Quantcast
Mic case for SDC's - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic case for SDC's
Old 13th October 2017
  #1
Gear Addict
 
THE_NIK's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Mic case for SDC's

Hey Im looking for a case to carry my SCD's i'm using universal cases that fit 58's etc horizontally. i don't like to put more than one mic per compartment.

i would like a case specifically for SDC's and have a tight fit.

At the moment i'm carrying loads small peli's around to every gig.
Old 13th October 2017
  #2
Gear Addict
 
THE_NIK's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
A skinny case that fits mics vertically would be nice. so i see the mic thats needed without searching through the case
Old 13th October 2017
  #3
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Several people have mentioned that cigar cases are excellent for this - eg: Peli have several options:

.
Attached Thumbnails
Mic case for SDC's-image.jpg  
Old 13th October 2017
  #4
Deleted 3cb98a6
Guest
I have this "rambo" machinegun bullit belt over my shoulders and i stick them all in there. Easy to reach.
Old 13th October 2017
  #5
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
I still use a multihole SM58-style mic case that has, as was said, holes much bigger than an SDC. But you can get small plastic Schoeps tubes from Redding that work quite well and protect mics when 2 or 3 of them are put into a single hole of the case--this has worked very well for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Mic case for SDC's-sch544.jpg  
Old 13th October 2017
  #6
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
The Pelican cases with the pick 'n pluck foam are hard to beat.

I have a Pelican 1170 and modded the foam per my needs. In this small case are 8 capsules and 6 mic pre bodies: 2 M582 mic pres and 4 MV691 mic pres (all modded by Andrea Grosser); 2 M70 capsules; 2 M94 capsules; 2 M93 capsules; and, 2 UM70 capsules (all capsules modded or checked out by Gefell or Thiersch).
Attached Thumbnails
Mic case for SDC's-dscf4010.jpg   Mic case for SDC's-dscf4011.jpg  
Old 13th October 2017
  #7
Gear Addict
 
THE_NIK's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The more I think about the more I need a bullet belt.
Old 13th October 2017
  #8
Gear Addict
 
THE_NIK's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I have small peli's already its just a pain carrying loads of small bits I would like a case that fits 10 or so small condensers. Easy to carry and easy to count
Old 13th October 2017
  #9
Gear Addict
 
THE_NIK's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
That's definitely what I'm going for swing maybe a little bigger
Old 13th October 2017
  #10
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
I stumbled across this modular toolbox system that I've been using for a while now. They can be clipped together for transport or storage which is rather nice. They feel bomb-proof. I use the larger ones for cables, clips, etc., and the smaller ones (which I've stuffed with foam) for mics. The cost is significantly less than the Pelican cases but I'm pretty comfortable hauling them around.
Attached Thumbnails
Mic case for SDC's-img_2547.jpg   Mic case for SDC's-img_2546.jpg   Mic case for SDC's-img_2545.jpg   Mic case for SDC's-img_2544.jpg   Mic case for SDC's-img_2543.jpg  

Mic case for SDC's-img_2542.jpg  
Old 13th October 2017 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_NIK ➑️
That's definitely what I'm going for swing maybe a little bigger
Maybe a Pelican 1200?
1200 Protector - Small Hard Case | Gun Cases | Pelican Professional

Before I bought the 1170 I sketched on paper the dimensions of a few Pelican cases and ended up with the 1170 which is about as efficient as I could have hoped for to safely carry 6 mic pre bodies and 8 capsules including 2 LDCs.

Nonetheless, I might try to modify the foam to also carry one spare tube for the M582 bodies.
Old 13th October 2017
  #12
Old 14th October 2017
  #13
Deleted 141eef3
Guest
A while back Mark Donahue recommended using a Pelican laptop case for this purpose -- I took his advice and couldn't be happier. They make a few models: 1075, 1095 etc.

For small diaphragm microphones like Schoeps, Neumann KM series, DPA, etc. this is an excellent solution. Each case can easily fit 6-8 mics minimum depending on how much padding/spacing between them you desire and so forth. They are not much thicker than a laptop when closed.

