The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What are some of your favorite live recordings and/or Broadcasts?
Old 8th April 2009 | Show parent
LX3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav ➡️
But... my favorite all-time is the Sheffield Lab "Direct-to-Disk" project "I've Got the Music in Me"... while not "live" as in, a hall and an audience... once the master started turning, Thelma Houston,18 musicians, and six BGVs consumed 32 inputs live-mixed (no edits, no compression) in stereo to the amp driving the lathe, and, after a day of rehearsal and two days recording, the record was well and truly "cut." Amazing band, amazing engineering (Bill Schnee)... an amazing record. And, yes, I have the one I played, and the last one in the store... unopened.
Likewise, that's the album that started my fascination with recording live.

(Although I haven't heard it in years. Time to fire up the turntable heh).
Old 9th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
my first fav live was brubeck at the 57 newport jazz festival, JJ johnson and Kai Winding
doing true blue trombonium.
The MC5, Kick out the Jams, halloween 1968,
it is righteous, and that was their sound, well capture.

a band I did sound opened for james gang when Glen Schwartz played with them.

and the Sheffield Labs King James Version is my inspiration for recording.
Old 10th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
its alive by the ramones.

best ramones album, amazing sound.
Old 25th August 2019
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
What are some of your favorite live recordings and/or Broadcasts today?
Old 25th August 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was just watching: Elvis Presley - An American Trilogy (Aloha From Hawaii, Live in Honolulu, 1973)
"First ever concert to be beamed live around the world via satellite."
"Biggest ever global TV audience of 1.5 billion." (Well before streaming in the internet.)
"Most watched concert by a single entertainer, ever."

Just in this clip, it looks like Elvis is using an Electrovoice RE-15 with a foam pop-filter.
and EV RE-20 mics on J.D. Sumner & the Stamps Quartet. And I see a Sony C-37A on the flute.

Weird, indirect-sounding mix. Too much room tone for my taste. Wikipedia says:
"Initially released only in quadraphonic sound, the album was the first quadraphonic album to top the Billboard album chart, and remains the biggest-selling release in the format.[citation needed]"

https://youtu.be/0FT3SmZ_zx0
Old 25th August 2019
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Zappa In New York, and Roxy and Elsewhere.

I was a production assistant way back when for "A Prairie Home Companion", and those shows always came across pretty well.

Mark Knopfler's Tracker Live set is a more recent favorite.
Old 25th August 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➡️
What are some of your favorite live recordings and/or Broadcasts today?
I think Harvey Goldberg is consistently really good on Colbert, as he was on Letterman before that.

As for older stuff, I think Merle Haggard Live in Muskogee is pretty great. Fender Twins up loud, Hag at his vocal best. You might not be down with his politics, and there's some dumb filler, but the sound and energy are soooo much better than the studio versions of the same songs.
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I must agree, Harvey Goldberg is on top of his game at "Colbert" as he was on "Letterman."

He's also a terrific individual on a few levels.

I am thankful for my friendship with him, especially since he recommended that record Jon Batiste's Village Vanguard residency last winter.

IMHO, it's one of The best live music performance captures I ever did. Plenty of isolation and "good" leakage even though we had anywhere from nine to twelve musicians on that tiny stage. The vinyl album and CD, 'Anatomy of Angels' dropped on August 2nd, 2019. I understand volume two drops in October.

It was such a joy listening to Jon Batiste & Friends during sound check/rehearsal.

Here's a couple shots of the quick rehearsal before doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
I think Harvey Goldberg is consistently really good on Colbert, as he was on Letterman before that.
Attached Thumbnails
What are some of your favorite live recordings and/or Broadcasts?-05-quick-rehearsal-before-doors.jpg   What are some of your favorite live recordings and/or Broadcasts?-05-its-such-joy-listening-jon-batiste-friends-during-sound-check-rehearsal.jpg  
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
:-).
Old 25th August 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Still "Stop Making Sense" this many years later.

D.
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Nashville based ‘The Time Jumpers’ Jumpin’ Time. Shot for DVD at the Station Inn there’s also a 2 CD set of the audio. The late Papa John Hughes on Pedal steel, the late Dawn Sears one of the vocalists (check out Mickey Newberry’s ‘Sweet Memories’), this 2006 recording has some of the most remarkable musicianship you could ever ask for. Western Swing/CowboyJazz at is best.

