Quantcast
APB Pro-Spec 1U8M: any users? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
APB Pro-Spec 1U8M: any users?
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
APB Pro-Spec 1U8M: any users?

I was looking for a high quality 1 RU 8 channel pre+mixer and ran across this, from the APB company (former A+H and Crest guys): Pro-Spec 1U8M. I found a good deal of discussion of their larger consoles on GS etc, but nothing about these smaller rack units. They are cheaper (and way less featurefull) than the JDK 1 RU pre+mixers while still retaining the features I need (pre+insert+mix).
I would like to hear from anyone who has used one of these. People seemed to like APB's larger consoles, but I can't find any mention of these rack-mixers.

ProSpec Consoles - APB-Dynasonics.com
Old 9th June 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have one of the APB Prospec 1U8Ms installed in our theatre. It basically runs my FOH, lobby announce, and backstage page and program mixes. It is very good, rock solid, and easy to use. I would recommend it.
Old 9th June 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler ➑️
I have one of the APB Prospec 1U8Ms installed in our theatre. It basically runs my FOH, lobby announce, and backstage page and program mixes. It is very good, rock solid, and easy to use. I would recommend it.
Thanks. I exchanged some emails with Charles A. from Dynasonic (the "A" in APB), and he did his best to talk me out of buying his mixer. He failed. To some people having a device be mostly used in the "contractor" market might seem a diss, to me it means that people who are very concerned about the box working right 100% of the time and know quality when they see (and hear) it like it. Works for me.
Old 10th June 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The APB guys are very humble, almost to a fault. But their gear is rock solid, well engineered, well built, and top notch and priced fair.

If they would only design and build a digital console, they would knock it out of the park.
Old 10th June 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The APB guys are very humble, almost to a fault. But their gear is rock solid, well engineered, well built, and top notch and priced fair.

If they would only design and build a digital console, they would knock it out of the park.
They seem to be pretty much analog guys. When I researched them I found a lot of people liked their full-up consoles back around 2008 or so, but since then the mania for digital+iPhone-controllable everything has come in and taken over almost the whole market. At the moment the APB guys seem content in their small obscure niche, going digital (which includes i-device control anymore) would be a pretty huge learning curve for them. There are still applications where digital mixers are not the right choice, so I'm glad APB is still around.
Old 11th June 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper ➑️
They seem to be pretty much analog guys. When I researched them I found a lot of people liked their full-up consoles back around 2008 or so, but since then the mania for digital+iPhone-controllable everything has come in and taken over almost the whole market. At the moment the APB guys seem content in their small obscure niche, going digital (which includes i-device control anymore) would be a pretty huge learning curve for them. There are still applications where digital mixers are not the right choice, so I'm glad APB is still around.
I have it on good authority that APB did, at one time, 8 or 9 years ago, have a mockup and engineering design specs for a digital console built and ready to go.

Then the economy crashed and the investor that was going to help fund the project pulled out.
Old 11th June 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have it on good authority that APB did, at one time, 8 or 9 years ago, have a mockup and engineering design specs for a digital console built and ready to go.

Then the economy crashed and the investor that was going to help fund the project pulled out.
Too bad, I bet it was a great board. Maybe they'll dust that design off and give it a shot now? As for the 1 RU mixers, there is a lot of competition from simpler boxes in the $200 range, but they seem pretty junky and don't do a whole lot mostly. The APBs are pretty unique in that regard, good pres, lots of useful features (for me, esp the insert points), but not Cranesong etc $$.
Old 28th May 2021
Gear Addict