I have not tried putting somewhat thicker mics with a larger windscreen like an SM58 into these -- not sure it would so ideal in that case. Definitely worth considering for the above, though!
Old 14th October 2017
  #14
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
All mics need shock mounts!
Larger Pelis are sensible and cheap when used.
Roger
Old 15th October 2017
  #15
Lives for gear
 
RobAnderson's Avatar
 
15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The Eurolite Mic1 case is great if you can find it.
Old 15th October 2017
  #16
Gear Addict
 
THE_NIK's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Great thanks I found afew places online that mould custom inserts so I think I'll get a peli laptop case.
Old 15th October 2017
  #17
Lives for gear
 
mpdonahue's Avatar
Check out this post for pictures of how we carry microphones...

https://gearspace.com/board/11009902-post31.html

All the best,
-mark
Old 16th October 2017 | Show parent
  #18
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_NIK ➑️
I have small peli's already its just a pain carrying loads of small bits I would like a case that fits 10 or so small condensers. Easy to carry and easy to count
A Pelican Laptop case with foam inserts from cigar solutions. Total price is about 45.00

Old 16th October 2017 | Show parent
  #19
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue ➑️
Check out this post for pictures of how we carry microphones...

https://gearspace.com/board/11009902-post31.html

All the best,
-mark
arrr !
Old 16th October 2017 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
mpdonahue's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➑️
arrr !
John, Why don't you explain to me the err of my ways....
We've been carrying all our microphones in these cases for well over two decades without issue. The 1075 with the correct foam bits holds the microphones so they are locked in place and do not move at all. I can't say that about the original Schoeps and Neumann boxes where the mics slid around and we ended up with dented grills on our Schoeps and KM-8x microphones. I have larger pistol cases for the LDC microphones, but anything smaller than an MKH 800 fits in these cases.
I regularly carry-on to airplanes 48 or more SDC microphones with clips/suspensions in my backpack. We never ship or check microphones and often we are meeting a different kit of gear on very tight turn around. Normally we carry the clips in a separate bag accompanying the case, but I only had 24 mics on that job so there was extra room to fill. I can fit 22 x Schoeps, 28 x KM100 or 16 DPA midrophones in each of these cases and I can carry four of them in my backpack, with clips.
All the best,
-mark
Old 16th October 2017 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue ➑️
John, Why don't you explain to me the err of my ways....
We've been carrying all our microphones in these cases for well over two decades without issue. The 1075 with the correct foam bits holds the microphones so they are locked in place and do not move at all. I can't say that about the original Schoeps and Neumann boxes where the mics slid around and we ended up with dented grills on our Schoeps and KM-8x microphones. I have larger pistol cases for the LDC microphones, but anything smaller than an MKH 800 fits in these cases.
I regularly carry-on to airplanes 48 or more SDC microphones with clips/suspensions in my backpack. We never ship or check microphones and often we are meeting a different kit of gear on very tight turn around. Normally we carry the clips in a separate bag accompanying the case, but I only had 24 mics on that job so there was extra room to fill. I can fit 22 x Schoeps, 28 x KM100 or 16 DPA midrophones in each of these cases and I can carry four of them in my backpack, with clips.
All the best,
-mark
It was just that all the microphones were touching each other and movement in transit would cause scratching.

My own mics I carry in flight cases with individually custom cut-outs.
Old 17th October 2017 | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
mpdonahue's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➑️
It was just that all the microphones were touching each other and movement in transit would cause scratching.