And from 1956, the Dave Brubeck Quartet ‘Jazz Goes To College.’ It sounds like 2 mics at most, maybe ribbons and mono only.
Not high fidelity but Brubeck and Desmond put on an improvisational tour-de-force.

Someone very early on in the thread mentioned ‘Don Ellis Live At The Fillmore.’ That was my personal favorite during college in the early ‘70s. Gotta find another vinyl copy of that, too weird to make it to CD I guess
Old 26th August 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Tedeschi Trucks Band at the NPR Tiny Desk...as much for overcoming the balance issues of squeezing a large band into a small space, and still having it sound great and convey the intentions of the writers/musicians ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRipadkd6wk
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Tedeschi Trucks Band at the NPR Tiny Desk...
You can't mention Tiny Desk and leave out Jam in the Van.
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So many great ones mentioned here. I’ll take a slightly different direction- the favorite I’ve worked where a big show turned out really well in what was seen by the outside world was the League of Legends Live Music show from the water cube in Beijing, China.

I was at FOH, but the broadcast mixer was a good friend and colleague. Only problem was one we couldn’t get around- a very polite crowd that really didn’t clap loudly or for a long time. Only so much audience mics can do when your crowd isn’t giving you material.

Was a fun show, though... 200 inputs or so (maxed out an SD7), 20+ cameras, 60+ orchestra, 2 choirs, vocal soloists, 4 (?) DJs, and a metal band. Stage was roughly 250’ wide, had high def screens across the whole back for an immersive video experience...

-Ben
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You can't mention Tiny Desk and leave out Jam in the Van.
True!

While you're at it, check out this Jam in the (truck) van...

Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
True!

While you're at it, check out this Jam in the (truck) van...
Nice truck! There's a "control room" in there as well? The camera angles make it look more spacious than it must actually be.
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
And what makes them your favorites? Was it the sound, the feel, or how they captured it? Maybe all of the above? Tell us your thoughts.

Back when I was a kid, one of my favorite live albums was the J. Giles Band - Full House. I loved that record, because it captured them perfectly. Even down to the set list order. It sounded and tracked exactly like their live show!

How about you? What are your picks?
Thanks for reviving this thread!

I have lot's of favorite live recordings, some classic, but my hands down favorite will always be The Drongos "Small Miracles" recorded off the sidewalk around Thompkins Square park (don't have the vinyl handy to see who did the remote.) Maybe because I was a street performer during that time, maybe because I was slumming off and on (in and out) down on E. 3rd St. and Thompkins was a regular haunt, but for sure because it's a great collection of songs delivered with conviction and passion by a band that should have gotten a bigger shake.
Old 27th August 2019 | Show parent
Deleted 141eef3
Bill Evans: Waltz for Debby, recorded live at the Village Vanguard, 1961.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➡️
Stones' Get Your Ya Ya's Out.

My mentor tape-oped on the mix sessions, he said all the adlibs were 'flown in' from countless 1/4 inch machines they had around the control room (like 7 or more)

"Tuning up" moments
crowd screams - "paint it black you devils!"
In between song 'banter' - "Charlie's good tonight!"

Were all cherry picked from the 2 or 3 nights at Madison Square Gardens that were recorded, then stiched between numbers as the mix crew wanted.

I know all those crowd screams, tune ups & in between talking off by heart!

It was well put together IMHO.

I wonder what console in what mobile truck was used?
Oh great and honorable admin, it's, "Charlie's good tonight isn't he?"
Old 27th August 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I also have to go with Get yer ya yas out as I learned to play lead guitar off that album at age 11.

But the best one of all time goes to Mr. Peter Frampton.

And All the worlds a stage - Whoo yea!
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Thanks for sharing your story with us.

I believe John Holbrook recorded that live performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford ➡️
Thanks for reviving this thread!

I have lot's of favorite live recordings, some classic, but my hands down favorite will always be The Drongos "Small Miracles" recorded off the sidewalk around Thompkins Square park (don't have the vinyl handy to see who did the remote.) Maybe because I was a street performer during that time, maybe because I was slumming off and on (in and out) down on E. 3rd St. and Thompkins was a regular haunt, but for sure because it's a great collection of songs delivered with conviction and passion by a band that should have gotten a bigger shake.
Old 30th August 2019
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Thanks!

