Quantcast
AKG C214 for Rap Vocals - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG C214 for Rap Vocals
Old 4th February 2013
updated mix

moved all of my acoustic foam into my control room and started trying to record songs out of the closet... so far im noticing a bit off mid to hi frequency flutter but that can be fixed with 2-3'' auralex foam. I have noticed mixing seems to be way different... heres an updated mix of the song
Attached Files

Throw It Away (new mix).mp3 (3.97 MB, 1238 views)

Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Sonically it's great, keep it up.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Listened to this at work and it sounds much better. Can't wait to try mine out. Unfortunately booked up for the week.
Old 4th February 2013
Thanks man, made this strictly to test out the hardware and post to GS, didn't see the point of working on something complicated and not have everything technically figured out yet

Sent from my LG-C729
Old 4th February 2013
Let me know what you think of it, I'm considering selling my isa one... I feel like a neve clone may better suite my needs

Sent from my LG-C729
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonJukx ➑️
Let me know what you think of it, I'm considering selling my isa one... I feel like a neve clone may better suite my needs

Sent from my LG-C729
But listen, it won't change your voice!
Old 4th February 2013
Changing my voice isn't the goal, better better the presentation in the mix... the isa is "clean" but seems to lack "force" or dare I say "edge". I find myself mixing for hrs to bring that out in the mixes now...

Sent from my LG-C729
Gear Guru
Quote:
Changing my voice isn't the goal, better better the presentation in the mix... the isa is "clean" but seems to lack "force" or dare I say "edge". I find myself mixing for hrs to bring that out in the mixes now...

Sent from my LG-C729
Instead of changing the pre, add a compressor to the chain. the Isa sounds fine.
Old 4th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➑️
Instead of changing the pre, add a compressor to the chain. the Isa sounds fine.
Hardware compressors always tend to scare me for some reason, something about having the to do so much on the way in... I usually do most of my compression with plugins. I find it easier to adjust the settings according to the level of energy in the vocal take

Sent from my LG-C729
Gear Guru
Quote:
Hardware compressors always tend to scare me for some reason, something about having the to do so much on the way in... I usually do most of my compression with plugins. I find it easier to adjust the settings according to the level of energy in the vocal take

Sent from my LG-C729
By using a compressor, I have a feeling that your performance will be better, and the sound will be much better as well, compared to most compressor plugins. Get something like a DBX 160. Don't be afraid to commit early.
Old 4th February 2013
Interesting, dbx compressors are fairly cheap on ebay right now too... I know this may be a newb question but... do I risk coloring my chain or muddying its quality by adding a compressor? and I do what would be the best one to try?

Sent from my LG-C729
Gear Guru
Quote:
Interesting, dbx compressors are fairly cheap on ebay right now too... I know this may be a newb question but... do I risk coloring my chain or muddying its quality by adding a compressor? and I do what would be the best one to try?

Sent from my LG-C729
Coloring your chain is exactly what you need. I think 50 cent used a DBX 160 compressor on Get Rich or Die Tryin'. It's not gonna muddy up the quality, in fact it's going to enhance its quality.
Old 4th February 2013
Nuff said... definitely think I'm try one out, I'm just so unfamiliar with them, its definitely going to take some time to used to that

Sent from my LG-C729
Gear Guru
Quote:
Nuff said... definitely think I'm try one out, I'm just so unfamiliar with them, its definitely going to take some time to used to that

Sent from my LG-C729
They're actually one of the easiest compressors to use. 2:1 or 3:1 compression, threshold until the vox hit around -3 to -5 at peaks, overeasy on, output to taste. Done.

It depends on your budget of course, but I know you can find them for around 300 used.
Old 4th February 2013
Yeah I see them for around 220 now, might buy one next month... heard some of your work on the tube btw, good stuff man

Sent from my LG-C729
Gear Guru
Quote:
Yeah I see them for around 220 now, might buy one next month... heard some of your work on the tube btw, good stuff man

Sent from my LG-C729
Thanks, I'm dropping my album this week!
Old 4th February 2013
Dope, tried to hit your inbox but my GS mobile app is tweaking, ill follow u on twitter now... good luck with the album

Sent from my LG-C729
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
After a long shipping delay due to several misadventures, I am finally getting mine today. Hopefully I can find time this week to give it a go, and post my thoughts.
Old 11th February 2013
Sounds good man, what are you running it through?

Sent from my LG-C729
Old 11th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sounds good man, what are you running it through?

Sent from my LG-C729
It seems that it is going to be pretty bright, so I am going to try it though a MA5, and drive the output xformers a bit. This "should" darken it a bit, and perhaps take some of the edge off. The pre also has pretty beefy lows, so that may help if the mic is lacking a tiny bit in that area. Then maybe a clean basic pre, like the ones in the MR816. I have others but, I think those should give me a good idea of what I may be able to do with the mic, in most situations.
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Used this mic on a couple of vocalists. One was a typical sing in the chorus girl and the other was a reggae singer. We were all impressed with the sound.
Old 11th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Shnapper ➑️
Used this mic on a couple of vocalists. One was a typical sing in the chorus girl and the other was a reggae singer. We were all impressed with the sound.
Both were ladies?
Old 12th February 2013
Since removing the c214 from the closet/booth, I've had a lot better results from it... ill upload a sample in the am

Sent from my LG-C729
Old 12th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
na the other was a guy that sounded like peter tosh
Old 13th February 2013 | Show parent
New Recording

[QUOTE=jrides;8738066]Both were ladies?[/QUO

my boy recorded the hook at his studio with a akg c3000 (it suprisingly sounds ok), im on the rap verse using the akg c214... i think this sounds bit beefier than my previous post
Attached Files
Old 13th February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
It sounds cool man....So how do you like the C214? I have one and its got a colored yet bright sound. I am looking for something a little warmer.
Old 13th February 2013
Its a bit bright for me as well... decent low end but the high can be a bit "piercing", it sounds better on females but isn't unusuable on males. I'm a bit on the fence about keeping it or not, seeing how its playing the role of my main vocal mic.

Sent from my LG-C729
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Since removing the c214 from the closet/booth, I've had a lot better results from it... ill upload a sample in the am

Sent from my LG-C729
Closet can give a boxy sound. Good idea to move.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaby ➑️
It sounds cool man....So how do you like the C214? I have one and its got a colored yet bright sound. I am looking for something a little warmer.
What pre are you using?
Old 13th February 2013
Yeah, working on treating my room now... its definitely an investment I should have taken seriously years ago

Sent from my LG-C729
πŸ“ Reply