The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann's first studio headphones
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Neumann's first studio headphones

Neumann...so it must be good, right ? Indeed....what took them so long ? It's not as if there isn't a stiff field of competition (ie Sennheiser, AKG, Sony et al) to front up against....so they'll have to bring something special to an already-filled table.

Any returned NAMM vets here yet, who can give early listening reports ?

Let's start the griping early, and beat the rush...I predict earcup-hinge reliability problems, judging by the pic...they'd better have a good spares inventory ready to roll, prior to release day.

NEUMANN HEADPHONES: NAMM LAUNCH

Sennheiser and Neumann launch new wireless and studio gear
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
With a Neumann price tag to go along with them?
Old 23rd January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler ➑️
With a Neumann price tag to go along with them?
Quite probably, and perhaps even onboard DSP speaker emulation and cross feed....but not for a few years until they've modded the KH80 firmware
Old 23rd January 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Maybe a Sennheiser headphone with a Neumann logo....
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I tried them out at NAMM today. Of course that's not the best venue for headphone shopping, but what I heard was pretty impressive. Very comfortable, and a warm, gentle sound quality that I really liked. Might even be worth the $500+ these will cost!
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think MSRP is $499 on those. Damned Neumann keeps taking all my money.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
NEUMANN Headphone Official Webpage
Old 25th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D. ➑️
I tried them out at NAMM today. Of course that's not the best venue for headphone shopping, but what I heard was pretty impressive. Very comfortable, and a warm, gentle sound quality that I really liked. Might even be worth the $500+ these will cost!
How was the build quality? Comfortable enough to wear for several hours at a time? Isolate well?
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
An interesting read: Is the new Neumann NDH 20 a Sennheiser HD 630VB clone? (Google translation).
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Made on the Irish Sennheiser assembly line along side Neumann LS, so should be ok
Spare pads and cables available, that's good
Deserve a listen and comparison with the venerable HD 25 which are now 40 yrs old
Comfort ,isolation and reliability are essential, SQ must be neutral ish
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good move Neumann, leaving the open-backed high-end turf to Sennheiser. These seem on first glance to be aimed at the discerning (or name-dropping) studio crowd (home and commercial): closed back, foldable.

The hinges 'look' sturdy enough, I may have to retract my comments about their possible fragility.....but not until they've had a few months in the studio trenches around the world, been trodden-on and dropped and generally been subjected to typical road/location/studio love and care Spare parts situation is very commendable too
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKay ➑️
An interesting read: Is the new Neumann NDH 20 a Sennheiser HD 630VB clone? (Google translation).
Could very well be in many respects - but even if it uses the same driver, the damping could be very different to tune the headphones for accurate monitoring purposes, rather than music enjoyment.

If you already have the tooling to make the housing etc., it makes sense to use the same tooling so yoiu don't have to re-design from scratch; especially as the sales volume would be less than Sennheiser consumer headphones.

Just as car manufactirers share certain parts between models and manufacturers.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
For Rappers??

I need to know which Sennheiser headphone is re-badged to Neumann?

Why doesn't Sennheiser leave the expertise to the headphone manufacturer, Sennheiser?

Someone at NAMM please pose this question to the headphone manager.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler ➑️
How was the build quality? Comfortable enough to wear for several hours at a time? Isolate well?
The pads are made from memory foam, which sealed around my eyeglasses pretty well. Isolation was impressive considering the noise going on nearby. I liked that a lot.

Paint job is done in all metallic colors so it's hard to tell what is metal and what is plastic on them, but they are pretty heavy giving the feeling of quality. I was a little surprised that they were "only" $500 based on my 5 minutes with them and the Neumann name on them.

I'm no headphone expert though. YMMV.

Pic attached, next to Rhodium plated U87 special edition!
Attached Thumbnails
Neumann's first studio headphones-img_5313.jpg  
Old 26th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➑️
For Rappers??

I need to know which Sennheiser headphone is re-badged to Neumann?

Why doesn't Sennheiser leave the expertise to the headphone manufacturer, Sennheiser?

Someone at NAMM please pose this question to the headphone manager.
I would guess that it actually *has* been Sennheiser designed.

Axel Grell is a great headphone designer and I would expect that his hand is in there somewhere.

However, Sennheiser are known for great consumer headphones, some of which are also excellent for pro. work.

But I can see the reasoning of badging headphones as "Neumann". Change the voicing for accuracy rather than "sounding nice" and you have headphones specifically designed for professional work rather than consumer use - it then makes sense to badge them as "Neumann", even if the actiual design was done mainly by Sennheiser experts.
Old 26th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D. ➑️
The pads are made from memory foam
This worries me - I find that memory foam does not breath and makes my ears sweat.

I find I can wear headphones with memory foam earpads for only a very short time before they become extremely uncomfortable.

