Phase and tracking a live band - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Phase and tracking a live band
Old 12th October 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Question Phase and tracking a live band

To anyone who has a good idea.
I rember seeing the Metalica movie where Hatfield is overdubing a track with out headphones and with two speakers on stands in front of his face. They switched the wires on one of the speakers to turn phase around thus (if I'm right here) keeping the mic from passing the sound comming from them. Here is my question, if I where to track a band on a live gig and was going to do some overdubbing later should I ask the PA guys to switch the drum fill's wires to keep the drum mic's from getting bleed from it's loud speakers?

Thanks much
Raymond ward
A.S. Recording Arts
Old 12th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think not... for two reasons..

1) the Metallica vocal thingy ( the auratones..) relies on exact mic placement to work, with one mic. (I am not sure that they are out of phase, as much as they are in the null point of the mic's polar pattern ?)

2) It will sound really bad for the drummer to have two out of phase monitors, and the sound co will likely say no way.. Have you thought about having the drummer wear headphones? This works great as far as isolation, and many drummers really like it as the clarity is generally way better than a pair of wedges... you could still have the monitor engineer give the drummer a wedge with just bas and kick in it is they really miss the "feeling"
Old 12th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
I think not... for two reasons..

1) the Metallica vocal thingy ( the auratones..) relies on exact mic placement to work, with one mic. (I am not sure that they are out of phase, as much as they are in the null point of the mic's polar pattern ?)
I think that the polarity is flipped on one of the auratones, and as you mentioned the mic placement is crucial. I guess you need to get the mic to only hear the null between the two inverted speakers.

See ya
Old 12th October 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Steve and Sean,
Thanks for the input, I didn't think that a sound company would be very up on this idea. The headphone trick may be the best way out of bleed, what about narrow thow speakers (like nearfields) mabye some hot spots? Any one ever tryed to use something like a nearfield or hot spots for a drum fill when recording?

Thanks
Raymond Ward
A.S. Recording Arts
Old 12th October 2002
Founder

"I think that the polarity is flipped on one of the auratones"

We do vocals in the CR and track a 'non singing' track - feeding that in with the phase flipped helps quite a bit we find.

Naturally, vocal type compressor action on the spill isn't re-created with this method.
Old 14th October 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Jules wrote

Naturally, vocal type compressor action on the spill isn't re-created with this method.

I'm trying to understand here (sorry I'm still a sort-a newbe here), are you saying that you will track a strate up recording with this set up? No comps or anything?

Respectfuly
Raymond Ward
A.S. Recording Artrs
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…