Stereo Image plugin on samples - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stereo Image plugin on samples
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Stereo Image plugin on samples

Hi Everyone
Is it a good idea to use Stereo Image plugin like (Ozone) on melodic loops to clean the middle and create more room for drums, to get drums inside the mix.
Im talking about some old record loops where is a lot of instruments and some vocal parts.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yes. It's not for every sample but it is a good tool. Don't over do it cos there will be artifacts.
Old 27th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I use Waves Center and Brainworx bx_digital V2 to clean center if needed
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cosign on using Waves Center to pull a bit of that middle out of a sample. I have to try Brainworks!
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I did try with Center and brainworx, I got best results using ozone image. I use 3 bands and I expand little bit middle one.
Old 28th February 2014
Voxengo's M/S plugin is free and does the job nicely. BUT, it's not a stereo widener, so we need to be clear about whether we're attenuating the centre channel (mid), or the sides, or going for stereo widening.
Stereo widening is a different issue and as long as you don't collapse the stereo field you'll be fine. But we never use it for scooping.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use a either Logic's EQ or TB Equalizer to widen samples if need be by boosting/cutting the mid/side frequencies. I don;t really like to use Stereo widening effects all that much they just don't sound right to me.
Old 1st March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse ➑️
I use a either Logic's EQ or TB Equalizer to widen samples if need be by boosting/cutting the mid/side frequencies. I don;t really like to use Stereo widening effects all that much they just don't sound right to me.
I have found that M/S EQs like the one found in the Brainworx V2 give you a lot better control over widening a sound or an entire mix than those purpose built stereo widening plug-ins, if you know what you are doing obviously. I still like to use the S1 Imager on simple stuff like Piano or a narrow sounding synth from time to time though.
πŸ“ Reply