The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sennheiser MKH30/40 in Rode Blimp 2?
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Sennheiser MKH30/40 in Rode Blimp 2?

I'm drawing up a proposal for my business to get a Mid/Side rig for natural field recording. I already have a Rode Blimp 2 (with the lyre not the rubber bands), that I use with a AT4025. I'm very much leaning toward getting a Sennheiser MKH30 with an MKH(80)40 (haven't decided yet).

There's a video online of someone doing a MKH30/40 combo inside a Blimp mk1, but being a very different configuration, I'm not sure how it would work to put a 30/40 on a lyre. I've seen some DIY setups with Neumanns and Oktavas, but those are quite a bit smaller.

How do most people rig their M/S MKH setups? I have no interest in getting the $900 Rycote basket, which is mainly for Double M/S rigging, and isn't something I have any use for.

Also, what are the pros/cons to the MKH40 vs MKH8040? As far as I can tell, they're the same capsule but in a smaller housing. I know the 40 has stood the test of time well and would physically pair better with the 30, so I'm leaning toward that, but the weight advantage of the 8040 might be nice.
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Smile

I would get the new Rycote stereo Cyclone

If you are getting an MKH 40/30 MS kit (the best IMHO), then it deserves a Rycote.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You need the Senny clip for MS mount, or the Rycote plastic clips
Size does matter in a wind shield, for years I had a Schoeps CCM8/CCM41l in a Rycote ball gag, it always need a furry wind cover
My MKH 30/40 in a large Rycote did not always need a furry
Used Rycotes are on the Bay as are 30s and 40s, Cyclones are nice but not essential
The chance of a MKH 8030 is minimal, so a 30/40 is still preferable
Old 16th August 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 ➡️
The chance of a MKH 8030 is minimal,
Lower than minimal I think.

The last time I spoke to Sennehiser they told me that it had been dropped from the roadmap - thopugh I *did* urge them to reconsider.

Maybe I will have another word at IBC in Amsterdam next month.

NB - they are more likely to reconsider if they keep getting asked at every trade show "when is the MKH 8030 coming?"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➡️

The last time I spoke to Sennehiser they told me that it had been dropped from the roadmap - thopugh I *did* urge them to reconsider.

NB - they are more likely to reconsider if they keep getting asked at every trade show "when is the MKH 8030 coming?"
I'd feel a little more placated if they were to venture the reason 'why' they have dropped development of the MKH8030...is it physical size constraints, achieving consistent specs, pattern irregularities ? The current MKH30 capsule can't be that much bigger than the theoretical 8030's capsule ?

Maybe, if we eventually see it, it might look something like this: https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/48a...9n1_635995.pdf
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
I'd feel a little more placated if they were to venture the reason 'why' they have dropped development of the MKH8030...is it physical size constraints, achieving consistent specs, pattern irregularities ? The current MKH30 capsule can't be that much bigger than the theoretical 8030's capsule ?

Maybe, if we eventually see it, it might look something like this: https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/48a...9n1_635995.pdf
The diaphragm of the MKH 8000 series is the same size as the MKH 40 series = 16mm - HOWEVER - the older series has the capsule with a screwed outer ring, whereas the 8000 series has a glued capsule with a much smaller outside dimension.

The reason for not doing it...

I think that Sennheiser do not fully understand the market - they think they won't sell very many (though I think they will sell a lot more than they think they will) and they also fail to see that the lack of the 8030 means that people are likely to invest in a Schoeps system, rather than a Sennheiser, as the 8000 is not a complete system without the 8030.

So, without an 8030, they are selling far fewer of the other patterns.

I *did* try and tell them ...........
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The diaphragm of the MKH 8000 series is the same size as the MKH 40 series = 16mm - HOWEVER - the older series has the capsule with a screwed outer ring, whereas the 8000 series has a glued capsule with a much smaller outside dimension.

The reason for not doing it...

I think that Sennheiser do not fully understand the market - they think they won't sell very many (though I think they will sell a lot more than they think they will) and they also fail to see that the lack of the 8030 means that people are likely to invest in a Schoeps system, rather than a Sennheiser, as the 8000 is not a complete system without the 8030.

So, without an 8030, they are selling far fewer of the other patterns.

I *did* try and tell them ...........
I spoke to a Sennheiser manager at AES NY
last Oct. and was told they dropped development because they didn’t think there was much market.
I also pointed out the issue of not offering a complete series and I will bug them again in October.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie ➡️
I spoke to a Sennheiser manager at AES NY
last Oct. and was told they dropped development because they didn’t think there was much market.
I also pointed out the issue of not offering a complete series and I will bug them again in October.
Yup - I think that we all just need to keep bugging them until they give in.

Though it does appear that they are concentrating everything on the mass market still and radio.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think we all have just been given a new mission.

