Quantcast
Playing beats live for the first time: any advice? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Playing beats live for the first time: any advice?
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Playing beats live for the first time: any advice?

Hi everyone!
I've been producing beats for over 5 years, but I never made a live show with my beats.
And now I'm about to participate in a local beatmaker contest, and I will have to play a 1-minute live set in a month.
And I have no idea what should I do. How do you play live? I mean, what pieces do you actually play? Kicks? Bass? Maybe you trigger samples? (my music is more melodic than sample-cut).

I can manage to use an MPC2500 (with which I'm not very familiar, but I have a month) or a Maschine with a laptop (with which I'm more familiar).

Thanks a lot for helping me out!
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Definitely just go the Maschine route and just do mute/solo tracks and some alterations/drops. Don't over think it, the audience has probably never heard the beat yet so try to look at it from a newcomer's perspective and just make it fun.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You happen to live in San Antonio? There's a beat-off (lulz) here in town in about a month. If not, awesome coincidence. Sorry I cannot answer, just wondering if you're here too ha.

Peace
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd just bring 2 tracks and make sure my stuff is mixed tight (like tight, low end in chek everything and sounding good on a PA, if you're not confident on your own get your stuff mixed) and limited to commercial standards.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I'm not in San Antionio and not even in US, I am from Eastern Europe.
Any other advice?
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahuel ➑️
I'd just bring 2 tracks and make sure my stuff is mixed tight (like tight, low end in chek everything and sounding good on a PA, if you're not confident on your own get your stuff mixed) and limited to commercial standards.
+1
/spacebar
/bboystance
done
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
If you play the stuff from a laptop, make sure there's something under it on the table to decouple it from the vibrations (subs, etc.) because either you got a solid state disk in there or your usual harddisk could object against heavy vibrations and quit without warning. Another good thing would be to either bring your soundcard/interface (which HAS XLR outputs, does it....?) or provide something (isolation line transformer, D.I., etc.) with XLRs out. Never EVER bother a soundguy (soundgirl, soundthing) with minijacks. Except if you like trouble. Or best, try to speak to the person that will be responsible for sound on that evening and find out what you are up to.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd definitely think that the maschine+lappy >mpc for live work
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Many thanks, especially for the hard drive tip. I have never thought about it.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I would just set up a bunch of scenes on Maschine that you can trigger. Set your sync time to quarter notes or something and then go nuts triggering different scenes. Maybe add a few snare rolls or use the knobs to bring in fx. You'll definitely make a better impression if you at least attempt a bit of improv along with hitting play. Try to look busy. Make your art look complicated.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thanks. By "triggering scenes" on Maschine you mean that I make audiosamples for my scenes and then I just trigger the wav's?
Would I better be using Maschine as standalone or inside Ableton?
By the way I am also thinking of playing with Massive a little in the terms of FX etc.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamboyant ➑️
Thanks. By "triggering scenes" on Maschine you mean that I make audiosamples for my scenes and then I just trigger the wav's?
Would I better be using Maschine as standalone or inside Ableton?
By the way I am also thinking of playing with Massive a little in the terms of FX etc.
You could do that if you have audio samples. Otherwise just use Maschine standalone and trigger your various midi patterns.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If Ableton is your DAW of choice, it may be easier to do the performance on Ableton. You can do it with Maschine but I feel like if you already have it in ableton, you can seamlessly perform it that way. Just use your keyboard/maschine so it can do all the drops/articulations that you want to perform.
πŸ“ Reply