Quantcast
Distorted Beastie Boys type vocals - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Distorted Beastie Boys type vocals
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Distorted Beastie Boys type vocals

Anyone know of some good plug-ins/settings for distorted vocals?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That type of saturation is best accomplished in analog devices, microphone choice, pre-amp choice, and a clean attenuator before D/A gives you the John Lennon / Beastie Boys tube overload saturation.

You could try any of the tube modeler saturation plugins, or even a guitar amp modeler, it will get close but it will not be the same.

SPL's Twin Tube // Plugins - PLUGIN ALLIANCE - ENGLISH

and

FalFilter Saturn // FabFilter Saturn - Multi-band distortion and saturation plug-in VST VST3 AU AAX RTAS AudioSuite

are under 200 and will get you closest, but my original caveat still holds.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Check out if your DAW has a lo-fi stock plug
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are heaps, I'll throw D16 Groups Redoptor into the heap. It's a tweakable tube sim.

Seek out some of the many freebie guitar amp sims on the market. IK Multimedia has one that gets you started as does studio devil.

It's really not a hard effect but having more distortion and colour options is always good.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i use a bull**** mic that's made out of plastic
MCA
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
+1 for the Saturn....I like that one a lot and the stock logic clip distortion plug is coo.
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
word!
Old 25th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Like Dayl said there are tons of distortion plugins. I have a bunch, and one of the ones I use a lot on vocals is PT's stock rtas AIR distortion.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCHON ➑️
That type of saturation is best accomplished in analog devices, microphone choice, pre-amp choice, and a clean attenuator before D/A gives you the John Lennon / Beastie Boys tube overload saturation.

You could try any of the tube modeler saturation plugins, or even a guitar amp modeler, it will get close but it will not be the same.

SPL's Twin Tube // Plugins - PLUGIN ALLIANCE - ENGLISH

and

FalFilter Saturn // FabFilter Saturn - Multi-band distortion and saturation plug-in VST VST3 AU AAX RTAS AudioSuite

are under 200 and will get you closest, but my original caveat still holds.
LOL
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFalcon ➑️
LOL
Nice trolling bro.

Keep it up you gonna Rick the onternetz and be awesome 1337 ur pipi gonna be like over 9000 Inchz and all.

U win.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am wondering for years how to get that driven vocal sound of Gangstar records, particularly their last one, The Ownerz, vocals there are so nicely driven, crispy, sharp, but yet warm. For example like Rite Where U Stand with Jadakiss:

Sibilants are fat almost like-a white noise, like a radio sound, but yet not strenuous for the ears.

I must say that "The Owners" and Afu-Ra's "Body Of The Lifeforce" are two of my favorite records, soundwise. E. Sancho was working on both records if I recall well.
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Nice trolling bro.

Keep it up you gonna Rick the onternetz and be awesome 1337 ur pipi gonna be like over 9000 Inchz and all.

U win.
I do not need your confirmation of victory as I knew I had already won....that is why I posted a reply.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Try singing with a chest infection
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I do not need your confirmation of victory as I knew I had already won.
That's not a victory you sad sack. Not even close. Wake up, step away from your computer and take a look outside. There are wars that need you right now, the earth is being raped and slaughtered in front of our eyes and that's just the start... and you want to talk about ...what... nothing.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl ➑️
That's not a victory you sad sack. Not even close. Wake up, step away from your computer and take a look outside. There are wars that need you right now, the earth is being raped and slaughtered in front of our eyes and that's just the start... and you want to talk about ...what... nothing.
You are trying to preach to me on a site about spending lots of money on pointless material things.
With as many posts as you have it is easy for everyone to see that it is you that should step outside.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You are trying to preach to me on a site about spending lots of money on pointless material things.
With as many posts as you have it is easy for everyone to see that it is you that should step outside.
It's a hobby / profession site neither of which is pointless if you think about it.

Yes I have a high post count, I work at a computer most of the day.....hahaha sorry but that's just a funny and typical remark..'high post count ' it means nothing ... but regardless ... I'm not the little baby making childish little 'I won!' comments over sweet nothings.

Hahaha run along child.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SM7.

Er, no wait, SM58.
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Uh...wouldn't distorting a tube amp be the best way to achieve tube overload?

Also, the distorted vocal sound on the Beasties' records is not the result of a distorted tube amp.
Old 2nd February 2013
dry
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Whatever mic you choose. Make sure it's strictly handheld and never rock the mic with the pantyhose. Strap on your ear goggles and your ready to go Although you may wish to get Mario to man your boards
Old 3rd February 2013
MBR
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I use amplitube on its lo-fi setting

Lots of good fuzz effects etc to mix in
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBR ➑️
I use amplitube on its lo-fi setting

Lots of good fuzz effects etc to mix in
Yessir, amp mods are nice for that. The jimmy 1 is dope.
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawsasquatch ➑️
SM7.

Er, no wait, SM58.
IMO SM57 or AKG/Telefunken D19 would be a better choice.

peace
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper0815 ➑️
IMO SM57 or AKG/Telefunken D19 would be a better choice.

peace
What I should have said was, the Beastie Boy sound is literally accomplished with an sm58. I know, because I was there.
πŸ“ Reply