For this particular project, Elroy became the studio space and 'The Bread Mobile' was the "control room." We have done other live recordings where we created a second space for a small control room. All my vehicles can be changed out to handle all sorts of production ventures.

Well, in reference to your assumption on the size of the space, it all depends on what you think spacious is. The truck body is 27 feet long and nearly 8 feet wide of which 22 feet of that body fully expands to almost 14 feet wide. There's a thread discussion about this video on this forum. All sorts of details were discovered.

Quote:
Nice truck! There's a "control room" in there as well? The camera angles make it look more spacious than it must actually be.
Old 30th August 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Every track is a banger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Still "Stop Making Sense" this many years later.

D.
Old 1st September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV676 ➡️
And from 1956, the Dave Brubeck Quartet ‘Jazz Goes To College.’ It sounds like 2 mics at most, maybe ribbons and mono only.
I recall Dave Brubeck visiting Melbourne University in the early '60s for a lunchtime talk in the Public Lecture Theatre, and he was asked about recordings made live at a gig.

His response was on the line: "You used to be able to roll up with an Ampex 350 and a 77DX and get a pretty good result. Now with stereo it's not that easy ..."

Probably plagued by the record company's stereo equivalent of the ubiquitous "Technicolor Consultant".
Old 1st September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by panatrope ➡️
I recall Dave Brubeck visiting Melbourne University in the early '60s for a lunchtime talk in the Public Lecture Theatre, and he was asked about recordings made live at a gig.

His response was on the line: "You used to be able to roll up with an Ampex 350 and a 77DX and get a pretty good result. Now with stereo it's not that easy ..."

Probably plagued by the record company's stereo equivalent of the ubiquitous "Technicolor Consultant".
Or equally irksome would have been the "you gotta use spot mics" consultant...when everyone was perfectly happy with intelligently placed 'area miking', as was originally done for orchestral radio broadcasts with a single mic throughout the 40's and 50's (before mixers were invented).

Every technical advance can have drawbacks.
Old 1st September 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My favourite live recordings are old. So i guess it has a bit to do with performance, instrument sound and arrangement, not so much with technology

Live Jazz albums from the sixties are generally fantastic.
And I still listen to Suck on this by Primus (8 track recording, tascam portastudio, mixed to hifi VHS according to wikipedia?!)
and Level 42 , a physical presence, 1985 (I have no information about that recording at all)

(Oh, and that Hey Guy recording/mix by Steve Remote is in my collection as well.. ripped from Youtube, can you send me a WAV Steve? )

Huub
Old 2nd September 2019 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Ah yes, I remember you mentioning that you grabbed that video clip.
I will do my best to look for the .wav file for you.

In the meantime, here's another link to that video...

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub ➡️
My favourite live recordings are old. So i guess it has a bit to do with performance, instrument sound and arrangement, not so much with technology

Live Jazz albums from the sixties are generally fantastic.
And I still listen to Suck on this by Primus (8 track recording, tascam portastudio, mixed to hifi VHS according to wikipedia?!)
and Level 42 , a physical presence, 1985 (I have no information about that recording at all)

(Oh, and that Hey Guy recording/mix by Steve Remote is in my collection as well.. ripped from Youtube, can you send me a WAV Steve? )

Huub
Lives for gear

88 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Two live televised recordings that inspired me are both from the Later with Jools show on British TV: Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation Takamba, and The Civil Wars Barton Hollow:

I think the studio and crew have moved now but the show's output was impressive.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by huub ➡️
My favourite live recordings are old. So i guess it has a bit to do with performance, instrument sound and arrangement, not so much with technology : Live Jazz albums from the sixties are generally fantastic.
Very high up in my rotation is: Ramsey Lewis Trio "The In Crowd" a 1965 live recording at the Bohemian Caverns in Washington, D.C.

Eldee Young on the bass and cello was amazing. Flamenco cello even.
Old 2nd September 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The Rolling Stones: "Got Live if you want it" 1966

I recorded Cheetah Chrome from The Dead Boys back in....'09 or something, and we got to talking about this record. He told me that all the original New York Punk bands lived and breathed this record. Johnny Thunders and The New York Dolls, The Ramones, Blondie, The Dead Boys, The Dictators, Richard Hell and the Voidoids ect ect. He told me this record was THE blueprint for American Punk...I was just tickled to find someone else who loved this record as much as I did.
📝 Reply