The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MixPre 3: Microphone suggestions?
Old 20th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP ➡️
mic stands are overrated if you own an integrated one. ortf on the cheap.

Often thought about buying the Superlux S502, how do you like it? Have you done an A/B comparison with any others?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm ➡️
Often thought about buying the Superlux S502, how do you like it? Have you done an A/B comparison with any others?
Shaky quality control (my experience): buy 2, expect to be able to make 1 working edition from all the parts therein !
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Shaky quality control (my experience): buy 2, expect to be able to make 1 working edition from all the parts therein !
Oh dear! So in reality they cost double the price they are?

Would it be better then to buy one that is secondhand and "proven to be working"?
Old 20th August 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A pair of Line Audio CM-4 ($250) and a ORTF bar ($20 for a K&M) will get you there...
Old 21st August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm ➡️
For the price the S502 are incredible good. Some here at Gearslutz, who own the original Schoeps, own the Superlux and use them and were impressed.
If you search, you find some recordings of the S502 compared to the Schoeps.
I just record my own bands and some guitarists when doing videos. I'm just a musician and recording is something I like to do since I play in bands, but I'm in no way a professionell. I couldn't justify the 3.000,- for the Schoeps MSTC64.

I own some good mics from Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser and Neumann, but not for stereo recordings of gigs and band rehearsals, The Superlux and the MixPre replaced a Zoom H6 (also quite impressive for the money) and I like the results.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 ➡️
end-to-end omni SDC in a single blimp (if very windy) - as per the second pic
@ norfolksoundman9 Roland, I would like to try this setup, and I wonder if you could give some details on how you achieved it. It looks like you found a special XLR cable adapter for this purpose? Where would one find that?

My other question is how you fit both cables through the small hole of the blimp. I'm using the Rode Blimp, by the way, and the hole is snug around single cable that came with it.

Thanks!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaiya ➡️
@ norfolksoundman9 Roland, I would like to try this setup, and I wonder if you could give some details on how you achieved it. It looks like you found a special XLR cable adapter for this purpose? Where would one find that?

My other question is how you fit both cables through the small hole of the blimp. I'm using the Rode Blimp, by the way, and the hole is snug around single cable that came with it.

Thanks!
Hi Singaiya,

No special adapter: I adapted an adapter made of Neutrik parts, and give the details in my blog https://drbadphil.com/omni-mic-pair-in-a-single-blimp

You will need to drill a couple of holes, which is pretty simple.

In terms of the two cables fitting, if you (temporarily) remove the rubbery grommet thing then there will be space (unless you go for massive cables): on the Rode Blimp Mk1 this grommet falls out all the time, so I always have a few spares.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Roland
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 ➡️
Hi Singaiya,

No special adapter: I adapted an adapter made of Neutrik parts, and give the details in my blog https://drbadphil.com/omni-mic-pair-in-a-single-blimp

You will need to drill a couple of holes, which is pretty simple.

In terms of the two cables fitting, if you (temporarily) remove the rubbery grommet thing then there will be space (unless you go for massive cables): on the Rode Blimp Mk1 this grommet falls out all the time, so I always have a few spares.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Roland
That's excellent; thanks for that info and the link! I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Cheers
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaiya ➡️
That's excellent; thanks for that info and the link! I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Cheers
No problem: good luck!

Cheers,

Roland
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cinela

📝 Reply