The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's up with all the Hi Hats?
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray ➡️
Thanks, Story.

Good tip on the Pe-1c.. I'm always thinking about it in terms of boost- Im gunna test it on some shill/brittle material and get a feel for how it subtracts.
Summit EQF-100 is good for that too.
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➡️
You're noticing the effects of music made by and for high people. When you're high, you want sizzly high frequencies "goodies" that tickle your ear. The more hats the ear has to pay attention to, the more the mind is blown. This phenomenon is also why you had so many Dr. Dre-style high shrill sine wave melodies in 90s G Funk and riding music. When you work for Mattel and you're coming up with a toy design for 5 year olds, you have to try to put yourself in the mind of a 5 year old. When you're a producer or engineer making rap music, you have to do kind of a similar thing.
Odd, when I was high I gravitated towards bass...
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use static pans, auto pans, & Doppler to move the hats around if there are a lot. It keeps them moving to keep them out the way of static stereo sounds & adds to track movement. Gotta keep em ticking though
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbongsilver ➡️
Odd, when I was high I gravitated towards bass...
I always dig the bass.
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville ➡️
This might be a new thing - I'm used to Hip Hop tracks having like, a closed hat, maybe an open hat working in conjunction, then maybe like a cymbal and a perhaps a shaker.

I open up these sessions and I've got three hats one of which is panning back and forth, a cymbal that hits a lot, a tambourine, two white noise risers/falls, and three synths with significant content over 8k. Yeesh!

I've been noticing this fairly often - what's up with all the high freq stuff?
new thing? I tend to think of having one or no hi hats as a new thing

did you forget about gfunk? lots of tracks from The Chronic would often have at least 5 or 6 types of hi-hat or cymbal sounds playing around with one another.
i remember quite a few tracks from All Eyez On Me having two different hat samples/patterns playing right/left with some added OH's and some cymbals at times too ...
i guess it comes down to arranging them sparsely and blending them well enough not to confuse the listener
📝 Reply