Old thread but I just got one used for about 800 bucks. Works great. Tested the pres ...sound solid. I'm going to use this to record drums and do some summing. Insert points really make this thing dope. The LCR aspect is cool too. Really brings a vocal in front sort of speak.
Not a big fan of it not having a power switch on the front. But other than that. Solid.
Old 28th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have made a great many recordings, many of them released as commercial albums, with a rack that contains 3 of these with their solo, sum and mix busses connected (this feature is designed in), feeding a JoeCo recorder off the inserts. It's been a great sounding, super reliable, fast to use and very compact 28 channel rig (24 APB>JoeCo + an SD 744 as clock and TC master, and where the 2 mix + gets recorded). APB has a bunch of new mixers coming out, with a bunch of really innovative features I haven't seen on small rack mixers before.
Old 28th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper ➑️
APB has a bunch of new mixers coming out, with a bunch of really innovative features I haven't seen on small rack mixers before.
That's great to hear. APB has been shut down for a number of years now and it didn't look like they would be able to come back after John Petrucelli passed away. Good to hear that they have restarted. They always made very high quality and reasonably prices products.
Old 28th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That's great to hear. APB has been shut down for a number of years now and it didn't look like they would be able to come back after John Petrucelli passed away. Good to hear that they have restarted. They always made very high quality and reasonably prices products.
They never really shut down--I have been in touch with Chuck A the whole time and they were still doing service and getting out their current products. The company was sold to a new owner, who seems interested in building on their technology and rep with some new products that thread the install-sound thing in a pretty interesting way. I had a chance to get one of their older large-format consoles for next to nothing a while back, and agonized over how I could store, use, transport and service the thing, since I loved the sound of it and there won't be any more of those made. I was sad at having to pass on it. Stand by for new stuff from APB.
Old 30th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mequaz ➑️
Old thread but I just got one used for about 800 bucks. Works great. Tested the pres ...sound solid. I'm going to use this to record drums and do some summing. Insert points really make this thing dope. The LCR aspect is cool too. Really brings a vocal in front sort of speak.
Not a big fan of it not having a power switch on the front. But other than that. Solid.
I've now accumulated two of those APB installation mixers, a 1U and a 2U. The 2U is in a coffeehouse rack, waiting for live music to restart post-COVID. (Picture here.) The 1U has been integrated into my on-stage cello rack, where I'm using it to generate my FOH send and my local in-ear mix. Here's a picture:

APB Pro-Spec 1U8M: any users?-img_2736.jpg

If you're wondering about the other rack gear, the stuff in 500 series channel strip is for my Fishman pickup pizzicato channel and the AEA ribbon preamp and old LXP-1 reverb are for my arco channel.

I use the LR bus for FOH, and the C bus for in-ears or vice versa, depending on the gig. I wish the bus assignments weren't mutually exclusive but I understand why they did it, given the intended use in church systems. I've gotten around it by using a combination of Y cables and the insert jacks.

David
Attached Thumbnails
APB Pro-Spec 1U8M: any users?-img_2736.jpg  
Old 11th August 2021
Gear Addict

Also a very under rated aspect of this is the preamps. I'm not saying it's a 1073.... I've got that covered... but they def ain't bad.
Attached Thumbnails
APB Pro-Spec 1U8M: any users?-20210805_171340.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I'm using my prospec 8 as a preamp and summing mixer. The quality of these preamps has really surprised me. It a very clean solid sound. Hpf and polarity switches. Better than preamps on a interface I would Def say that. I use a motu monitor 8 as my main interface. It's monitoring capabilities are amazing. Not sure if I use it is the best of its capabilities but for me the interface and the propsex basically give me a mini console type vibe. Controlling the ins and outs with knobs. Even using the knobs of the motu to send the summing mixer feels ...real. I digress. The center bus is interesting. The summing is clean. But that's what all my other gear is for. I got mine used for about 800 dollars. In a 1 ru I can only think of 1 other preamp/summing mixer. It's Def an awesome concept. I get it's a "live" board but in a studio it's great as well.
Attached Thumbnails
APB Pro-Spec 1U8M: any users?-20210830_190100.jpg  

Last edited by mequaz; 2 weeks ago at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I gotta say they have been great for me. The pres have a lot of headroom, and I have recorded a lot of unpredictable no-sound-check live improv close-miced music with them and they have done very well. It's a limited rig but that isn't a terrible thing for a live capture--less to go wrong. I've done more mixing on the rig than I'd ever intended, ref mixes mostly, that worked well. The company seems to be going deeper in the direction of very full featured installed/contractor type mixers, their forte, but that don't have a lot of application in music recording. I sure wish they had tried to make a digital music console, but understand why they didn't even if they could have!
Attached Thumbnails
APB Pro-Spec 1U8M: any users?-img_3986.jpg  

Last edited by philper; 2 weeks ago at 06:31 AM..
πŸ“ Reply