Quantcast
Need some questions answered - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need some questions answered
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Need some questions answered

Hey guys. I have a question that I need some pro's to answer. Pro's defined as People that are making a living in the music business. You all know who you are..
First off. I've been a singer/songwriter/performer, country/folk music most of my life. Not full time as I never had the guts to give up stability.
My oldest son who's 26 has been into the rap music scene for about 15 years.
He is well known in our for his beats, his skills as a songwriter, and most definitely as a producer.
So here's my question. His group has been involved with a Manager for about a year to a year and a half. No real contract. His group (there are 3 of them) plays about 3 shows per month. Not big shows. We'll say 200 people.
They headline these shows. Gotta ad that there is apparently a huge difference between this genre of music, and mine. When my trio plays a show, it's a 2 to 3 hour show. Apparently standard procedure with the rap genre is 2 or 3 maybe 6 songs for an entire show. There are typically 3 to 6 different rappers performing. Most of these performers pay to play and my sons group which headlines most shows either play for free or might get 100.00 to 150.00. They sometimes sell cd's and t-shirts at their shows. Not really sure who's getting that money. Unless they open for a rapper who was big say in the 90's. Then they play for free.
My sons groups manager recently opened a recording studio, about a 30,000 dollar investment which really isn't much. I know because I have a studio myself. So the manager will call my son last minute, have him drive 80 miles round trip to do a beat or whatever for someone at the studio. My son will spend say 4 hours there, and the guy will pay him 20.00 to 40.00 dollars. If my son does this 3 or 4 days per week, he might pay him 100.00 to 150.00.
My son is at wits end as he is really good at what he does. He actually does the beats at our place, and brings them there to the studio.
My son doesn't work a regular job as this manager keeps telling him that once the studio opens, he'll pay him 175.00 to 300.00 per week as he'll be there full time.
Now back to my trio. We play out a couple of times per month. We get 225.00 to 350.00 per show. If we book through an agent, he or she gets 10%. This to me is the norm, and what my son is dealing with is not such a good deal.
My son has met with some really heavy hitters in the past year. MTV reps, and so on. People like what he's doing.
I'm looking for some professional advice here. Thanks in advance guys..
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4ree ➡️
Hey guys. I have a question that I need some pro's to answer. Pro's defined as People that are making a living in the music business. You all know who you are..
First off. I've been a singer/songwriter/performer, country/folk music most of my life. Not full time as I never had the guts to give up stability.
My oldest son who's 26 has been into the rap music scene for about 15 years.
He is well known in our for his beats, his skills as a songwriter, and most definitely as a producer.
So here's my question. His group has been involved with a Manager for about a year to a year and a half. No real contract. His group (there are 3 of them) plays about 3 shows per month. Not big shows. We'll say 200 people.
They headline these shows. Gotta ad that there is apparently a huge difference between this genre of music, and mine. When my trio plays a show, it's a 2 to 3 hour show. Apparently standard procedure with the rap genre is 2 or 3 maybe 6 songs for an entire show. There are typically 3 to 6 different rappers performing. Most of these performers pay to play and my sons group which headlines most shows either play for free or might get 100.00 to 150.00. They sometimes sell cd's and t-shirts at their shows. Not really sure who's getting that money. Unless they open for a rapper who was big say in the 90's. Then they play for free.
My sons groups manager recently opened a recording studio, about a 30,000 dollar investment which really isn't much. I know because I have a studio myself. So the manager will call my son last minute, have him drive 80 miles round trip to do a beat or whatever for someone at the studio. My son will spend say 4 hours there, and the guy will pay him 20.00 to 40.00 dollars. If my son does this 3 or 4 days per week, he might pay him 100.00 to 150.00.
My son is at wits end as he is really good at what he does. He actually does the beats at our place, and brings them there to the studio.
My son doesn't work a regular job as this manager keeps telling him that once the studio opens, he'll pay him 175.00 to 300.00 per week as he'll be there full time.
Now back to my trio. We play out a couple of times per month. We get 225.00 to 350.00 per show. If we book through an agent, he or she gets 10%. This to me is the norm, and what my son is dealing with is not such a good deal.
My son has met with some really heavy hitters in the past year. MTV reps, and so on. People like what he's doing.
I'm looking for some professional advice here. Thanks in advance guys..
Your son can always say "No". i dont see the dilemma here. Someone offers him money, a one off job, for x amount of money. He can say yes or no. he can ask for more money and turn it down if he doesnt get it. Or he can take whats offered and do the gig. If he says "No", the manager will find someone else to do the beats for that amount of money. If that new person isnt every good, the manager will come back to your son and agree to pay more. If the new guy is doing well, your son will no longer have that gig. there is no dilemma here, only supply and demand. sure it completely sucks that he's making $40 per beat. sure it sucks they make $100 a show. But if thats where they set their own value, or agree to have it set for them, they cant complain. I'm sure as a parent it sucks to watch your talented son offered so little. welcome to the modern music business.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…