Pitching Of 808 Kicks - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pitching Of 808 Kicks
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Pitching Of 808 Kicks

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to create the 808 kicks that is the foundation of the majority of Hip Hop tracks today.

And when I mean by creating I mean more of the effect of a the start of one 808 kick triggering the end of the previous 808 kick. This way you can pitch the 808s to make a bassline with them.

From my research I know fruityloops is very famous for achieving this effect, However people have said that it can be done on any sampler etc.

The only problem being is through all the various youtube videos and forums I have read no-one has actually accomplished this on anything but fruity.

I am running Logic 9 and would love some help in regards to achieve that 808 / basslinish sound.

Many Thanks
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Method #1: Download an 808 kick from the internet. Google "music machines tr-808". Import that kick sample into Logic. Load up ESX24 sampler, and drag the 808 into ESX, set it up so you can play it at different pitches across the keyboard. There ya go.

Method #2: Load up a soft synth, create a sine wave oscillator, modulate pitch with an envelope so the pitch drops down really fast from 2 octaves up, set the decay on your main amp envelope to be long enough to give you the desired length of boominess
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I like using Ultrabeat for this.

1) Start with an 808 sample that seems to fit well with the other elements your song.
2) Tune that sample to C, create a new waveform.
3) Load that a few times into the "Drag and Drop Samples" template of Ultrabeat. Tune each one to the note that you want.
4) Program your drum sequence. You can use the duration window at the bottom of the screen to specify how long each hit should last for.
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
jdsowa & DJ Overdrive: Thank you both for your input.

jdsowa: I have tried method 1 and unfortunately it didnt come out as expected. I think that i'm failing to mention is that each pitched 808 pitched kick has pitch bend on it so that it has a smooth transition from one kick to another. I'll give method 2 a go and see if it works.

DJ Overdrive: I've also tried this method but the ultrbeat doesn't seem to have any pitch bend abilities from one hit to the other.

I'm effectively looking for the effect that fruitloops DrumSynth has in terms of the pitchbend and cuttoff functionality.

I'm looking for an effect similar to the below:

Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Try mono and portamento on
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
ForWerd: Thank you.

I have tried this with the EX24 to no avail. I have recently bought Guru. Does anybody know if this effect can be created in this?
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I created my own 808 kick/bass with ES-2. PM me your email and I'll send you my patch.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In ESX24:

Sort of up at the top on the left you'll see: "Voices: 64". Turn that down to 1 (or you can also just click the 'mono' button). Then right below you see a slider marked "Glide". Turn that up and down to taste. To match the effect in the song you linked, you'll want the glide to be very fast, obviously.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwico ➑️
Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to create the 808 kicks that is the foundation of the majority of Hip Hop tracks today.

And when I mean by creating I mean more of the effect of a the start of one 808 kick triggering the end of the previous 808 kick. This way you can pitch the 808s to make a bassline with them.

From my research I know fruityloops is very famous for achieving this effect, However people have said that it can be done on any sampler etc.

The only problem being is through all the various youtube videos and forums I have read no-one has actually accomplished this on anything but fruity.

I am running Logic 9 and would love some help in regards to achieve that 808 / basslinish sound.

Many Thanks
In exs24 sampler, load the 808 kick sample and drag the range from its starting note to the next octave or two. Uncheck pitch and one shot and the sustain depends on the sample or you ASDR setting in the sampler. Good luck
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Exs 24 and I just do the pitchbend by hand and/or draw it in, in the midi region.
It's not complex, but a lil time consuming.

I have no idea what you mean by
"the start of one 808 triggering the end of the other"
If you want the next note to cut off the previous you'll want to click the mono button in the exs 24 sampler.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Any sampler with mono and portamento (aka glide) engaged. I do it with Ableton simpler constantly.

I also like the 808 Tom because it can go super low smoothly and has some nice harmonics that are slightly different than the 808 kick. You could use fm8's 808 Tom patch for this and engage mono + portamento on it as well. In fact, you'll find a lot of soft synths that are analog modeling can do this.
Old 18th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sup guys? New guy here to put in his two cents.
I start by loading up Ultrabeat, opening up the "drop and drop samples" drum kit, and load one of my 808 patches. (There's a plethora of free 808 kits available for free dl on the net, search search search). The trick is to load the patch onto Voice 25. Voice 25 spreads the patch across the upper registers of your midi controller, allowing you to play in different keys. The next step for me is to use the lower... frack, IDK if it's an LFO, or Envelope or whatever... but you'll see it, the lower "section" of ultra-beat to tune the note to C1. This tunes the 808 to a much lower frequency, which is obviously what you want. You're pretty much good to go after that. I usually pair my 808 sub with a punchy kick, and adjust the attack of the sub to allow the kick to do the punching. Hopefully this wasn't too redundant, but you never know
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
just raise/lower the 808's key it's played in? not that hard..
Old 18th March 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Logic actually comes with a 808 kit in EXS24 just sayin..
πŸ“ Reply