The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mic pre / eq for mobile PT Rig
Old 22nd October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
mic pre / eq for mobile PT Rig

Hope you gearslutz can give me some advice on this one :

I am doing a lot of work outside my studio and therefore build a mobile ProTools rig with 16 rackunits.
4 are taken from the rackmounted mac, 4 for the expansion chassis, 2 for an AD8000, 2 for a pair of distressor, 2 for an Avalon 747 and one for power distribution. So I am left with one more rackunit and have no mic pre in there yet.
In my studio I have a pair of Telefunken V76 and V676, which I don`t really wanna take on the road. So i was thinking about getting an Apogee Trak2, as it would give me additional PT outs.

What do you guys think ? Should I go for the Trak2, or get a "real" mic pre ( suggestions ) which should be a good combination to my V76 ?
I don`t need a lot of mic inputs, so a stereo pre is more than fine.
Most of the times I only need it for vocals.
Can you think of any great gear for a mobile rack ( lot of features without taking a lot of space ) ?
Any general suggestions ?

Hope this a little challenge for you as space is playing a major part of the decision.

thanks a lot
Old 22nd October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The best features for size box I know and use is the AMEK CIB. Two seperate signal paths at the same time each with it's own output level (MIC & Line) with the ability to select what feature is in each path. (two Filters, 4-band Eq, Compressor/Limiter) about $2k

A cheap, decent and useable all in box is the Meek VC1Qcs, for less than $500 you get a clean mic pre, comp, eq and exciter. Just used one this past weekend and it sure surprised me. Great sound at a great value.
Old 22nd October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What about a Cranesong Flamingo, Great River MP/NV or Buzz Audio dual.
All diff flavours to the V76 and one rack space.
Old 22nd October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
API 3124+ or the mixer one...

Seriously u will not be let down in any occasion! its kinda coloured but will work in 90% of siutations, conmes with 4 bitchin preamps and DI's... lotsa gain and detail!..

Check it!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 22nd October 2002
Founder

Some good answers, whats it to record generally?

Old 22nd October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
thanks for your replies so far.

Mostly I need it to track vocals. This would be Nr.1 task.
Nothing about the Trak2 so far - you wouldn`t recommend it ?

thanks
Old 23rd October 2002
member no 666

🎧 15 years
I'd 'second' the API 3124, but add the "MB+" mixer option... 4 mic pre's that can also function as a neat little 4x 2 "mixer"... damn impressive for a single RU.

If you add a Lucid 9624 A/D converter, you can "velcro" it into the rack on top of another piece of gear... they're light enough to withstand transit by the roughest cartage companies whilst held in place with industrial grade velcro...[that would solve your 2 channel A/D problem]
Old 23rd October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
As a transparent but not sterile alternative to the API I'd suggest lending an ear to the Earthworks 1024. Handy multiple outputs as well.
Old 23rd October 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I also like API 312 on vocals, but 9 times out of 10 I like my Grace 201 better... not many "features" except for the sound quality on voice...
Old 23rd October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Id second fletcher's suggestion of API 3124+..or+ M..the API seems 'friendlier' to analog ins of PT than those pres with greater transparency
πŸ“ Reply