Quantcast
Backpack big enough for rack effects - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Backpack big enough for rack effects
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Backpack big enough for rack effects

I've been doing a lot of mobile recording lately. Does anyone know of a backpack large enough to hold a rack unit like the apogee ensemble?
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Guru
There are very large backpacks available in Japan, they are a rage there. Big enough to hold a person.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ive often thought that it would be a great idea to have a rack in a backpack product. I could have really used that to consolidate equip and make for less trips to the car.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A quick scan of Amazon et al seems to indicate that typical wide backpacks max out around 15" / 38cm. Perhaps a better approach would be a side-pocket pack wherein the rack mount is vertical rather than horizontal...In any case (bad pun) it looks like its likely a custom pack at this point in time. In the landscape format, a 19" rack-pack would certainly define your "personal bubble" on the subway
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just add a couple of shoulder straps to a suitable 19" canvas bag 1u (SKB)
Any leather worker could easily rivet the straps on for you, or do it yourself with small bolts/rivets and large washers.
Some of those bags/cases even have half moon clips already on them (for clipping on extras)
My 2c
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Gator sells those soft sided 1U-4U rack bags with a strap. They're basically the same as those evil one-strap backpacks that were all the rage a few years ago.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
this will carry it
Redoxx railroad gear
or their smaller bags

Last edited by surflounge; 2 weeks ago at 08:07 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
If you don't need 8 mic pres, I'd get a field recorder. You can even get one with 8 mic pres, but I'm guessing you don't wanna spend too much.

I wheeled a 19" interface and laptop into my first location sound project. In hindsight it was overkill and the field recorder I ultimately got would've been far more efficient.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I go practically nowhere without either a full-sized (smaller) Wenger Swiss Army pack, or a (taller) "BugOut" (tactical assault) backpack (purchased at the PX before a gig at Ft. Benning).

The Wenger has done well carrying a Apogee Ensemble FW and a Broadhurst Gardens BG8 mic amp (they're a bit taller than the rear pocket, so it doesn't really work in rain without a bit of trash bag, artfully deployed), with room for a 12" MacBook Pro and SSD drive, and a couple of soft mics cases in the front pouch. I also tend toward a two-wheeler cart for the mic stands bag (one of those inexpensive speaker stand zipper bags from GC or Sam Ash, which zippers last about five years or so before they let go) and always have black gaff and white console tapes trickline-tied to the side of the Wenger, and a Leatherman tool and MiniMagLight on my belt.

For "simple" gigs, I use the BugOut loaded with the BG8 and a Mackie Onyx 1220FW for up to 8 inputs. More than 8? A M32R in a roller Pelican, and an assistant.

For even simpler gigs, a Tascam DR-60D, a mic stand bag, a long stereo cable, and a pair of Gefells, DPAs or Sennheisers. Every now and again, a MS setup with a SM27 and a AT4050.

Then there's the second Pelican roller case with mic and power cables, multi-taps, and other bits and bobs. Covers most 2-4 mic gigs, and it helps to have more cable length than you think you'll need (and spares)... After that (or for a full PA setup) the trailer comes out to play. It's all gotten much heavier since my last birthday (headed toward my dotage)... but is still manageable.

Onward!

HB
πŸ“ Reply