The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best portable vintage tape device for field recordings?
Old 27th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
(Warning! Slight hijack)

Thanks. It's an expensive labor of love. Putting a new front-end it it as we speak. Coil-overs, rack, sway bar; all from an AC Cobra. Should handle better now.

(Now, back to the program already in progress)

D.
another OT hijack... what carbs you have in there? back to programming
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave ➡️
I heard of a guy who took portable cassette deck and retrofitted a huge angled head - and same with playback machine... any body ever did that? take 1/4 inch tape player into like 3/4 or 1"? just wondering.
You had the Elcaset format for a while which was twice the width of cassette and ran twice the speed. Never caught on.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave ➡️
another OT hijack... what carbs you have in there? back to programming
Twin SU HS4s.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
BEHOLD.

PORTABLE Elcaset.
Attached Thumbnails
Best portable vintage tape device for field recordings?-image.jpeg  
Gear Addict

Well, it looks like now I need to track down something else for my collection of long-obsolete and unsuccessful mediums.... to place along my picocassette machine and my Minidisc gear (or maybe not, after looking at the "sold-for" price of one on the famous auction site!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo ➡️
BEHOLD.

PORTABLE Elcaset.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

You might like a Sony TCM-200DV. I've been buying broken ones ($5-$15), fixing them, and selling them on Ebay ($30-$65). They have a half speed switch as well as speed knob, so you can get extreme speed variation. Only 1/8 inch in and out and only mono, but still great for experimental music. I have 2 auctions starting at noon Eastern today. I also recommend the Marantz PMD-201, 221, or 222. I fix those too. They also have half speed switch as well as speed control knob. But they have many additional useful features, such as manual record level and more input and output options. The 221 and 222 are three head units, which allows you to monitor the sound of the recording from the tape in near real time. 3 head units can also be configured with a mixer to create tape delay. The 222 has XLR connectors. The 420 is a stereo 2-head and 430 is stereo 3-head. The stereo models also have Dolby and DBX noise reduction, but no speed control.
📝 Reply