I have my MKH40/30 rig in a Rycote MS blimp and I’ve never regretted it. I had the Rode Blimp as well for a little while - got it free with a microphone purchase - and never liked it much. It’s heavier, less flexible, and rattles more than the Rycote. Rycote is totally worth it IMO.

-Mike
Old 17th August 2018 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues ➡️
I have my MKH40/30 rig in a Rycote MS blimp and I’ve never regretted it. I had the Rode Blimp as well for a little while - got it free with a microphone purchase - and never liked it much. It’s heavier, less flexible, and rattles more than the Rycote. Rycote is totally worth it IMO.
Could you link me to the blimp you're talking about? All my searches come up with the $900 Cyclone-style windscreen, which seems like massive overkill for my needs. I've been relatively happy with my Rode Blimp, and wouldn't mind either using it or getting a similar-style Rycote, providing it can be fitted with an MKH mount. As I mentioned, the Rode Blimp Mk1 could be fitted with 2 MKH30/40 mics. But I'm not sure the lyre system can. Could anyone give me a clear answer to this?

PS: As per the 40 vs 8030 debate. I have little concern over weight. Due to the nature of my job, I'm always doing 20min+ recordings at a time, so I never hand-hold or even monopod, I always setup a tripod. A half-pound here or there isn't going to make a difference. Just yesterday I did a 5hr hike through the jungle (to get bamboo forest sounds), with a frame pack carrying my AT4025 (which is probably heavier than both the 30/40 combined), Rode Blimp, travel tripod, bagged MixPre3, and other hiking gear. So probably 30/40 it will be.
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
UPDATE: I'm an idiot. I was thinking I would need a new suspension mount, but it appears all I'll need is to get piggy-back clips to mount one mic on top of the other; $20 from B&H. My only slight concern is internal space. I have no question that two 25mm pencil mics piggybacked will fit fine on the lyre without physically touching the top of the blimp, but that only leaves about 1" above. I know wind-deadening requires some falloff distance, but I figure an inch is probably a good amount, especially on top where you're unlikely to receive any direct wind pressure. If I can pay $20 to get 99.9% of what I would for $900, I'm not gonna bother. Not crazy about the size and shape of cyclone for packing anyway.

Also learned: the Rode Blimp2 is for all intents and purpose a Rycote Blimp (now just called the "Modular Windscreen"). The Lyre component itself IS made by Rycote, and the windscreen looks to be identical in specs and design. The handle is slightly different, and I would say the Rycote has a superior XLR mounting system.

That will be one thing I'll have to figure out. I'll need to get a stereo breakout cable from two 3pin XLRs to meet a 5pin XLR in the handle. I'm seeing a few splitters with thin cables that are 18", so that should do the trick.

Last edited by Prime Mover; 17th August 2018 at 03:03 AM..
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I use my MKH 30/40 combo with the Rycote Windshield Kit 3, which I bought many years ago. No issues except must be a little more careful about handling noise. Pretty good setup that works.
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Rycote Cyclone for Sennheiser M/S set up is excellent. Yes, it's expensive, although with the current exchange rate, it's probably going to get a bit cheaper.

Here are a couple of pictures of it open and closed.

It's going to get a work-out tomorrow at what promises to be a very windy air-show.
Attached Thumbnails
Sennheiser MKH30/40 in Rode Blimp 2?-2018-08-17-18.32.27.jpg   Sennheiser MKH30/40 in Rode Blimp 2?-2018-08-17-18.31.40.jpg  
Old 17th August 2018 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by locojohn ➡️
I use my MKH 30/40 combo with the Rycote Windshield Kit 3, which I bought many years ago. No issues except must be a little more careful about handling noise. Pretty good setup that works.
Thanks man! Yeah, this seems like the best option for me.

My favorite thing about the windshield/blimp design is that since I fly a lot, it fits PERFECTLY inside about 1/3 of my carryon luggage, I can use the rest for a travel tripod, MixPre, and accessories. I doubt I'd be able to fit all that with a Cyclone, would probably have to check the tripod (shudder).

I'm not even fronting the bill, my job has offered to pay whatever is needed, but the Cyclone looks problematic for my needs with minimal advantages (in reading the shootouts I've seen). I'm sure it's great for some people, but I'd vastly prefer the portability of a blimp.
Old 17th August 2018
Here for the gear

Personally I'm not a fan of the cyclone and prefer the modular system or super shield.
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cyclone has undergone considerable development and is worth a try
Old 18th August 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If you're looking for a cheap blimp like the Rode Blimp v1 then get the Marantz Blimp ZP-1:

Marantz Professional ZP-1 Blimp-Style Microphone Windscreen ZP-1

Only US$149!!