I also hate memory foam for beds as when I sleep on a memory foam matress (that many hotels have) I find myself sweating all night and have a very uncomfortable sleep.

So - memory foam immediately turns me off.

Unless modern memory foam has changed to be able to breathe more ???
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you check out the discussion thread on this headphone at the NAMM 2019 forum on GS, it's stated that Neumann have announced their "voicing target" for these headphones as being the Sennheiser HD650....so if that device is one you admire it could give a clue as to whether the Neumann set will appeal to you, or not ?
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My pair of Neumann NDH 20 phones arrived last week. First impressions are the build quality is very high, comfort is good, isolation is good, and sound is OK. They do not suggest the same neutrality that our HD 600, or even less neutral HD 650, offer. In my mind, the Neumanns are a good bit better for my needs than our other closed back phones like the Beyer 1770 (less neutral yet), or Focal Spirit Pro (much less neutral).

Regarding John's concerns over memory foam comfort and heat dissipation, I can't say, as I've worn the Neumann phones for about one hour in the most extending singe use.

As for the value for the dollar, not sure. They were around $460, so quite decent coin.

None of these are are good as the Etymotic model 4's in terms of lack of coloration, but talents often don't care for the in-ear style - so having a decent closed back phone is needed for us.

John Caldwell
Old 3rd March 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➑️
This worries me - I find that memory foam does not breath and makes my ears sweat.

I find I can wear headphones with memory foam earpads for only a very short time before they become extremely uncomfortable.

I also hate memory foam for beds as when I sleep on a memory foam matress (that many hotels have) I find myself sweating all night and have a very uncomfortable sleep.

So - memory foam immediately turns me off.

Unless modern memory foam has changed to be able to breathe more ???
I dont like memory foam either.
Old 29th April 2019
PSV
Here for the gear

I listened to these headphones at Vintage King here in LA last week.
I didn't like them at all, they sounded very boxy. I also tried a pair of HD650's through the same preamp and they were gloriously neutral, a beautiful sound.
I'd like to hear the Neumanns again sometime, in case this was a random anomaly.
Old 29th April 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's a a UK review here (and probably several others by now also ?)...this one is for subscription holders (or you can buy a download of the review) : https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/neumann-ndh-20
Old 30th April 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSV ➑️
I didn't like them at all, they sounded very boxy. I also tried a pair of HD650's through the same preamp and they were gloriously neutral, a beautiful sound.
I'd like to hear the Neumanns again sometime, in case this was a random anomaly.
The 650 are very open headphones and the Neumann is very closed.

They are designed for very different purposes.

Any closed headphones would sound boxy in a comparison like this - chalk and cheese.
Old 30th April 2019
PSV
Here for the gear

Yes, John, I realize that, but I also had a pair of AT M50x there, which are closed, and they sounded fantastic...the Neumann sounded like there was something going on in the 450-750 range, very unusual and apparent. The preamp was the same for all throughout...
Old 2nd May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSV ➑️
I think what you mean is that the source you listened to sounded "boxy" since the Neumann headphones are very accurate and neutral.

Also can you add more to your comment about "something going on in the 450-750 range?"

What are you trying to say?
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Just found out that these new Neumann headphones are made in China. That is what it said on the box.

I was expecting them to come out of the Sennheiser headphone / studio monitor factory in Ireland.

Last edited by Plush; 13th May 2019 at 04:06 PM..
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Guru
Does that break the deal even if they perform well? Expect a 25% price jump after Friday's China tariffs kicked in here.
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Why? Presumably it's imported into Germany as a proprietary Neumann product, with Neumann value added by blessing, repackaging, and marketing, doubling to tripling it's selling price, then sent to a US distributor as a Germany export.

I'm against this tariff BS tax, just trying to understand the mechanics.

Tom

Last edited by tailspn; 13th May 2019 at 02:47 AM..
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Guru
If it's marketed here in the USA as a German import/product then I expect the cost to be less here than in the EU with their higher taxes and VAT.
Old 16th May 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➑️
Just found out that these new Neumann headphones are made in China. That is what it said on the box.

I was expecting them to come out of the Sennheiser headphone / studio monitor factory in Ireland.
Interesting - I am very surprised.

I expect to see fakes very soon - when Sennheiser made their in-ear headphones in China, the market was soon flooded by fakes sold as the real thing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Greg Simmons (Simmosonic, who posts often here) has taken the Neumann NHD20 headphones with him on an extended jungle (hardly a field, is it ?) test to northern Thailand's Chiang Mai on a village recording trek.

Here's his review on their suitability for the task, bundled with Nagra 7, Sennheiser MKH800 mics and Etymotic in-ears: https://www.audiotechnology.com/tuto...ack-headphones
πŸ“ Reply