Quantcast
Audio Clocking: 48khz or 88.2khz??? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio Clocking: 48khz or 88.2khz???
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Audio Clocking: 48khz or 88.2khz???

What's going on guys. It's me LogiKIL again. So, I'm working on my EP (Hip Hop/Rap). I'm recording everything myself. I have one song recorded and mixed, but then I realized I was clocking at 48khz. After some research, my understanding is that 48khz is no different than 44.1khz and I SHOULD be clocking at 88.2khz. Is 88.2 that much of an upgrade? Will it change my sound THAT much? And if so, SHOULD I go back and re-record what I've already started??? I look forward to the insight you guys might have to offer. Thanks.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
im at 24/44.1 . I never found going to 88 worth it for me. Others may have their opinions. All in all I dont think it matters. IF the song is good, then the song is good. going from 44 to 88 is like adding maybe 1% to the overall "greatness" of the song, r taking away from it lol. I'd say expirment and see what makes the most sense. Just remember that the best someones ever going to hear your music is 16/44.1 unless they have your project file, or you render it and send it to them at a higher rate. And in the world we're living in, they will probably hear it as an mp3.

Also while your thinking of going up to 88, there's guys out there purposely taking out bit crushers and down sampling their music because it sounds cool. Just a little something to think about.
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
yea I'm at 24/48 and I love the sound. I'm just a sucker for those "do's and don't's" rants lol. thanks for your input my man.
Old 24th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Do a search and you'll find enough info to keep you reading for DAYS!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I prefer 24/48k also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
24/44.1 is fine.

Nobody is gonna listen to your project and be like "mannn this album could've been great if only he hadn't recorded it at 44.1khz!!!!"

Unless your recording symphonic music or jazz, anything above 48 is a waste of disk space
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Pretty much, i agree with the consensus...

HOWEVER, some gear responds better at 48k... I'm thinking of my Virus TI where I can hear a very real difference at 48 vs 44.1, since the filter and oscillators are getting filtered closer to the upper limit of our hearing....

same with real analog synths, maybe that extra 2k of bandwidth lets a little more "sheen" through....

Of course, at the end of the day, you're going to have to SRC the whole track, unless you are either recording analog(to tape) or to another device (Masterlink, DA1000, 2nd computer, etc)....

Use your ears, do what sounds best!
πŸ“ Reply