Quantcast
Tracking with compression - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tracking with compression
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbechristos ➡️
But they wouldn't use a cheap compressor during tracking as I said. For catching peaks it can be ok but nothing else.

So Pro recording engineers will agree with that as well
I certainly wouldn't run one of my u67s through one of my 1066s and into a cheap compressor, but if I were stuck using a cheap channel strip like the Presonus in the OP, I'd have no qualms about using the built-in compressor. The signal is already passing through half-assed electronics; I may as well do whatever I can to bolster those sonics and, as Mr Lewis mentioned, enable a good performance from the artist.
Old 22nd January 2013
  #32
Lives for gear
 
orangeoctane's Avatar
Who cares what the percentage is? Everyone's workflow is different. If after trying it for yourself you find you don't like, or aren't comfortable with it, then don't. No big deal. As long as you are getting the results you want in the final product, then everything is groovy.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeoctane ➡️
Who cares what the percentage is? Everyone's workflow is different. If after trying it for yourself you find you don't like, or aren't comfortable with it, then don't. No big deal. As long as you are getting the results you want in the final product, then everything is groovy.
Agreed. But by virtue of the fact that this thread even exists in the first place, I'd say it's a safe to assume that the OP is not getting the results he wants.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #34
Gear Addict
 
Tha Govna's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
To the OP, go ahead bro!

I'd leave the EQ bypassed though.

Start out with the compression just catching errant peaks, then go for more if you want once you've learned how the compressor you're using behaves/until you get more comfy compressing going in.

I do light compression most of the time as mentioned, but sometimes I go harder if I think it sounds good and never look back.

I usually have my compressor set to a fast attack, 2:1 - 3:1 ratio, and I set the release depending on the source (rap vocal).

Have fun!
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Ken Lewis's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawsasquatch ➡️
but I am going to continue to point out that every -- er, sorry, Ezionjd; we'll just say 99% of -- professionally-recorded vocals are done with compression on the way in.
Dude, stop exaggerating! It cannot possibly be more than 98%. Get your facts straight dude. I mean, with me personally, its probably like 99% of all artists I've ever recorded I'm using compression during recording, but there's gotta be some rouge engineer out there ruining the curve
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis ➡️
Dude, stop exaggerating! It cannot possibly be more than 98%. Get your facts straight dude. I mean, with me personally, its probably like 99% of all artists I've ever recorded I'm using compression during recording, but there's gotta be some rouge engineer out there ruining the curve


U MAD BRO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawsasquatch ➡️


My good man, please try to relax. I am not "mad", nor am I "insane". Might I remind you that you're the one getting all foamy-mouthed at the prospect of professional engineers using tools that have been around for over half a century.
I know some engineers pro or not, like to record with comp.
Some record without comp, and i don`t care what people prefer.
But for you to state that ALL current commercial songs is made this way, is generalising in the worst possible manner.

Which led me to think that you were either ;

1. Insane
or
2. Clueless

And i remember you being pretty knowledgable from previous posts, so that rules out #2

#1 might be temporarily?

EDIT : Sorry, didn`t see the new posts, and im not getting into a percentage discussion here.

Last edited by Ezionjd; 22nd January 2013 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: Newer posts!
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
There are a lot of advantages to tracking with compression….
- analog compressor in your chain
- committing to a sound
- knowing what you’ve got when it’s tracked
- enhancing the performance for the vocalist (although, as has been mentioned, you can just monitor through compression and not print it).

Downsides?
- Don’t screw it up because you can’t undo it.


Most good engineers I know track vocals with compression. I almost always do. But there are always exceptions when you might feel it’s better to skip the compression on the way in. I used to just use light compression on the way in, but now I pretty much do 90% of the vocal compression on the way in. 10dB reduction? Sure.

