Old 6th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➡️
No its perfect, see:

3 for the tree
2 for outriggers
1 for bass section spot! Or bass drum. Or mono solo piano spot?

I mean if you’ve got an extra $8k mic at the session, you’ll find a way to use it.
Yes, that must be the devious marketing strategy behind their release plan...I await with interest the special pricing deal on a matched 6-mic pack/ 3 power supply package

I'm guessing the uptake on the TF5 is modest, given its pricing premium over the NT5. It would be necessary to find a reviewer who's familiar with all the KM84 clones, the Schoeps and Sennheiser cardioid equivalents and other contenders to put the TF5 into a meaningful current marketplace perspective.

My point (for the TF5 digression) being that Rode could open up a whole new package style method of marketing and pricing with this crop of upcoming mics: you'd sign up for the Decca Tree Pack (plus TF5 spots), the Spaced Trio (plus TF5 spots), the Minimalist Pair Pack(no spots), the NTR-V Blumlein Pair Pack etc

Just as the Decca Tree was always thought of as a 'mic system', so you'd buy into a 'Rode TF Black Mic System' of your choosing, with some savings incentives for buying more spot mics to add to the Basic Pack.....and perhaps even a partnership discount deal with AEA for Tree mounting hardware, and Rycote suspensions for the TF5s

So, if you're a budding high-end freelancer or startup studio.....step right this way for your new Rode Orchestral Pack.....plus bonus extras

Not too dissimilar from buying into a brand loyalty deal with a car mfr, and receiving extra accessories and options at an 'apparent' discount price....

Or.....something like that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
It's been 1,558 days (4 years, 3 months, 7 days) since they uploaded this video:

https://vimeo.com/199946849
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfghdhr ➡️
It's been 1,558 days (4 years, 3 months, 7 days) since they uploaded this video:

https://vimeo.com/199946849
...and they've released probably a dozen new products since then, likely sold huge volumes of gear during the past COVID year too.

Those TFM mics probably wouldn't have sold in any comparable quantities. It's not as if similar alternatives don't exist:

https://vintageking.com/flea-microphones-50
https://mynewmicrophone.com/top-20-m...-today/#List11
http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Neumann/M-150

Last edited by studer58; 3 weeks ago at 04:02 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Sure, but I was more interested in that sweet tube ribbon mic. NTR-V.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rode seem to have reduced their commitment to tube designs, the last I can recall was the Rode Classic II, now discontinued, though they still retain the NTK and K2 in their catalogue.

I wonder if those who already like the NTR sound might not just pair it with a tube preamp, rather than start-over with the NTR-V ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think it's safe to say that they are vaporware at this point. They probably won't ever see the light of day.
Lives for gear

I do admire Peter for trying to get these into the Rode catalog, even if they don’t ever see store shelves. In a world of ever-cheaper “clones” more focused on fascia than function, by all accounts these seemed to truly be an attempt to give us something more than skin deep. Hopefully they will develop the TF5 capsule line to at least include an omni option.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
I wonder if those who already like the NTR sound might not just pair it with a tube preamp, rather than start-over with the NTR-V ?
Pairing a matched pair of NTRs with a Snow Petrel. I can only imagine how sweeeet that would sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Pairing a matched pair of NTRs with a Snow Petrel. I can only imagine how sweeeet that would sound.
I think Plush might have both of these devices, maybe he’ll chime in with a user report ?
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Well the Rode NTR ribbon already has an amplifier built into it, so it has its own sound.

Snow Petrel is for a traditional ribbon mic, specifically the Coles 4038.

All the vacuum tube goodness and custom transformers in the Snow Petrel are designed to amplify the 4038 with goldener tones.

A mic like the Rode would not benefit that much from the Snow Petrel since its sound is already "baked in" via its own active circuitry.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I must have missed the original announcement of these mics! Two things I will say...

1 - UK Rode stock has been very low since Covid was introduced to the world, so maybe that could be a bit of a rödeblock on some new product launches?

2 - They released the Wireless Go (in 2019?) which saw overwhelming success with content creators and the like, so much so that they've recently released a mkii already which is selling like hotcakes here in the UK. I would guess that they've prioritised their immediate efforts on selling large quantities of consumer level items such as the Go instead of pro level gear. I would venture a guess that the TF-5 haven't sold as well as they'd have hoped as well.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
Well the Rode NTR ribbon already has an amplifier built into it, so it has its own sound.

Snow Petrel is for a traditional ribbon mic, specifically the Coles 4038.

All the vacuum tube goodness and custom transformers in the Snow Petrel are designed to amplify the 4038 with goldener tones.

A mic like the Rode would not benefit that much from the Snow Petrel since its sound is already "baked in" via its own active circuitry.
That's a very good point. So YES to Snow Petrel when it comes to 4038 and R88, but probably NO when it comes to SF-24V, R88A and NTR. I wonder what your thoughts are regarding using it with SCHOEPS SDCs and even LDCs like C700S and AT5040...
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The engineer can get a MAJOR sound using the Thermionic Culture Snow Petrel with any mic. Schoeps sounds fantastic with it. However, remember that the Snow Petrel is a high gain mic amp.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
The engineer can get a MAJOR sound using the Thermionic Culture Snow Petrel with any mic. Schoeps sounds fantastic with it. However, remember that the Snow Petrel is a high gain mic amp.
So would it be fair to say that if one was already using Pueblo or Gordon Model 5 pres and most of one's mics were SDCs (SCHOEPS, Sanken CO-100K), they probably wouldn't need to obsess over getting the Snow Petrel as well? Especially if one didn't have access to 4038 that is. Is that a fair assessment? Thank you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So would it be fair to say that if one was already using Pueblo or Gordon Model 5 pres and most of one's mics were SDCs (SCHOEPS, Sanken CO-100K), they probably wouldn't need to obsess over getting the Snow Petrel as well? Especially if one didn't have access to 4038 that is. Is that a fair assessment? Thank you.
There might be mic impedance loading interactions which favour particular combinations of preamp and microphone, as well as factors like transformers in the preamp output stage (or not) which could predispose certain pairings to sound better....or just 'different' ?
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes, I think that is a good assessment. The Snow Petrel is first and foremost a mic preamp for the Coles 4038. It is designed for use with the Coles as its first purpose.

The Pueblo and Gordon are fantastic preamps. The best available in transformerless design.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yes, I think that is a good assessment. The Snow Petrel is first and foremost a mic preamp for the Coles 4038. It is designed for use with the Coles as its first purpose.

The Pueblo and Gordon are fantastic preamps. The best available in transformerless design.
Thank you Hudson.
📝 Reply