Quantcast
KEF lovers? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KEF lovers?
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
KEF lovers?

Does anyone here use KEF speakers for monitoring? I have a friend who has a pair of the floor-standing models (R series) and I liked them very well--what I heard was mostly classical and jazz music. His speakers are to big for my setup, I was looking at the smaller Q150 passives but don't know anyone using them. Any users here?
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I use the KEF LS50 on location and in the studio. I've been very happy with them. Not quite full-range, but paired with a real sub (REL Storm III) they're pretty remarkable. The larger siblings with the same Uni-Q driver are spectacular. But as in all things transducer, room and positioning matter quite a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
KEF lovers?-46b4071e-527e-4799-9a71-0c41d0669f18.jpg   KEF lovers?-fullsizeoutput_24e4.jpg  
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
KEF were top dog in the 80s, in the heyday of BBC LS
Now Chinese owned, a badge company
The UNI-Q is an exception and the LS50 a useful tool, do they do an active version?
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
From the mid 70's I recall some very taut and pleasing bass coming from a pair of IMF transmission line speakers (was it the TLS 80's ?) using the oval shaped KEF B139 driver ....which seemed to have a drum skin on top, what was that about ?

Heavy mothers....not the sort of box you'd tote around on a location gig as monitors (though I recall some had castors fitted, so maybe they did get rolled into broadcast vans ? )

No, methinks the Chartwell/Rogers/BBC LS-3/5a were the champs of the remote monitoring world, at least for the UK...although Quad ELS and ESL63 were in favour for location work too in UK
Old 6th March 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➑️
No, methinks the Chartwell/Rogers/BBC LS-3/5a were the champs of the remote monitoring world, at least for the UK...although Quad ELS and ESL63 were in favour for location work too in UK
The KEF "consumer" version of that is the 101. Great speakers for way less than you'll pay for an official ls35a. My mailman tries to convince me to sell mine almost daily.
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A KEF love fest? I'm in. I started with a pair of the Codas years ago, then bought Q300's and Q100's. All pretty modest price points, yet using REW in my well-treated room they measure pretty flat. Q300 sounded better in my old room, but in my newer studio I prefer the Q100. Used as near-fields about 36" apart and a couple feet from the wall toed in, they sound great. The concentric drivers and front port make for a nice tight sound.

Been tempted by the LS50 but when I upgrade I'd still prefer to not use a sub. I also think I want to go with one of the sealed box designs.

Can't believe how good KEFs are for the money.
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Which are the UNI-Q models suggested above? Looking online it's not immediately apparent which model(s) are the ones suggested in the above comments. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz ➑️
Which are the UNI-Q models suggested above? Looking online it's not immediately apparent which model(s) are the ones suggested in the above comments. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.
The bulk of them are over-pitched to the audiophile community, but there are some great sounds to be had.

R Series 2018 - Hi-Fi Speakers - Speakers

the Reference1 is pretty remarkable:
Reference 1 Ultimate HIfI Bookshelf Speaker Pair | KEF Direct
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There was a certain clarity I liked in my friend's R series towers. The music being played was very well recorded and his room is well treated, but I had the thought. Interesting to hear about the Q series KEFs, since they are what I can fit in my studio setup right now. Eventually I think I'd want a sub, if only to be able to hear problems in low Hz, but the response of the Q150s would work for a lot of what I end up mixing here w/o a sub. At this point I am only interested in passive speakers, and I like that KEF has many choices in that format.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by avillalta ➑️
I use the KEF LS50 on location and in the studio. I've been very happy with them. Not quite full-range, but paired with a real sub (REL Storm III) they're pretty remarkable. The larger siblings with the same Uni-Q driver are spectacular. But as in all things transducer, room and positioning matter quite a bit.
Samplitude/Sequoia??
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avillalta ➑️
The bulk of them are over-pitched to the audiophile community, but there are some great sounds to be had.

R Series 2018 - Hi-Fi Speakers - Speakers

the Reference1 is pretty remarkable:
Reference 1 Ultimate HIfI Bookshelf Speaker Pair | KEF Direct

nice one, cheers..........
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston69 ➑️
Samplitude/Sequoia??
Sequoia
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've owned the KEF LS50 Anniversary since they were released.

They are amazing monitors for their size.
Very, detailed with more then enough bass for a nearfield mixing.
Attached Thumbnails
KEF lovers?-console-close.jpg  
Old 7th March 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler ➑️
I've owned the KEF LS50 Anniversary since they were released.

They are amazing monitors for their size.
Very, detailed with more then enough bass for a nearfield mixing.
I see you also have some bigger iron behind the KEFs (ATC?). Did switching back and forth take some getting used to? And the KEF mixes translated well I guess? I sit pretty close to where those speakers would be mounted, so that's good news about the low-end.
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
phil,
The larger monitors in my photo are the Unity Boullders MKII

Actually switching from one monitor to another, is no problem at all...

