Quantcast
2-4 tricks - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2-4 tricks
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
2-4 tricks

Yo yo. Just wanted to hear some tricks you guys use on single sampled snares to give the variation? Is it just a velocity thing, or do some go as far as automating verb or am I over thinking it.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The only thing ive done is drop a snare super close to create a flam type vibe
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdan ➑️
The only thing ive done is drop a snare super close to create a flam type vibe
Gotcha like a 64th or so to smear it kinda. You'd just do that on one of the snares I guess. Anything else?
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I will sometime's automate a delays feedback on certain snare hits. That's very song dependant though. Also layering every other hit with some kind of percussion e.g. tambourine underneath every 4th hit or something. That's just a couple of thing's to be honest theirs a lot of different things, it's all about experimenting. Could play around with automating the ADSR of a sample as well.

L
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To the OP
Are you asking while mixing or while creating a beat ?
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Duplicate the sample/channel and resample/bounce with diff. fx.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalP ➑️
I will sometime's automate a delays feedback on certain snare hits. That's very song dependant though. Also layering every other hit with some kind of percussion e.g. tambourine underneath every 4th hit or something. That's just a couple of thing's to be honest theirs a lot of different things, it's all about experimenting. Could play around with automating the ADSR of a sample as well.

L
Trans design sounds like a quick easy effective way. I use logic and automating busses is annoying to me. I need to do it some more I guess. Thanks for the info
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxi ➑️
To the OP
Are you asking while mixing or while creating a beat ?
Probably more so in creation something I can do quick while I'm still fleshing out the arrangement. Ideas?
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Trans design sounds like a quick easy effective way. I use logic and automating busses is annoying to me. I need to do it some more I guess. Thanks for the info
Yeah man, it is pretty quick and can be very effective, I also use Logic and find automating the busses really easy, just turn on automation and click where volume is to give you different choices of parameters to automate, Select send 1 if your delay is on bus 1, and then click and draw as needed, cutting and pasting makes it a lot quicker! Sorry if you already new this!!

L
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by datakvlt ➑️
Duplicate the sample/channel and resample/bounce with diff. fx.
So print/copy the same snare with diff efx. Cool, what type fx do you like and why
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yeah man, it is pretty quick and can be very effective, I also use Logic and find automating the busses really easy, just turn on automation and click where volume is to give you different choices of parameters to automate, Select send 1 if your delay is on bus 1, and then click and draw as needed, cutting and pasting makes it a lot quicker! Sorry if you already new this!!

L
Nope I didn't. I'd try to write with a controller and mess up,and wanna throw my Mac out the window....trying to undo and end up losing stuff I wanted to keep and.......it goes on brother. Thanks for the tips!
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noidea. ➑️
So print/copy the same snare with diff efx. Cool, what type fx do you like and why
Just duplicate and then with more open envelope/longer verb/delay tail most of the time or open/close filter a bit. Either this or assign velocity to diff parameters, instead of straight automation.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by datakvlt ➑️
Just duplicate and then with more open envelope/longer verb/delay tail most of the time or open/close filter a bit. Either this or assign velocity to diff parameters, instead of straight automation.
Thanks.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One trick would be to have the same snare ( or a second one ) pitch down and played at very low volume on every other hit. You can do the same trick with reverb. You can also have two version of the same snare, one natural and one filtered just a little bit,, and alternate between the two. Same thing with sample length.

I personnaly find it more rewarding to work on the kick and hihats instead. A solid snare playing at constant volume on 2-4 is not something that bothers me.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
One trick would be to have the same snare ( or a second one ) pitch down and played at very low volume on every other hit.
Or put it through a doubler/chorus. That way the 'pitch' of the extra channels is modulated slightly between hits. Turn it down low so you can just hardly hear it, will give some width and variation
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
One trick would be to have the same snare ( or a second one ) pitch down and played at very low volume on every other hit. You can do the same trick with reverb. You can also have two version of the same snare, one natural and one filtered just a little bit,, and alternate between the two. Same thing with sample length.

I personnaly find it more rewarding to work on the kick and hihats instead. A solid snare playing at constant volume on 2-4 is not something that bothers me.
I feel you, I just like the sound of a varied snare. Sounds more natural like a humans doing it ya know. Maybe I'm looking too deep into it. Idk
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

L
+1

Also on some tracks I layer a triangle on only the 2 and 4 snares, but not on the runs & fills.
Old 25th January 2013
DAH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
pitch down\up, eq on\off, reverb send on\off, just a tad so it does not sound like two DIFFERENT snares
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I record a live snare over the top of my programmed ones, if they're too rigid, then mess around with the right panning balance.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
have another similar but different snare underneath.
automate it's level.
be subtle.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot ➑️
Or put it through a doubler/chorus. That way the 'pitch' of the extra channels is modulated slightly between hits. Turn it down low so you can just hardly hear it, will give some width and variation
Great tip
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I like to have a room bus that I put everything in at different levels,maybe I'll try to tweak that a bit with the snare adding a bit more or less wit different hits.......Plus with all the info on here so far, I have a lot cool stuff to try thanks everyone.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…