Quantcast
What are most popular EQ for Rap Vocals - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What are most popular EQ for Rap Vocals
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
What are most popular EQ for Rap Vocals

what the most use EQ in wave plugins for rap vocals? trying to get that clean and clear vocals and get my vocal sound right in the mix...

And what are the most popular compressor for rap vocals heh
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Guru
Use the search function. I don't think the compressor or EQ cares that the music is Rap, it just processes the source.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
SM7b
Old 29th January 2013
Gee
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Chris is right. There isn't really a genre specific eq or compressor. I dont think theres is one from waves that i couldnt make work so Pick from your waves bundle and try and make it work
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee ➑️
Chris is right. There isn't really a genre specific eq or compressor. I dont think theres is one from waves that i couldnt make work so Pick from your waves bundle and try and make it work
I use the stock cubase EQ all the time.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➑️
SM7b
Hey I think you stole my line lol
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 ➑️
Hey I think you stole my line lol
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use the uad pultec pro, Cambridge eq, t racks pultec eq, and ddmf neve eq mostly. As Chris has said the cubase eq also. I will insert a channel from my ghost sometimes as well for a lil eq.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

For clear sounding vocals, i would stay away from any EQ's and compressors that color the sound.
As far as the rap genre, the EQ's, & Compressor do not care if its Rap, Rock or Opera music.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering ➑️
For clear sounding vocals, i would stay away from any EQ's and compressors that color the sound.
As far as the rap genre, the EQ's, & Compressor do not care if its Rap, Rock or Opera music.
What does color the sound mean? Excuse my ignorance
Old 30th January 2013
Certain plug-ins color the sound if you insert it on a audio track.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffael77 ➑️
Certain plug-ins color the sound if you insert it on a audio track.
well, I'm sure he discerned that much before asking what "coloring" the sound actually means

Coloring the sound is when an eq or compressor imparts a bit of difference on the Tonality of the sound.. small changes in Timbre, Tone, and overall feel of the sound that automatically occur when using that particular plug-in.. this is what "coloring" is
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➑️
Use the search function. I don't think the compressor or EQ cares that the music is Rap, it just processes the source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➑️
I use the stock cubase EQ all the time.
Yep me too. For most cuts or LPF/HPF I just use stock Cubase. The only time I ever use other EQs anymore is when I want the specific sound a plugin gives - and I'm going to assume none of them give a 'rap' sound.

Typically I use Waves API550B the most, and V-EQ4 the second most, I would say, and those both 'color the sound' (I find just putting the V-EQ4 on a channel is the more noticeable one). The 15/20k boost on the API550B does something really really nice to the top end I find, and just putting the V-EQ4 on a track makes it sound thicker in the low end (I usually prefer it for adding low end).

Though, the less you need to EQ, the better ....
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
SSL Channel from waves + lead vocal preset and/or any of the 1176 soundalike plugins with "ALL" ratios MIGHT give you a familiar, high end vocal sound... Ish.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Im with the guys near the top, any plugin will really do. Although they all sound different for the most part, you need to find the ones that you gravitate towards. In todays day and age there is so much choice it really does make it overwhelming for those starting out, I get it. I think the best thing to do is start with the basics of what your daw comes with and then expand from there.
Old 31st January 2013
EDF
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The default. If I find my self using too much EQ, I aim for a better performance.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I also use Waves SSL EQ
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Whatever I happen to be using is the most popular.

edit: that emoticon and my avatar pic have matching shades.
πŸ“ Reply