The KEF's are really quite amazing little monsters!
They sound beautiful, pin point accuracy, and can handle a hell of a lot of abuse...
Trust me!
Old 20th November 2020
Lives for gear

Anyone using or heard the KEF LS50 Wireless?
Old 21st November 2020
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
For a very long time I had a pair of KEF 104/2s that I used for mastering monitors. See https://us.kef.com/explore-kef/kef-m...l-1042-1984-96

Great speakers. I really miss them. I sold them to one of my intern's parents and they are still using them.

I drove them with a Bryston 3BST amplifier.

FWIW
Old 21st November 2020
Lives for gear

I don’t think the LS50 wireless is too different sonically from the standard LS50, save for it having a digital crossover and separate amps for hi and lo.

So, assuming you’re using a digital input, the LS50 Wireless should perform about as well as the LS50 does.

The new W2 has coax spdif digital input in place of USB, which may be useful to you.

I’m using a pair of Q150s with a tiny class D amp at home, and I really love the sound. I think they are a great deal.
Old 22nd November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I use a pair of Kef HTS3001SE units for low-level music playback at my mic repair station. I blocked the ports and applied a Linkwitz Transform-style boost to get them flat down to 35Hz.

Couple of other tweaks to the EQ further up the range, and they sound very very good at sensible levels.
Of course, asking a pair of 4.5" cones to go down to 35Hz means very limited SPL is available, but that's okay in my case.

Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Can a y Kef hold a candle to likes of Amphion for mixing - LS50 for example?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED ➑️
Can a y Kef hold a candle to likes of Amphion for mixing - LS50 for example?
I'd call anything KEF a valid reference check, an alternative point of view. Find some 101's if you can; they're essentially LS3/5a's at a bargain price.

This applies to the real stuff, not the GC Rockits, etc.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➑️
I'd call anything KEF a valid reference check, an alternative point of view. Find some 101's if you can; they're essentially LS3/5a's at a bargain price.

This applies to the real stuff, not the GC Rockits, etc.
Can 101's go as low as Amphions, and translate mix wise for example, vintage BBC style speakers don't seem to be known for their low end, or is that a misconception?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The chesty hump in the LS3/5a was to enhance the bottom end.
It was also a BBC characteristic.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 ➑️
The chesty hump in the LS3/5a was to enhance the bottom end.
It was also a BBC characteristic.
so they go reasonably low - suitable for modern genres of music etc?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They are not JBLs ...
Insensitive and 15 Ohms impedance
Suitable for near field moderate levels.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED ➑️
Can 101's go as low as Amphions...
no.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The main system here at my office/shop is equipped with a pair of Amphion One18 . . . and I also have a pair of KEF Reference 102/2 (early-1990s) kicking around. The latter I acquired new-old-stock in IIRC about 1997 -- I was a KEF regional servicer at the time, and a dealer was dropping the line based on their re-alignment with different US distribution and global ownership. I've had them in and out of various domestic playback systems over the years, using all sorts of different tube and solid-state amplification.

I think that this "series 2" iteration of KEF's "Reference" line is typically seen as the pinnacle of the products that bear the KEF nameplate . . . and my overall impression is that people tend to remember them a bit more fondly than they actually deserve, including the flagship Reference 107/2. My pair is absolutely not in the same class as the Amphions; not even close . . . and also weren't when directly compared to my higher-end small monitors at the time (that were eventually replaced by the Amphions), the ATC SCM20SL (passive version). That being said they do image well, at least across a relatively narrow sweet spot, and they're relatively free of the upper-midrange directivity spikes that plague most two-way designs of the era. The bass is a bit thin and prone to lower-midrange muddiness, depending on placement and amplification. All of the KEFs of this era have idiosyncratic bass performance IMO, and seem to relay dynamics in a bit of a lackluster manner.

For use as a classical-music nearfield, I think the KEFs would be most useful and consistent in communicating the image/soundfield for i.e. dialing in the placement and setup of a main mic array, and top-end voicing to an extent. For judging bass texture and extension, you'll absolutely need a sub that's well dialed-in. For mixing (i.e. spot mics) I could see them being reasonably adequate, if you spend the time to learn how things translate to other systems. A side-effect of the devolution of the KEF company, brand, and reputation is that they don't hold their value . . . so in the context of a secondhand purchase, they could be a decent value if found in good condition. I wouldn't mind getting rid of my pair, but it simply hasn't been worth the effort to sell or ship them for what would probably be a fair price to the buyer.

FWIW I do use a REL sub with the Amphion and have absolutely top-tier electronics driving them . . . and I've never really used the Amphion in a domestic context, nor had to rely on the 102/2 to make mix or recording decisions. So these are just my general impressions, not results from any serious side-by-side comparison.
πŸ“ Reply