I would advise anyone new to track without compression. If you don’t have solid fundamentals tracking vocals, then adding compression is just going to hamper you even more. It’s like learning to do doughnuts before you learn how to drive straight. Once you have a really solid feel and can get killer vocals, THEN start using compression on the way in (provided you have a compressor that sounds good doing it of course).

As for EQ, my personal opinion is that you should only do it if you are monitoring the singer on speakers. If you are in a one room situation and listening on headphones, it’s damn near impossible to eq anything accurately. That said, if you are recording yourself through the same mic and pre every day, you can kind of start to zero in on what your typical EQ settings are and confidently fly a little blind.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezionjd ➡️
I know some engineers pro or not, like to record with comp.
Some record without comp, and i don`t care what people prefer.
But for you to state that ALL current commercial songs is made this way, is generalising in the worst possible manner.

Which led me to think that you were either ;

1. Insane
or
2. Clueless

And i remember you being pretty knowledgable from previous posts, so that rules out #2

#1 might be temporarily?

EDIT : Sorry, didn`t see the new posts, and im not getting into a percentage discussion here.


Yes. OK.

I haven't been privy to literally every commercial recording session to date. Far be it for me to use teh innernetz as a platform for such hyperbolic platitudes.

And yet, I stand by this: there's a much greater chance that all current hit vocals were tracked with compression than not. And I'm loving how much this upsets you. It's so flippin' awesome.

Also, "generalising in the worst possible manner". I would think that such severe designations would be reserved for statements like "Danes are uptight internet trolls with no grasp of hyperbole, nor a rational sense of comparative analysis", or somesuch. But if you consider an internet topic about the use of compression on hip hop vocals to top the list of "worst things ever", that's your certainly prerogative.

I think this has officially become my favorite thread on Gearslutz.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Ken Lewis's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawsasquatch ➡️


U MAD BRO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
actually no, i was co-signing you. you seem to kind of have an ax to grind in this thread tho. Not really sure why it got so heated with everyone.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis ➡️
actually no, i was co-signing you. you seem to kind of have an ax to grind in this thread tho. Not really sure why it got so heated with everyone.
Uh, I was co-signing your co-sign.
Old 23rd January 2013
  #42
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawsasquatch ➡️


Yes. OK.

I haven't been privy to literally every commercial recording session to date. Far be it for me to use teh innernetz as a platform for such hyperbolic platitudes.

And yet, I stand by this: there's a much greater chance that all current hit vocals were tracked with compression than not. And I'm loving how much this upsets you. It's so flippin' awesome.

Also, "generalising in the worst possible manner". I would think that such severe designations would be reserved for statements like "Danes are uptight internet trolls with no grasp of hyperbole, nor a rational sense of comparative analysis", or somesuch. But if you consider an internet topic about the use of compression on hip hop vocals to top the list of "worst things ever", that's your certainly prerogative.

I think this has officially become my favorite thread on Gearslutz.
I think we pretty much agree on the subject anyhow, you just made an assumption on the topic that rubbed me the wrong way.
And you know what they say, about assumptions being the mother of all..
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Ken Lewis's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Tracking vocals with compression? how bout 14dB of compression? Watch this from about 1:15.....

Vocal Recording Chain - Nerd Blog 1 - MIGGS - Ken Lewis - YouTube

and if you want to hear / see the final vocal

"Girls & Boys" by Miggs (Official music video) - YouTube
Old 23rd January 2013
  #44
Moderator
 
Bender412's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I track with that much compression on a daily basis, and my front end is NOTHING compared to that! Still sounds good and I've been doing it that way for 17 years. Even used an Alesis Micro Limiter on the way in and it worked for me.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 450 views: 150712
Avatar for Crazy4Jazz
Crazy4Jazz 24th January 2021
replies: 102 views: 10525
Avatar for Bob Ross
Bob Ross 29th June 2009
replies: 30 views: 11215
Avatar for WarmAudio
WarmAudio 30th August 2012
replies: 121 views: 25117
Avatar for BobbyJames
BobbyJames 17th May 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump