Microphone For Hip-Hop + RnB Vocals - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Microphone For Hip-Hop + RnB Vocals
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Microphone For Hip-Hop + RnB Vocals

Hey,

Very typical question but I want to keep it short.
I have noticed that my vocals are very brittle, and too sharp. I am rather satisfied with my preamp, but I want to change my microphone. Any suggestions (with a reason or experience) would be much appreciated. I want something that makes my vocals sound larger than they are. Like drakes vocals, very clear, not annoying, but with a warm low end that enhances my vocals. But still with a mid-high end that isn't too sharp and forward but very clear and punchy. My budget is about $2k. ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME!

Right now my setup is as follows:
"Rode NT2A" into a "Golden Age Pre-73" into an "M-audio Fast Track USB Interface" going straight into "Logic 9".

THE FIRST SONG ARE MY VOCALS.

THE FIRST VERSE OF THE SECOND SONG IS THE SOUND IM LOOKING FOR.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. THIS IS VERY NEEDED.
Attached Files

Late Nights.mp3 (9.24 MB, 240 views)

Number 15 Feat. Drake.mp3 (3.90 MB, 176 views)

Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'd say an ADK TC-Au with a 67 or 47 capsule would rock your world. An SM7 perhaps if your in an awful acoustic space
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Guru
Manley Ref C.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Honestly, I think you are straight with the set up you have. I'm listening on my work computer through crappy headphones. But your vocals sound fine to me.
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I agree with Shobiz I personally think you sound fine and im.a stickler when it comes to "thin" sounding recordings...I know the sound your referring to, I use to want the same until I realized I could achieve the exact same "full sound" I just had to get more precise with EQ n Compression, those 2 things is where I'd start troubleshooting before droppin $$$ on a mic when you already sound fine

Sent from my SGH-T959
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Yep, it is the mix. Not the Mic
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobiz ➑️
Honestly, I think you are straight with the set up you have. I'm listening on my work computer through crappy headphones. But your vocals sound fine to me.
Thank you for your response! You see the problem really isnt on laptop speakers, or in headphones. But once I put it on my car speakers, the other instruments drown the vocals in the mix. And its more than mixing cause I mix it on great monitors, and they sound good on smaller outputs. Then if I remixed it to sound good on my car speakers and other LARGE sound systems, larger than 9' monitors. The mix no longer sounds good on my headphones, or laptop speakers.

So I'm still convinced it is the microphone. I know low end Rode mics tend to be thin, brittle, and my preamp is very warm, to counteract that. But the sound just isn't where I want it.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEDiorMusic ➑️
Thank you for your response! You see the problem really isnt on laptop speakers, or in headphones. But once I put it on my car speakers, the other instruments drown the vocals in the mix. And its more than mixing cause I mix it on great monitors, and they sound good on smaller outputs. Then if I remixed it to sound good on my car speakers and other LARGE sound systems, larger than 9' monitors. The mix no longer sounds good on my headphones, or laptop speakers.

So I'm still convinced it is the microphone. I know low end Rode mics tend to be thin, brittle, and my preamp is very warm, to counteract that. But the sound just isn't where I want it.
Why don't you just hire a mixing engineer?
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Is your room treated?
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Do you use reference tracks to mix along with so you can A/B your mic with the reference ? I used to have the same prob, I just took the time to REALLY learn my room, now my mixes sound legitimate on ever source, I suggest learning your room to a detailed extent, as Chris said you can hire a ME but if your like me you enjoy mixing your own stuff, although the budget u posted for the mic would be certainly sufficient to mix a nice mixtape....to each his own though

Sent from my SGH-T959
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
People already suggested what I was going to say, but, you could check out an RE20, nice mic, quite controlled low end on vocals. Also control of the proximity effect, which is useful in general. Hope you find what your looking for man

L
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you for your response! You see the problem really isnt on laptop speakers, or in headphones. But once I put it on my car speakers, the other instruments drown the vocals in the mix. And its more than mixing cause I mix it on great monitors.
Your great monitors and are all coming from a pretty basic interface. Not trying to bash your set-up, but I imagine the low quality conversion is masking something that's becoming visible on other systems that aren't played from your interface.
I agree with other people that a big part of the other instruments drowning out the vocals comes down to what's going on in the mix.

I agree the mic is not the cream of the crop. Shop around. I'd look in the used market.
Personally if I had 2k and had to pick up a mic, I'd pick up a Peluso P67.
Why?
Cuz they're Fricking sweet.
I know I'll have someone chime in and say, "how can you recommend a mic for someone's vocals you've never heard. That's ridiculous"
I'd say to them they're right I can't.
Buuuut I'd definitely recommend you at least "TRY" this mic out. If it ain't working. Send it back. Keep searching.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
My budget is about $2k.
Put that $2k towards a Lynx Hilo.
πŸ“ Reply