The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
It's that time of year....
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's that time of year....

....when the community choirs come out to strut their stuff. Here's a sample from tonight's concert in my town....a new take on one of the many Hallelujah's doing the rounds at this time of year !

Festive greetings, if it's your tradition to celebrate.
Attached Files

Hallelujah .mp3 (7.41 MB, 512 views)

Old 21st December 2018
Here for the gear

That's absolutely lovely singing and beautifully recorded. Thanks for sharing!
Old 22nd December 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No problem, 50cm AB pair: Rode NT5 Omni plus U89 spot on harp.
Old 24th December 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
As mics with such a big peak in the high frequencies Rodes in omni always surprise me with their classy sound!

Nice recording!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A different celebration, again one of the significant dates in the Judaeo-Christian calendar is almost upon us....here's a short segment of Vivaldi, recorded last week
Attached Files

Stabat Mater fragment.mp3 (12.61 MB, 182 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I am still seeing that it is far to early, pandemic-wise, for the singing ensembles to come out of hiding. I support that view in general, but it still makes me sad. :(:(

No "Spring Celebrations" in my neck of the woods and few even for my boss who has the whole local scene in his pocket.

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's probably a wise, conservative stance Doug...our town is looking in this direction >>>

indaily.com.au/inreview/music/2021/03/26/guidelines-help-sa-choirs-grappling-with-covid-confusion

https://www.adchornet.com.au/covidpage

I dunno if it makes us reckless...or what ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I read through those links. IMHO, there are still many, many qualifiers on choral singing in them.

We just passed the one year anniversary of the outbreak at the Skagit Valley Chorale.

Vax appointments for everyone over 18 were announced in my county last week. Don't know if they've filled up yet or not.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➑️
No problem, 50cm AB pair: Rode NT5 Omni plus U89 spot on harp.
Could you share a few more details? What was the distance to the choir and what was the angle (i.e. orchestra angle)? Thanks!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
A different celebration, again one of the significant dates in the Judaeo-Christian calendar is almost upon us....here's a short segment of Vivaldi, recorded last week
my i ask whether this was also done with an a/b mic setup?

(i like the voice, the meandering of the voice in the stereo soundfield and the balance between the ensemble and the voice much less...)

p.s. pretty much regardless of the pandemic situation, professional choirs in my country were allowed to rehearse and record during the last year.

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 12:54 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➑️
my i ask whether this was also done with an a/b mic setup?

(i like the voice, the meandering of the voice in the stereo soundfield and the balance between the ensemble and the voice much less...)
Yes, wide AB, wider than I would have liked, and very limited placement options in general....no voice spot. Hence the swaying of the singer's body to face the audience resulted in exaggerated image movement. Probably XY would have been a better choice, at the expense of overall image width ?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes, wide AB, wider than I would have liked, and very limited placement options in general....no voice spot. Hence the swaying of the singer's body to face the audience resulted in exaggerated image movement. Probably XY would have been a better choice, at the expense of overall image width ?
thx - don't worry/we will never know/there are almost always some issues which limit our options in terms of what we think we could achieve in a recording...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➑️
thx - don't worry/we will never know/there are almost always some issues which limit our options in terms of what we think we could achieve in a recording...
Yes with limited mic placement options, compromises are chosen which both enhance and show up deficiencies...sometimes you just have to live with those, in order to get some record of the event. C'est la vie...
πŸ“ Reply