the same: Large Hall 3,5 sec, 100% wet etc. My personal impression: I like PCM Random Hall and Acustica Silver the best (most natural, dreamy, pleasant sound), others sound a bit "synthetic" to me (especially when you hear only decay). I can still do more trying for few days till all the demos expire.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...fS?usp=sharing
Thanks for posting! To my ear, the quality of the decay of the PCM Random Hall makes it the clear winner.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty ➡️
Thanks for posting! To my ear, the quality of the decay of the PCM Random Hall makes it the clear winner.
Yes, sounds full, dreamy, poetic. Others sound more 2D and slightly synthetic. Except Acustica Silver - nice full real space.
Old 21st January 2022
Lives for gear

Ran across this fairly extensive test of a number of reverbs that may be of interest to some - it includes 30 different verbs, and surprisingly includes IRCAM Flux SPAT, using solo vocal, piano, and other acoustic samples. I thought Breeze sounded quite good there…

Scroll down the page until you see the video:
https://vi-control.net/community/thr...ltiverb.52299/

And of course it goes without saying that if the room you record in is not good, it will not matter what reverb you try to paste on top of it - it will still suck.
Old 21st January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman ➡️
Ran across this fairly extensive test of a number of reverbs that may be of interest to some - it includes 30 different verbs, and surprisingly includes IRCAM Flux SPAT, using solo vocal, piano, and other acoustic samples. I thought Breeze sounded quite good there…

Scroll down the page until you see the video:
https://vi-control.net/community/thr...ltiverb.52299/
thx!

Quote:
And of course it goes without saying that if the room you record in is not good, it will not matter what reverb you try to paste on top of it - it will still suck.
well, if you're forced to record in a bad sounding room, you better adjust mic technique...

....and i found the tc 4000, (5000,) 6000 and r24 or then the mighty quantec (qrs,) 2402 and 2496 to behave much better in 'verb on verb' applications than all other (hardware) room emulation devices i came across.
Old 11th March 2022
Lives for gear

I have added acustica silver and 2caudio breeze 2.5 to my arsenal now, and 2 months later, I have not touched my altiverb, or any other reverbs really (except Denise perfect room which I use for in-house videos because it sounds like what my room looks like). Silver is super nice, though cpu intensive, and perhaps the best reverb to date in my house anyway - I used it on an fx buss for a chamber orchestra recording and it was literally perfect.
That said, I am using breeze 2.5 on almost every project - I cannot believe this $100 plugin sounds SO real. I just used it on a short recording for a movie trailer and it was exactly right - dreamy and smooth. Moderate cpu hit, and allows me to use multiple instances as inserts (as is often my wont). I also cannot believe I finally found a plugin reverb that I can listen to and not think “that’s not quite right…”
I have now stopped shopping for reverbs :-)
Old 13th March 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman ➡️
I have added acustica silver and 2caudio breeze 2.5 to my arsenal now, and 2 months later, I have not touched my altiverb,
Happy, I gave you a good tip. Unlike Altiverb etc., Silver does not sound that artificial but quite natural.

Funny enough, this is my favourite Silver reverb

Old 26th March 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This new arrival could be worth a try….open-source and will likely library-build over time too…it’s algorithmic rather than convolution based:

First version of ElephantDSP.com Room Reverb is out (open source reverb plugin)
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
From a video of a discussion at NAMM'22 regarding the harnessing of the considerable (and largely dormant, until you engage in a bit of video editing !) processing power of your computer's GPU. This company is redirecting that power to running much more processor intensive effects (reverbs, delays etc) than we currently have the capability of doing ....hence the need for Bricasti type external hardware.

It promises much for those involved in the production of acoustic music, where realistic, and often dense/layered, effects rate highly

A sample for you to try is linked in the text below.

The video outlines it best : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IFdgymosszA

"We spoke to Jonathan from GPU Audio about their latest free plugin, the upcoming beta-suite and how they see the future of audio processing using GPUs. https://earlyaccess.gpu.audio/?utm_so...

