Quantcast
did the boring part now what toys you suggest ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
did the boring part now what toys you suggest ?
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
did the boring part now what toys you suggest ?

Okay I have finally acoustically treated rooms the way I like (recording/preproduction room 75% dead, and mix room 1/2 live 1/2 dead) now im looking for a set of monitors for the beatmaking and a set of mix monitors. Also, a good preamp for my new tlm 102.

Any suggestions?

Total budget 1200 us dollars
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Within budget - Mixing and production monitors, you cant go wrong with KRK's. If your going below the 8s to stay in budget you will probably need a Sub eventually. I mix on NS10s and Auratones. You can find these used in around the $400 mark.. As for a pre amp, the only one I know personally worth recommending under $1200 is the Blue Robbie. Thats not to say there isnt other options out there. I don't know anything about the 102 to give you a better suited recommendation..

There was a point when I was in college when I just had Krk Rockit 6s to mix and produce on, they were fine for the most part and translated quite brilliantly in most environments.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Blue Robbie is good.
I would also throw out the RC500 from presonus. It's the single channel version of their ADL600 which is a great pre.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Maybe KH120. Not sure how big the room is. What preamp are you already using? Assuming its decent enough I would probably spend this budget on monitors and switch preamps next time.
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drethe5th ➑️
Blue Robbie is good.
I would also throw out the RC500 from presonus. It's the single channel version of their ADL600 which is a great pre.
i second the blue robbie... get it used $400... get some white cone yamahas used or the jbl lrs308s... u will b set
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Addict

Event 20/20s
Awesome frequency range, front ported, cheap, solid as

$600 brand new at the DJ store near mine, check out the stores near you

Edit: but the main reason to use events: J Dilla used them. Hahaha
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Im using a m audio dmp3 preamp

Last edited by chicitybeats; 4th March 2014 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: mispelled word
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would spend all that on monitors right now, upgrade your preamp later.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
If you just making beats and monitor will do.

You you want to mix that's a different story.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
somebody give me some info on the blue robbie I almost bought one a few years back it was between the daking micpre one, blue robbie and 610 solo. How I am curious to the sound of this preamp.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
2 setups one for making beats and one for recording and mixing, I spend equal time on both trades
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
+ 1 on the Presonus RC500. I just picked one up and it's pretty freakin' sweet for the price man!
Old 19th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Do you think the rc500 would match up well with a tlm 102 and rode ntk?
(Looking for modern rap, r&b vocals)
Old 19th April 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
This album I'm getting ready to drop funny enough, between me and the artist. I used JBL 305s no sub, he used a TLM102 and a Blue Robbie. So yeah dude I know Robbie will set you back but it makes your vocals so much richer and fuller sounding imo. It's easier to mix as well!
Old 20th April 2014
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've only had the RC500 for a couple of days. I've tested in on a mic'd guitar cab (e-609>RC500>Mytek A/D>Roland VS700 via AES>DAW. Very nice man! the eq can make worlds of difference! The compressor with about 6dB of gain reduction on the peaks is sweet- not very noticeable at all! The pre-amp is virtually noiseless! I also plugged a Takamine TAN15 with a cool-tube preamp into the instrument input. VERY nice! I'm comparing this channel strip to an A-Designs Pacifica, LA610, Presonus MP20 (a waaaay under-rated mic pre) and the pre's on the Roland VS700. It's hanging with everything so far! I haven't yet tested it on vocals but I'm expecting some very good results. I really think for the price it's gonna be a major hit.
Old 20th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree ➑️
I would spend all that on monitors right now, upgrade your preamp later.
Spend it all on monitors
Like 3rd said
πŸ“ Reply