My own mics I carry in flight cases with individually custom cut-outs.
I can dispel your worries. The mics are held in place and do not move at all. We have over 250 SDC microphones and pack them depending on the job, so it is not practical for us to have individual cutouts. Also, a typical job for us is 32 inputs, which would double the number of cases to carry if we used individual cutouts.
To be honest, putting the mics in and out of the clips is the major source of wear to the finish. Schoeps A20 are the worst in that regard. Just handling Nextel finish microphones causes them to collect hand oil and muck. FYI, Some of the microphones in the picture from the other thread are 30 years old and still look fine.
All the best,
-mark
Old 17th October 2017 | Show parent
  #23
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue ➑️
I can dispel your worries. The mics are held in place and do not move at all. We have over 250 SDC microphones and pack them depending on the job, so it is not practical for us to have individual cutouts. Also, a typical job for us is 32 inputs, which would double the number of cases to carry if we used individual cutouts.
To be honest, putting the mics in and out of the clips is the major source of wear to the finish. Schoeps A20 are the worst in that regard. Just handling Nextel finish microphones causes them to collect hand oil and muck. FYI, Some of the microphones in the picture from the other thread are 30 years old and still look fine.
All the best,
-mark
That’s good, looking at the pictures I thought they would all scratch.

And the good news is that modern Nextel is a lot tougher than it used to be.
Old 19th October 2017
  #24
Lives for gear
 
rumleymusic's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I keep mine in Pelican cases as well. Here is one of my cases with a mixture of mics, including some LDC's. The deeper, larger cases have enough room for general accessories. The omni balls for the Josephson mics are below the mics in the bottom layer for example They also let you order custom foam cutouts for their cases if you want to design an exact cutout pattern. I don't own 250 sdc's, so this works for me and I can give it padding.
Attached Thumbnails
Mic case for SDC's-case-pic.jpg  
Old 19th October 2017
  #25
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
I have heard in the past that cases that close air tight such as the pelicans or the cigar humidors are (eventually) bad for your microphones. Any thoughts?

Regards, Christine
Old 19th October 2017
  #26
Gear Addict
 
THE_NIK's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
That's nice Daniel
Old 19th July 2018
  #27
Gear Maniac
 
elpillo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Based on the comments on this side of the forum I just got a Pelican 1075 case that fits 12 sdc and I could easily add another pair. I've shaken the case a bit and they don't move at all. So far so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Mic case for SDC's-pelican-case-scd-.jpg  
Old 19th July 2018 | Show parent
  #28
Lives for gear
 
mpdonahue's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpillo ➑️
Based on the comments on this side of the forum I just got a Pelican 1075 case that fits 12 sdc and I could easily add another pair. I've shaken the case a bit and they don't move at all. So far so good.
If it were me, I'd order another set of foams for the case and replace the bottom pick and pluck with the same foam as the top. If it's the same stuff that came with our cases, it is a little too rigid and too thick.
All the best,
-mark
Old 19th July 2018 | Show parent
  #29
Gear Maniac
 
elpillo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue ➑️
If it were me, I'd order another set of foams for the case and replace the bottom pick and pluck with the same foam as the top. If it's the same stuff that came with our cases, it is a little too rigid and too thick.
All the best,
-mark
Totally agree with you, Mark. It works as it is, but it is indeed a bit too stiff for the mics. Thanks for your suggestion!
Old 20th July 2018 | Show parent
  #30
Deleted 141eef3
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic ➑️
I keep mine in Pelican cases as well. Here is one of my cases with a mixture of mics, including some LDC's. The deeper, larger cases have enough room for general accessories. The omni balls for the Josephson mics are below the mics in the bottom layer for example They also let you order custom foam cutouts for their cases if you want to design an exact cutout pattern. I don't own 250 sdc's, so this works for me and I can give it padding.
Hi Daniel, when you have a moment, could you please share which model # Pelican case this is?

I have hitherto used the above-mentioned Pelican 1075 laptop case solution for my SDC's but I picked up my first pair of LDC's recently and I'm now considering a similar all-in-one option to yours.

Thanks!
Luke
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5975 views: 1919777
Avatar for thismercifulfate
thismercifulfate 1 week ago
replies: 12 views: 8930
Avatar for andychamp
andychamp 29th June 2010
replies: 1191 views: 277437
Avatar for s wave
s wave 4 days ago
replies: 53 views: 56001
Avatar for Jimbo99
Jimbo99 13th April 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump