Quantcast
SP-1200: Which units do not have SSM2044 chips? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SP-1200: Which units do not have SSM2044 chips?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
SP-1200: Which units do not have SSM2044 chips?

SP-1200 experts -
I am looking at possibly picking up an SP-1200 reissue from a seller but want to understand what I would be getting.

How can you tell if the re-issue SP-1200 has the original SSM2044 filter chips in it or the discrete filter replacement after the SSM's were no longer available? I am told that serial num '7030' means it has SSM2044 in it and that serial '7031' means it has the discrete filter. Is this true?

Does anyone have pictures of what the discrete unit looks like on the inside for use as a reference? I might be able to get the owner to take a picture of the inside.

Also - has anyone had experience listening to the difference from the SSM2044 filtered outputs vs the discrete? Which do you prefer and why (just curious) .

Regards,
Electric
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I read the same thing in the sp 1200 book. 7031 is the different filter. Sp 1200's sound different, well not really just noisier.

Now I think about it Cut Creator has or had one of the very last final edition models. At the time, I didnt strike me as different. I didnt check the serial number though hmmmmm now im wondering too. I dont think theres many of those with the different chip. It only effects the last of the final edition models. If the one your buying isnt a final edition, dont worry about it. Although that would be interesting to hear the difference.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
thats right, 7030 is the same as original (but not so noisy) and 7031 has different chip
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
..in fact I have never seen a 7031...I have two of the march Β΄98 final editions..both are 7030...I bought another black sp1200 (not the final series)for our artists/label.
and i think they all sound the same..and if the sound is different it is because
the filter envelopes (there are pots on the inside) have been messed with..for example on one unit channel 1 and 2 have different filter slopes...

I would always go for the newest model I can get!!!
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonsquash ➑️
thats right, 7030 is the same as original (but not so noisy) and 7031 has different chip
I thought 7031 has a 'discrete' filter. As in the filter is made up of individual opamps, resistors, capacitors etc. (so it should take up a lot more room or have a separate pcb).

This is what I am trying to get straight. I never heard that they swapped in a different 16-pin DIP IC on 7031. (the only alternative I can think of would be a Curtis VCF chip)
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdss ➑️
Ok...this is what I discovered.

The 2 final versions of the SP-1200 were numbered 7030 and 7031. Both had black cases.

The 7030 stayed with the SSM2044 filter chip. The same as the previous grey versions.

The 7031 used an op amp in place of the SSM2044.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not...but the chip fell out of production and EMU redesigned that section of the SP 1200 to use op amps instead.

I just bought an 7030 this week on eBay...excited to get one finally!
This is from a different thread on the same topic. You're right according to this post.
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Doesn't seem to be any photos of the SSM2044 filter replacement daughterboard in the later SP1200s.

The two SSM2044 filter chips...

The replacement daughterboard...

Old 28th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Eureka!! SimonInAustralia - this is awesome stuff.

That is first photo I have ever seen of the discrete filter. I was starting to believe they were a hoax. Is this from your own personal unit? Curious what the serial# is. Is it one of the last black units?

That PCB layout is nuts. It appears to be a pin compatible replacement for the chips. You can see the actual Pins on bottom side of PCB snap directly into the DIP socket for the two SSMs underneath. Cool!! Can you adjust the freq cutoff with the pots like you can with the SSM chip?

Would love to see a schematic of those puppies. What a cool DIY project that would be.

Any info you could share about the unit or the photos would be awesome. I am very interested in the history behind these rare units.

Thanks again for sharing!

-Electric
Old 17th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia ➑️
Doesn't seem to be any photos of the SSM2044 filter replacement daughterboard in the later SP1200s.

The two SSM2044 filter chips...

The replacement daughterboard...

wpuld be nice if someone could post again these pics, cannot see, out of time
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

Old 18th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia ➑️

THANKS
Old 18th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric ➑️
Any info you could share about the unit or the photos would be awesome. I am very interested in the history behind these rare units.
This was bought as the mainboard by itself on eBay, from someone in France for 300 Euro, back in 2013.

I think, from memory, it was a NOS factory spare part, so possibly never part of a unit, if that is correct. I don't have any details saved, so not 100% sure about that, but I think it looked brand new when I received it, as you can see in the photos.

I was thinking about putting it into an SP12 that I have, swapping the SP12 mainboard out, but will probably build an SP1200 around the mainboard, with power supply, cloned front panel PCBs, and some sort of custom case (unless I find an SP12/1200 without mainboard in the meantime). With prices of SP12s now, it's probably best not to mess with it to get this mainboard going.
πŸ“ Reply