Kinda thinking about grabbing one simply to have a spare back up, or one to rent out to students and such.
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That Marantz looks like the Indian made Rycote clone that isn't any good
Old 19th August 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Mover ➡️
My favorite thing about the windshield/blimp design is that since I fly a lot, it fits PERFECTLY inside about 1/3 of my carryon luggage, I can use the rest for a travel tripod, MixPre, and accessories. I doubt I'd be able to fit all that with a Cyclone, would probably have to check the tripod (shudder).
The M/S Cyclone is actually slightly smaller than my old Rycote Stereo blimp.
Old 19th August 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm ➡️
If you're looking for a cheap blimp like the Rode Blimp v1 then get the Marantz Blimp ZP-1:

Marantz Professional ZP-1 Blimp-Style Microphone Windscreen ZP-1

Only US$149!!

Kinda thinking about grabbing one simply to have a spare back up, or one to rent out to students and such.
Not suitable for MS as there is not enough room !
Old 20th August 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If as the OP suggests that the Rode Blimp v1 works then I strongly suspect so will this Marantz
Old 20th August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If it fits it will still be unsuitable as the 30 is v prone to wind blast and its too close to the blimp surface
It will need a furry
Old 20th August 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm ➡️
If as the OP suggests that the Rode Blimp v1 works then I strongly suspect so will this Marantz
I'm not sure the Røde v1 blimp was that good - the consultant who designed the Rycote one pointed out several of the deficiences to me when it first came out and, it seems, that Røde understood this as well, as he is now doing work directly for Røde.
Old 20th August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just FYI, this is my MS Cyclone in a small carry-on. Plenty of room for other stuff.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Sennheiser MKH30/40 in Rode Blimp 2?-cyclone-carry-.jpg  
Old 21st August 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That Cyclone is tempting. My Windshields for MKH30/40 MS and 8040 ORTF just barely fit into a full-size carry-on. Looks like Cyclone is quite a bit smaller. And no need for furries with the Cyclone, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsound ➡️
Just FYI, this is my MS Cyclone in a small carry-on. Plenty of room for other stuff.

John
Old 22nd August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Jim,

Furry not needed so far, but the weekend was less windy than expected, so the Cyclone didn't get a proper outing. The recommended Cyclone for the Sennheiser M/S combination is the smallest one Rycote make, as far as I'm aware. There is a furry available for it, if needed. The only other effective Sennheiser M/S windshield that I know of is the Cinela Pianissimo 2, which can be had with suspension and cabling for the Sennheiser MKH30/MKH8040(50) combination. But it's longer than the Cyclone and, at least in the UK, much more expensive.

My thinking is that if you're going to spend thousands of dollars on a pair of microphones for professional use, why would you compromise on the wind-protection and shock-mount system for the sake of a few hundred?

But each to his own, I guess.

Regards,

John
Old 22nd August 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

24 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsound ➡️
The only other effective Sennheiser M/S windshield that I know of is the Cinela Pianissimo 2, which can be had with suspension and cabling for the Sennheiser MKH30/MKH8040(50) combination. But it's longer than the Cyclone and, at least in the UK, much more expensive.
Thanks, I hadn't heard of that one. A quick check shows it at more than $1000US in the states.
Old 23rd August 2018 | Show parent
Deleted 017a497
Quote:
If it fits it will still be unsuitable as the 30 is v prone to wind blast and its too close to the blimp surface
It will need a furry
But is that to say it simply won't work at all? Or just that is needs a furry? It does include a furry. The reason I ask is that I am in a similar situation, and while I appreciate the merits of nice wind protection these purchases are more incremental than all encompassing. Sometimes the immediate choices include compromise no matter which way they are approached.

Quote:

I just sent them an email via support. It does seem like the decision to skip the MKH8030 devalues the entire 8000 series line of microphones.
Old 24th August 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios ➡️
Quote:
It will need a furry
But is that to say it simply won't work at all? Or just that is needs a furry? It does include a furry. The reason I ask is that I am in a similar situation, and while I appreciate the merits of nice wind protection these purchases are more incremental than all encompassing. Sometimes the immediate choices include compromise no matter which way they are approached.
It won't work very well at all.

Wind protection comes from the amount of still air that is around the mic(s). So - putting an MS pair into a basket windshield designed for a single mic. means that the mics will be close to the edge with very little air around them. ~So the protection will be well reduced.

A Windjammer is designed to take the energy out of strong winds before whey can affect the still air inside the windshield, though at a price of reducing treble a bit.

So - having an MS pair in a normal basket windshield will be better than no windshield at all, bit nowhere near as good as having a proper stereo windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios ➡️
Quote:

I just sent them an email via support. It does seem like the decision to skip the MKH8030 devalues the entire 8000 series line of microphones.
Great.
Old 24th August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a 40/30 pair in an original 4" Sennheiser blimp
It just fits, a long hair furry gives adequate protection to wind but not blasting
It is small though and better build than early Rycote, dates from the 80s, I have 3
📝 Reply