Quantcast
There's no winning - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
There's no winning
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
There's no winning

I upgraded my mic game recently. I bought a U87AI. The gentleman that sold it to me said that I needed a good preamp and suggested I get a 1073. After buying that I hear from a friend that the U87AI isn't the best mic for hip-hop and instead of the 1073 I should of got the 737. What do you guys think? I'm trying to have the right gear to make a great hip-hop album someday. A U87AI and a 1073 isn't enough I guess..
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Well I'm pullin through with a 8i6 and AKG Perception 220, so I think you're pretty well off on getting a good vocal take with that gear
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you can't get a good sound from a 87 into a neve then it ain't the gears fault.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There is no best mic for hip hop, first and foremost. It's the best mic for the person. That said, the U87/U87AI are very common mics used for Hip Hop/Rap, almost what I would consider "industry standard" so on paper, you didn't make a bad choice.

As for the pre, I am not familiar enough with either to compare. I have tracks I produced and was in the studio with both but was just there for the session, not engineering or anything. I have tracks with both 1073 clones and a 737, different rappers but with U87AI as the mic, think they both sound great. The 737 is one of those pieces that a ton of people claim it sucks but you see it almost everywhere.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKid ➑️
If you can't get a good sound from a 87 into a neve then it ain't the gears fault.
I'd have to agree. Stick with that vocal chain and get better at your craft.

Oh wait... Which 1073 are you using exactly? If it's not a vintage Neve 1073, then yes by all means IT"S THE GEAR! SELL SELL SELL!

Oh wait... You're using a u87ai... You know those are complete piles of **** right?

lol. I hope you know I'm just kidding.

What I'm not kidding about though, is that the 737 really is a pile of **** preamp!!! Overpriced, thin sounding crap. And don't even try to use the compressor on that thing, it's just so... Useless.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ah, the old "best microphone for hip hop." I've been away... I haven't heard that in a while! Where is Dre, you know? He's got the God damn headphones, it would seem like he'd come out with a microphone, and mother****ers would flock to that microphone, seeing as how it would be "best for hip hop" and mother****ers don't know that microphones don't really care about what kind of music they record.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
It's actually the BAE 1073 There's no winning-imageuploadedbygearslutz1358830836.424323.jpgDMP
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue42kilo ➑️
It's actually the BAE 1073 Attachment 326540DMP
You can't make great sounding tracks with that, come on haha.

In all seriousness, you have all the gear you need to make great music. Don't worry about the gear anymore, and go make some music.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thank you, everyone, I do appreciate it.
πŸ“ Reply