The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how do you usually start your live mix?
Old 23rd October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
how do you usually start your live mix?

thought about this while mixing a remote today....

do you usually spend time getting all the tracks clean, alligned, or even gated before you move on?

do you work on getting the drums right, and then the drums and bass?

or do you start with the rooms?

The mix I started today is a 3-piece improv rock gig - started off with running highpasses on the room/stage mics around 200hz, and then deciding I can get 90% of my drum sound from the hypercards I used pointing straight down at the kit as OHs...

then it's just a matter of guitar and bass to taste...

so, rather than just in general - how did you start your last live mix? which routes were you thinking about taking, and why did you base your mix around one sound rather than the other?
Old 23rd October 2002
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Jay,

For me, it really depends on the situation. If I'm recording a vocal group or choir with band or orchestra, I start with vocals. Then I move to the instruments. When it's a band with singers, I usually start with the drums & bass, then move to the next instrument on the balance list.

I always prefer to have the whole band playing while I tweak the tracks. Many times you get what you can get. If the guitarist is the first one playing, I'm gonna tweak that instrument next. I'm not gonna waste time and wait for the band, 'cause that's my favorite way to do it. Anything goes in a live situation. When the mix is balanced to my liking, I move to the room mics and get them dial in just right.

While I move from track to track, I isolate, balanced and get the mics sounding right to my ear. Once I've been through all the tracks, I go back and fine tune my adjustments.

The Last remote gig I did was with the UK band, "Clinic." They performed at the Roxy Ballroom in the Tremont Hotel, Boston, MA. I went through the mix process just like I mentioned above. During the soundcheck, whoever was on stage and playing first was tweaked next. I balanced, compressed and EQ'd the band inputs while they ran through there songs.

Usually, I base my mix around what they sound like on their CD's and recordings. I listen to their CD's and balance and effect their sound accordingly.
Old 23rd October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
well said my man ....

I was looking for the simple "I start with drums and bass", yet it looks like you've been watching the re-runs of macgiver again!

keep tellin it how it really is - and don't forget the funny parts....
Old 23rd October 2002
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I usually start with all channels open, then start balancing. I might at that point solo the kit and listen to what each mic is giving me, maybe drop out mics that are not adding something, then back to the whole mix and have another good listen. Start to fix problem area's with a little Eq if needed, then maybe add some effects if needed. All the time referencing to an overall mix possibly focusing in if needed. Balance will be gradually tweeked, and in the final I will make any automation moves I need for fixing. Last thing I do is to clean up the track noisey starts and things if they are a problem, this is on the proviso that they don't affect the sound of other channels. Most of all I try to spend my time listening, never get a bad mix that way!

Keep Rockin'

Roland
Old 23rd October 2002
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
The only time I start a mix with all channels up is when I didn't get a real soundcheck and I have no other choice but to start this way. I give you a lot of credit, dealing with the mix, with all faders on. I need to isolate and verify things first. Then all my faders are open and ready for action.

I agree, referencing the overall mix while gradually balancing the feeds is key, but I still need to hear things individually.

Indeed, spending time listening will never get you a bad mix!

So, we talked about how we start our mixes. We didn't talk about what we do in between soundcheck and show time....

He's what I did during a portable audio for video shoot a few weeks ago. (see picture below)
Attached Thumbnails
how do you usually start your live mix?-sleepingsteve0764.jpg  
Old 23rd October 2002
Founder

Catnap

heh
Old 23rd October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
is there a tasty photo of some young ladies stuck to the bottom of that table, or could you be resting the head?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…