He outlines the benefits of using GPUs for audio; with extremely low latencies, multiple channels of processing, cloud based DSP, networked collaboration and the use of AI. They’ll be having an SDK available for third parties and will be releasing a free beta suite of plugins in the coming weeks - with partnerships with both NVIDIA and AMD now official.

We hear a short demo of their free FIR Convolver, which you can get from their website here: https://earlyaccess.gpu.audio/?utm_so...

Join their Discord here: https://discord.com/invite/McMfd4zv7M

Find out more information about what they’re doing on their website" : https://www.gpu.audio/
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
From a video of a discussion at NAMM'22 regarding the harnessing of the considerable (and largely dormant, until you engage in a bit of video editing !) processing power of your computer's GPU. This company is redirecting that power to running much more processor intensive effects (reverbs, delays etc) than we currently have the capability of doing ....hence the need for Bricasti type external hardware.

It promises much for those involved in the production of acoustic music, where realistic, and often dense/layered, effects rate highly

"We spoke to Jonathan from GPU Audio about their latest free plugin, the upcoming beta-suite and how they see the future of audio processing using GPUs. https://earlyaccess.gpu.audio/?utm_so...

He outlines the benefits of using GPUs for audio; with extremely low latencies, multiple channels of processing, cloud based DSP, networked collaboration and the use of AI. They’ll be having an SDK available for third parties and will be releasing a free beta suite of plugins in the coming weeks - with partnerships with both NVIDIA and AMD now official.

We hear a short demo of their free FIR Convolver, which you can get from their website here: https://earlyaccess.gpu.audio/?utm_so...

Find out more information about what they’re doing on their website" : https://www.gpu.audio/
i have no doubts that the future of audio is networked (in multiple ways) and that machine learning/ai and cpu power will keep growing so you won't need to rent a supercomputer to run your mixes...

regarding high quality reverbs, the thing is though that many of us who have been working in this business for some time often own serveral hardware efx devices which are long paid and in sonic terms don't need enhancement; if anything could stop me from using these devices in the near future, it'd be high-channel immersive formats (as it's certainly easier to adjust multiple interdependent parameters within one unit) - however, i don't expect immersive formats to go anywhere anytime soon outside of cinema and gaming (even though specifically atmos is getting pushed right now)...

p.s. i bought another pcm96s and tc system 6000 not too long ago.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️

There's ongoing discussion of its rollout here at GS in this sub-forum:

GPU Audio - using the graphics card for audio software

The developer writes:

"GPU Audio is basically a middleware that can be used to parallelize dsp algorithms onto the gpu, for anywhere from typically 10x-100x performance gains depending on format. Right now we have it working on vst3 and AU (within a few days) and aiming for AAX and hopefully even CLAP soon. lots more to come.

GPUs advance so quickly, even sometimes a simple firmware or driver update can optimize performance greatly compared to how long it takes to re-up hardware, pcb manufacturing etc. I can assure you that we are 100% not a closed ecosystem and our plugins we are making in house are largely serving the proof of concept angle, and the SDK is a middleware that will take the headache and math out of managing GPU threads/data transfer/latencies, and allow devs to easily parallelize algorithms. appreciate your interest, and hope to keep it

GPU Audio SDK is a middleware that will allow devs to parallelize their algorithms for real-time GPU processing. working to make this as seamless as possible"

There's also a livestream Q &A session coming up in the next day:

"First of all, many of you have been along with us for this ride of going "public" and the support has been next-level and encouraging. We have decided to go live tomorrow to do an Ask-Me-Anything for the community, so im sharing the link! We have a team of moderators that will feed us the questions, after we give a "State-Of-Tech" update on our company and incoming Open-Beta. Ask us literally anything.

Tune in at 10AM PST/1PM EST (USA time) You can also stream on Facebook, LinkedIn (just look us up you'll see it)"

https://youtu.be/PthX8TMpLUc
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A few GPU Audio FAQ's are addressed in this short video: https://youtu.be/8nXpxjxnaiE
📝 Reply